Choosing a GPS

phouse512

Hello all,

I'm a new member here and I'm really excited to start geocaching. First off, I've been geocaching with friends so I know that I definitely like the hobby and I will stay with it for a while, so I'm looking for a GPS that will last me a bit. I don't mind if the GPS has a steep learning curve, as I'm pretty technologically literate and I don't mind reading a manual or some tutorials. I've been looking at the reviews here and online, and it seems like the Garmin GPSMAPS 60CSx is a pretty good GPS for the price ($219 on Amazon). As I am a student, I don't really have a big budget and the $200-250 range is just about all that I can spend. Besides just geocaching, I'm an avid outdoors enthusiast and I go camping and backpacking a lot, so the electronic compass and altimeter are also features that I like. Does anybody have experience with this model and is it good for geocaching and outdoor activities? I'm aware that this model is a few years old so I don't know if that is a bad thing in terms of GPS units. If the 60CSx is not a good unit for what I need, can anyone recommend another unit that is in the same price range but also has similar features?

Sorry for all the text, but any help is appreciated.

Phil

The 60CSX is an outstanding unit. Even though its been around for quite a while you'll still find a lot of geocachers using it. It is a great all around unit.

The only negative is that it doesn't do "paperless" caching, meaning that it won't hold entire cache pages w/hints. Most newer units have that capability.

Actually you can even get it to do that with some 3rd party software (GSAK) but it's kind of clunky.

You should check out the websites for Garmin, Delorme and Magellan (as those are the most popular in geocaching circles -- with reason).

Pay attention to the Garmin Oregon series, Delorme PN-40 (PN-60 is still outside of your price req.), Magellan "GC".

Once you have checked into them, realize that there are sales to be had from various retailers. The Magellan GC starts easily below or at your price limitations. Any of those can be found in your price range.

Now, I am not taking anything away from the 60CSx because it is the "standard" that others are compared to, only it won't do true paperless caching. Trust me, you would soon desire to upgrade to paperless, anyway! Whatchagonna do with two GPSr units? Lose money selling the used one, you betcha.

Now the price you quote of Amazon is OK, but only that -- OK. The 60CSx has been discontinued and for that reason alone, the price should be better.

Good luck, and enjoy!

I just bought a gps. My budget was $150.00. I did a lot of research and bought a slightly used Delorme pn-40 with a lot of extras for $150.00 delivered. Previously I was using a droid 2 global. I am very happy with my Delrome.

Youcan buy the 40 right now for $200.00 delivered from Amazon . Please do some research. I think you can find a paperless gps within your budget that you will very happy with. Weather it be a used or new unit. There is someone selling a Dakota 20 on the forum now for $200.00 dollars. I would jump on it.

Good luck.

I've been looking around online at your suggestions, and so far the Magellan eXplorist 310 looks good, as it has the ability to do paperless geocaching and it seems like it has gotten pretty good reviews. It seems like the SiRf StarIII is the best/standard GPS right now so the eXplorist 310 looks good without emptying my pocketbook. While I'm looking around online, is there anything else that is essential that I should look at if I want to get started with geocaching?

And finally, my final question has to do with maps and such. I've heard that basemaps are usually bad and if you want a more accurate (1:24, I think) topographical map, you need to shell out a lot more cash. Are there user-made maps that I would be able to download for the the 310 if I were to get it? Or would I end up paying a lot more money?

EDIT: Also, I've found the 310 on ebay for about $170 new. Does anybody know if this is a good deal or should I pass it?

Edited by phouse512

If your worried about maps then you may want to be looking at a Garmin. Not sure if the Explorist 310 is able to get any free topo map. GPSFileDepot has all sorts of good maps for free for Garmin units. I think you would be better off getting a Garmin Dakota 10 or 20. There is a pretty good deal on ebay for a brand new one right now. They want $159.99 and they have 9 units.

Sorry about that meant to link it for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-Dakota-10-Handheld-Touchscreen-GPS-Receiver-/280659428396?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item41589b042c

I recently spent nearly a month watching auctions on Dakota 10s and trying to see how low i could possibly get one for. I got very lucky and landed a brand new Dakota 10 with the hike and bike bundle for $122.50. But average prices sale prices on ebay have gown up on them since then.

Edited by mpilchfamily

How is your experience with the Dakota 10? I'm kind of turned off by the fact that it doesn't have an electronic compass, altimeter, and the removable storage. However, back to the Magellan eXplorist 310, is the map support by Magellan poor? Or is it just not used as often?

The Dakota 10 is great. An electronic compass and removable storage would be a nice feature but i have no need for a altimeter. But then i don't need more then 1000 caches stored in a unit. It doesn't support sat image overlays so the extra memory isn't really needed. I've also haven't had any problems getting all my maps on the unit. Sure the 20 would be better but was out of my price range. I only have a max of about $140 to spend.

Looking at the 310's specs it supports uploadable maps. I just don't know of many free maps for Magellan units. So you could be stuck with buying there maps.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries/eXplorist-310-North-America

Looks like you'll be paying $50 for there topo map set.

http://www.magellangps.com/Maps/Summit-Series

I have to say thats a better deal then Garmin's 24K maps which go for $99.99.

Edited by mpilchfamily

I just bought a gps. My budget was $150.00. I did a lot of research and bought a slightly used Delorme pn-40 with a lot of extras for $150.00 delivered. Previously I was using a droid 2 global. I am very happy with my Delrome.

Youcan buy the 40 right now for $200.00 delivered from Amazon . Please do some research. I think you can find a paperless gps within your budget that you will very happy with. Weather it be a used or new unit. There is someone selling a Dakota 20 on the forum now for $200.00 dollars. I would jump on it.

Good luck.

I would buy the PN-40 unless the Dakota 20 has a 3d compass. The pn-40 is easy to use [my wife uses it]...it has a bright visible screen in sunlight..[backlight of course]....a little power hungry though ..but never have gone down if you recharge after every use...[NiMHs of course is extra].

I would test them...delorme is buttons...and the Dakota is touch screen....

Enough said..both are paperless. I use GSAK [$30].

Edited by alohabra

I have had a PN-40 for about a year and really like it. A bit power hungry but just bringing some extra NiMH batteries along does the trick. My sister has recently got a magellan GC and it is a nice little unit. The thing I like about the delorme which really makes up for the power consumption is the maps. $30 for unlimited maps which includes 1:24's topo and aerial imagery.

I have a GPS 60CSx and think it is a great piece of equipment. I use a Dell Axim IV PDA with Cachemate software to store the cache page listing. Got the PDA used for $35. It is also a good piece of equipment.

Good luck and happy hunting.

How is your experience with the Dakota 10? I'm kind of turned off by the fact that it doesn't have an electronic compass, altimeter, and the removable storage. However, back to the Magellan eXplorist 310, is the map support by Magellan poor? Or is it just not used as often?

I suspect that you aren't getting a lot of answers about the Magellan because not a lot of people here use one. A couple of years ago Magellan seemed to go through a rough patch, and their Triton series got a lot of bad reviews, as well as their customer service. Maybe they are turning things around, though, since the eXplorist GC seems to be well-liked by a lot of people now. You might try posting questions about the Magellan in the GPS and Technology forum; somebody there might at least be able to shed some light on Magellan maps and options there.

I use a Delorme PN-40, which I like a lot. It is a bit of a battery hog. If you use is a lot, you would probably want a rechargeable battery pack. I use the lithium AA batteries, and those last pretty well. The maps that the PN-40 comes with seem good to me--they are routable, and from what I've used they are accurate. I don't use the satellite imagery or data that you can get with the $30 subscription. Delorme also has their own forums here, if you have any specific questions about their products.

Thank you all for your help!! I plan to spring for a Delorme PN-40, as it has the most features that I want for a relatively good price. All of your input has helped a lot, and I hope to bring you good news of my upcoming geocaching adventures!!

Phil

Thank you all for your help!! I plan to spring for a Delorme PN-40, as it has the most features that I want for a relatively good price. All of your input has helped a lot, and I hope to bring you good news of my upcoming geocaching adventures!!

Phil

Good unit but I advise you to invest in a battery charger and rechargeables. The PN40 eats batteries like potato chips. If your unit doesn't have the latest firmware be sure to upgrade it. It brought in some nice new features (and at least one very annoying one).

A quick note about the compass in the GPS60 series (the only ones I have experience with ) and electronic ones in general; my opinion is that you are FAR better off using a standard compass-you can get them far cheaper than the extra it would cost to have it on your GPS unit. They arent entirely accurate, and need to be calibrated regularly. Even if you do it once a week-thats 52 times you need to do it. Whereas a standard compass doesnt need it at all. And, is more reliable, in my experience. Doesnt run out of batteries either.

Also, on paperless caching-if you have either an Adroid, iphone, or (I am assuming) a BB, you can purchase the Geocaching app for your phone. I use it on my Android, and love it!! I can go to pretty much any place I like, open up the app, and off I go. It also supports GPX files, if you are a paying member.