GEO TOOLS

I love the idea of having to use a special tool to retrieve a cache once you locate it. When placing my hides I try to add a level of fun by having the finder able to easily locate the cache but not so easily retrieve it. My "geo tools" can be as simple as a reaching tool or a ladder to more unusual devices or implements. So far I have had my finders need a hook on a pole for one cache and binoculars for another (SPOILER!). Im thinking about employing a fishing pole in some way for my next hide. A classic would be a headlamp for a night cache, right? I guess you could include climbing ropes or boats as tools, as well. If you have had to use a unique tool to retrieve a cache I'd love to hear about it.

I have one cache placed on an island only accessible by boat...although, there is a great story of a pair of cachers making it to the island with a blow up kayak....hilarious pictures in their log.

I went to a cache site yesterday that needed a mirror to see the cache...I have to go back to get my smiley since I didn't have a mirror with me.

I found a cache that was about ten feet up a sign post. It was not magnetic, but a fake bolt stuck in a hole of the fence post. I came back with a Tidy Cats bucket, but still couldn't reach it. Walked back to the car and grabbed an ammo can to make up the distance.

The following cachers were not as nice. They used sticks and hiking poles to knock the cache to the ground. I guess they thought it was magnetic and could slide it back to the top. Instead they had no choice but to leave it on the ground. After three muggelings, the CO gave up.

I have no problem with making your caches harder to find. Just be aware that there are a lot of cachers out there that wont hide it back properly because the time spent is keeping them from finding the next cache.

Edited by Don_J