Upgrading to another GPS

CacheHownds

Okay this has probably been asked 1000 times, so here's 1001!

I've been using a ETrex Legend with some, but limited success. I fight more with the GPS than I do finding anything!

Costco.ca has Garmin 60 CSX's on for $200, which looks like a real good deal. I've been trying to check some of the reviews on here (not as helpful as one may think) and the main complaint about them is the lack of ability to do paperless cacheing. Is it really that important? can someone recommend a decent but not overly expensive model that you can do paperless with if it's that convenient?

Thanks

Paperless isn't required but is nice. Basically you just get the notes,logs...ect,a lot of the extra info that's on the website.

Some caches are alot easier to find if you have the notes and hints, that's the advantage. You can still have that info without a paperless GPS but then you have to print it out or right it down and carry it with you.

IME, the accuracy from one GPS to the next isn't that big of a difference. I've had a $500 GPS that was no more accurate than the one I bought for $120. I have a smartphone that's just as accurate as any I've owned. If it gets you within 30 feet, it should be good enough to Geocache with and I have yet to use a GPS that can't do that pretty consistantly.

Don't upgrade for accuracy unless you plan to spent a lot of money. Upgrade for better features, ease of use or for replacing a broken GPSr.

I think the entry level Garmin Dakkota 10 or Oregon 450 are good as are the eTrex Venture HCs. Magellan has a couple of excellent entry level GPSrs: Explorist GC and 310.

I believe the Explorist GC can be had for $100 new or around $80 used. It is a paperless GPS.

The Venture, I believe is also paperless and can be had for $80-$120 new or used.

The others mentioned abover are probably going to be more than double the price of the GC and Venture but then you get a lot more features.

I recently upgraded to a paperless model and really love it! It's so much easier than printing off endless bits of paper as you just have all the caches right there in your GPS (although you need to be a premium member to do pocket queries).

After much agonising I chose the Garmin Dakota 10, which I think is about the cheapest option for paperless geocaching) and it's been brilliant so far.

Okay this has probably been asked 1000 times, so here's 1001!

I've been using a ETrex Legend with some, but limited success. I fight more with the GPS than I do finding anything!

Costco.ca has Garmin 60 CSX's on for $200, which looks like a real good deal. I've been trying to check some of the reviews on here (not as helpful as one may think) and the main complaint about them is the lack of ability to do paperless cacheing. Is it really that important? can someone recommend a decent but not overly expensive model that you can do paperless with if it's that convenient?

Thanks

I think that's a terrific buy for a really great handheld. I paid $229.00 for mine at GPS City in Calgary last year. I also have a Garmin 62s which is paperless and accepts pocket queries without using additional programs and shows descriptions, hints and logs, etc., so it's pretty handy. I presently use both devices for geocaching but I still print off a hard copy map of the area I'm in because I like a quick referral to major intersections, etc. I find myself using the 60CSX as often as the 62s and tend to be happier with the incredible accuracy of the handhelds rather than the paperless feature.

so stil being fairly new to cacheing, what's pocket queries?

That's a way to download as many as 500 geocaches (or more) at once on to your device. I don't know about other brands and models, but I can build and download a pocket query into my 62s with no problem. By using various programs (GSAK is one) I can also download pocket queries into my 60CSX but sans the full descriptions, etc. Info about pocket queries is on the geocaching.com website. A lot of contributors to this forum can give you detailed info regarding using GSAK, etc., on non-paperless handhelds.

I think the entry level Garmin Dakkota 10 or Oregon 450 are good as are the eTrex Venture HCs. Magellan has a couple of excellent entry level GPSrs: Explorist GC and 310.

I believe the Explorist GC can be had for $100 new or around $80 used. It is a paperless GPS.

The Venture, I believe is also paperless and can be had for $80-$120 new or used.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Explorist GC. The 60CSX would be great for doing more backroad exploring for fishing and would be a great price for me, but the reality is right now I'm looking something more for geocaching with the family, and probably fits my budget better.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Explorist GC. The 60CSX would be great for doing more backroad exploring for fishing and would be a great price for me, but the reality is right now I'm looking something more for geocaching with the family, and probably fits my budget better.

Well, I don't know a ton about it because I don't personally own one. However, from everything I've read and another person I know that has one says, it's very easy to use, accurate and designed specifically to be a 1st GPS for a Geocacher.

Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me. I have a Tom Tom 720 auto GPS which as far as I can tell won't do the job, although I can plug co-ordinates into it and get to a location.

Hubby however, has a Garmin Rino 120 GPS but has only used it for hunting entering in his way points. I looked it over and cannot find where to enter co-ordinates if that's possible, or if it's possible to download them, the instructions don't speak to that issue (that I could find). Not only that, the cable which he's never taken out of the box is a serial cable, so it means buying a USB to serial interface cable, money I'm not prepared to spend if it won't do the job. So, before I start checking into purchasing something more suitable, does anyone know if I can actually download caches into this Garmin Rino, and do 'paperless caching'... many thanks

A Delorme PN-40 or 60. Price this one out. Paperless.

I use Garmins and the PN-40. Plus a Nuvi.

Go to a store and test them out....when I saw how readable the PN40 was in sunlight, I bought it. My wife likes it because it is easy to use.

By having a Garmin and a Delorme, you will have the best of both worlds, because some COs will use a Garmin to place and a lot will use a Delorme. Since my wife and I have different brands...it helps our chances for a QUICK find.

Edited by alohabra

Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me. I have a Tom Tom 720 auto GPS which as far as I can tell won't do the job, although I can plug co-ordinates into it and get to a location.

Hubby however, has a Garmin Rino 120 GPS but has only used it for hunting entering in his way points. I looked it over and cannot find where to enter co-ordinates if that's possible, or if it's possible to download them, the instructions don't speak to that issue (that I could find). Not only that, the cable which he's never taken out of the box is a serial cable, so it means buying a USB to serial interface cable, money I'm not prepared to spend if it won't do the job. So, before I start checking into purchasing something more suitable, does anyone know if I can actually download caches into this Garmin Rino, and do 'paperless caching'... many thanks

You can download caches to the Rino or enter them manually. To enter them manually, mark a waypoint, then edit the coordinates to match the coordinates of the cache you are searching for.

I use the Magellan eXplorist GC and I love it. The cost is now under $200.00. It will allow you to do paperless caching and I find it much better. I now tend to just load a bunch of caches in an area and read as I am finding them. If you are looking to spend a little more you can go for one of the other eXplorist like the 510, 610 or 710. They have better maps and other things that they can do like a camera built into the unit. Just me but I love mine.

As far as whether to upgrade to paperless or not, I would say it depends on how much you think you'll be getting into the game.

Consider that you've only found 2 and now you're considering upgrading.

I managed to find over 1000 without a paperless GPS, but it was painful!!!

I got REALLY sick of printing or writing up the cache info at around 600 or so. By 1200 I was going to quit caching if I had to write up one more page by hand. UGH!!!

I used a really old GPS for my first 100 or so. It was old enough that it wasn't WAAS enabled, so it often gave locations that were off 100 feet.

I used a bottom-of-the-line Garmin H after that, that was HIGHLY accurate, but didn't have maps or paperless.

Now I am SO HAPPY!!!!! I got a paperless model.

If you're going to be playing a long time and finding a lot of caches, then it's cheaper to upgrade to a good unit now, then buy another unit that is not paperless first, then later you're going to want a paperless machine.

If you only plan on finding between 100 and 500 caches in the next 5 years, then don't worry about it. Any machine will do the job.