Elevation gauge

Hi,

I'd love to have a small gauge or indicator that I could put on my dashboard that would tell me the elevation of my current location (sort of like the dashboard compasses some people have). Does anyone know if such a device exists? I would assume it would have to be GPS based. Thanks, Pete of camnpete

I'd love to have a small gauge or indicator that I could put on my dashboard that would tell me the elevation of my current location (sort of like the dashboard compasses some people have). Does anyone know if such a device exists?

One of these?

These need constant adjustment for the current ambient pressure ( 'weather' ) referenced to sea level pressure - thats why aircraft that use them call ATC to get the current reading, then adjust the instrument to compensate.... so unless you have a method of getting the current ambient pressure outside your truck, referenced to sea level pressure, this instrument is not for you.....

Edited by janandsteve

...so unless you have a method of getting the current ambient pressure outside your truck, referenced to sea level pressure, this instrument is not for you.....

I agree. When I mentioned my Casio watch with a barometric capability, I did not mention that I live about 10 feet AMSL, so it is not an issue for me. :)

When I mentioned my Casio watch with a barometric capability, I did not mention that I live about 10 feet AMSL, so it is not an issue for me. :)

That doesn't really matter, unless you only care about the elevation at your current location at any given time. Since you already know the elevation at your location, I doubt that you got this watch just for that purpose.

Go to your local auto parts store like AutoZone or O'Reilly's and ask for an altimeter. My dad had one in his Suburban, it was about 3 inches in diameter and attached to the dash. It needed to be set each time out, and only gave an estimated altitude because it depended on barometric pressure and that was constantly changing.

... I doubt that you got this watch just for that purpose.

I didn't mention a purpose that drove my purchase; therfore, the doubt expressed above is baseless.

Right. So either you got the altimeter just to tell you what you already know (for which I'd honestly congratulate you), or you posted that message just to stir the pot. <_<

So either you got the altimeter just to tell you what you already know (for which I'd honestly congratulate you), or you posted that message just to stir the pot.

Again, you are making a nonsensical attempt to divine my motives.

I don't need to explain myself to you.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa