Boating and Caching

jgc3

As might be expected from our screen names, we do much of our geocaching by bicycle (road, mtb, beach cruiser, you name it) but within the last year we have become avid kayakcachers. We bought 'yaks last fall and now, when we travel, we find ourselves looking to rent kayaks as often as we rent bikes. Lots of hydrocaches here in South Jersey and the surrounding areas. We have, perhaps, gone a little "overboard" on occasion as when we tried to go for FTFs on a series of caches on Game Creek the day after New Years (GC2K4XK is the one we finally got to a couple days later)

This is what we found a few hundred meters from the put in:d9c27511-7a68-4189-a4d4-ec8258ea37b4.jpg

We're going back to get the rest today, rain or no rain!!

I've hosted several boat-caching events and people love them!

My GCXAZA Pirates at Cherokee Lake? event had a group of cachers on two pontoon boats, one ski boat and a jet ski on an all-day cruise to find 22 caches on islands or on the shore of Cherokee Lake in Tennessee.

This is caching with style!

407bddcf-bf8b-41c5-b901-c563a87a8b90.jpg

Here's a certain well-known Reviewer relaxing on my pontoon boat between caches:

e6ee4f6d-0603-4852-a531-f73504babdda.jpg

Here a motley crew searches for an underwater cache made more easily available when the water level is down.

c3574f0b-c6fd-4423-bfdd-2af77b4c82d3.jpg

Boat-caching events always get great logs, like this one or this one.

I sold my boat and thus adopted out most of the 15 island caches on Lake Martin in Alabama but they are still being maintained by the new owners and are regularly found. That lake tour takes you to some beautiful remote islands, a state park, the Kawliga Bridge where a morose Hank Williams penned the song by that name, an abandoned gold mine accessible only by boat and numerous other interesting spots. I have hosted two events there where boatloads of cachers took the 10-cache half-day tour on pontoon boats. Great fun!

I still own a few island caches that you can swim to or get by boat, like this one and this one.

My weekend event at Lake Guntersville Alabama gave cachers an opportunity to get 11 boat-access-only caches around that lake from my pontoon boat.

Pirates088.jpg

At my 3-day Alabama Open Invitational event I included a half-day deep-sea fishing expedition, not exactly caching but the cachers sure enjoyed it!

Here a couple of California NUTS take on the briny deep off Alabama shores on a break during a week-long cache tour of the South:

2007-10-2711-28-06_0027.jpg

Here I am with some that became the geocacher's dinner that night:

DSCN3974.jpg

Go for it! Water outside the cache is a good thing!

When you get your article published let me know and I will link to it in my geocaching magazine, The Online Geocacher http://onlinegeocacher.com

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

d9c27511-7a68-4189-a4d4-ec8258ea37b4.jpg

You carry a spare tire for your kayak? Dude! You're doing it wrong!

No, TAR, that's for the mountain bike I keep strapped on the aft deck :lol:

Nice pics, BTW. Looks like you are enjoying yourself!

We have "unofficial" kayaking events probably 10 times a year up here. Just 5-12 kayakers get together and go.

Being new at this Geocache thing, I was amazed to find a local cache, newly placed nine day previous, on a pond I long ago often paddled/fished. An opportunity to log a FTF possessed me and the following evening, after work, my sweetie joined me for a shared canoe ride to the GZ for my first FTF. It had been about four years since we enjoyed canoeing and look forward to a few more outings this summer.

Thanks for the post. Sounds interesting... lol going overboard is not good when in a kayak.. Cycling caches, I had two people log one of my caches last week travelling by bike.. first time I'd heard of it..

As might be expected from our screen names, we do much of our geocaching by bicycle (road, mtb, beach cruiser, you name it) but within the last year we have become avid kayakcachers. We bought 'yaks last fall and now, when we travel, we find ourselves looking to rent kayaks as often as we rent bikes. Lots of hydrocaches here in South Jersey and the surrounding areas. We have, perhaps, gone a little "overboard" on occasion as when we tried to go for FTFs on a series of caches on Game Creek the day after New Years (GC2K4XK is the one we finally got to a couple days later)

This is what we found a few hundred meters from the put in:d9c27511-7a68-4189-a4d4-ec8258ea37b4.jpg

We're going back to get the rest today, rain or no rain!!

Appreciate the post. Sounds like a great time would of been had by all.

Thanks for the offer of a link on your site, Happy to put one up for your

site as well... cheers

I've hosted several boat-caching events and people love them!

My GCXAZA Pirates at Cherokee Lake? event had a group of cachers on two pontoon boats, one ski boat and a jet ski on an all-day cruise to find 22 caches on islands or on the shore of Cherokee Lake in Tennessee.

This is caching with style!

407bddcf-bf8b-41c5-b901-c563a87a8b90.jpg

Here's a certain well-known Reviewer relaxing on my pontoon boat between caches:

e6ee4f6d-0603-4852-a531-f73504babdda.jpg

Here a motley crew searches for an underwater cache made more easily available when the water level is down.

c3574f0b-c6fd-4423-bfdd-2af77b4c82d3.jpg

Boat-caching events always get great logs, like this one or this one.

I sold my boat and thus adopted out most of the 15 island caches on Lake Martin in Alabama but they are still being maintained by the new owners and are regularly found. That lake tour takes you to some beautiful remote islands, a state park, the Kawliga Bridge where a morose Hank Williams penned the song by that name, an abandoned gold mine accessible only by boat and numerous other interesting spots. I have hosted two events there where boatloads of cachers took the 10-cache half-day tour on pontoon boats. Great fun!

I still own a few island caches that you can swim to or get by boat, like this one and this one.

My weekend event at Lake Guntersville Alabama gave cachers an opportunity to get 11 boat-access-only caches around that lake from my pontoon boat.

Pirates088.jpg

At my 3-day Alabama Open Invitational event I included a half-day deep-sea fishing expedition, not exactly caching but the cachers sure enjoyed it!

Here a couple of California NUTS take on the briny deep off Alabama shores on a break during a week-long cache tour of the South:

2007-10-2711-28-06_0027.jpg

Here I am with some that became the geocacher's dinner that night:

DSCN3974.jpg

Go for it! Water outside the cache is a good thing!

When you get your article published let me know and I will link to it in my geocaching magazine, The Online Geocacher http://onlinegeocacher.com

Congrats on the First to find... the first of many more i hope.. but I must admit I haven't managed too many recently... still a find is better than another dreaded DNF!

Being new at this Geocache thing, I was amazed to find a local cache, newly placed nine day previous, on a pond I long ago often paddled/fished. An opportunity to log a FTF possessed me and the following evening, after work, my sweetie joined me for a shared canoe ride to the GZ for my first FTF. It had been about four years since we enjoyed canoeing and look forward to a few more outings this summer.