explorist gc

zippers2011

Hello,

I have the explorist GC. I really can not figure out to use it. Can someone give me the high level on how I am to use it:?I can get the caches ON the GPS.....it is going out and using it where I get lost.

I just got an IPHONE 4 and DL the free app and it works pretty good but I want to use the GPS.

Questions I have:

What does the premium membership do for me? I just signed up for it....

What is paperless geocaching?

Will my GPS work like the phone does with the map and line showing where I am and what direction to go in towards the geo?

PM gives you access to Pocket Queries(PQ). They allow you define parameters to pull up to 1000 caches into a .gpx file. Which can be transfered directly into your unit. Your unit is known as a paperless unit. Meaning with that .gpx file comes all the important information about the caches and you can view that on your unit.

Yes the unit will show a very basic map, showing little more then major roads, and where the cache is on that map with a straight line between you and the cache. There is also a "compass" screen that will give a pointer to point the direction and tell you how far you are from the cache. You'll want to run through the manual and get a feel for the basic features. Check Youtube for videos on your unit to get a btter idea how to utilize all its functions.

All this info about a PM and more can be found here.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/

First - Paperless Caching. This is the ability to load a good bit of the cache data onto your GPSr. (Short and Long description, hint and last 5 logs, typically.) Assuming you have a signal, you can also access the cache stuff on your Iphone. It is called "paperless", because before everyone had phones that would do that, it was load the cache pages into the GPSr, or print and carry them.

Second - Premium Membership. This gives you the ability to take full advantage of paperless caching, be instantly notified of several things, and access Premium Member Only caches. To fully realize the potential of paperless, you'll need to learn how to set up Pocket Queries (PQ's), which is, imo a fairly straight forward process. When you run a pocket query, you load the resulting GPX file into your GPSr, and it has all of the data I referenced above, for each cache returned by the query. The GC will hold 10,000 cache pages, which is by a wide margin the most of any GPSr, without some creative workarounds. You can also set up instant notification (to your phone or email) of events that you designate. (There is a list.) A lot of people have a notification for newly published caches in their local area. Once they get the message, they race out to get First to Find (FTF). Premium Member Only caches might not be important to you, but a lot of times people will apply that tag if the cache has a decent chance of being muggled, or if they want the cache to be a reward to others who help support the game. I've read there are workarounds that will let a member log a PMO cache, but I've been premium since about day 2, so I haven't needed to look into it.

Third - GPSr. Yes, that is exactly what your GPSr will do for you, once you get it working right. I don't have a GC, so I really can't help with that part. Also, if the GC takes a bounce off a tree, rock, what ever, or gets dropped in a creek, it prolly won't affect it too badly. The Iphone would prolly not fare as well.

In the grand scheme, I'm still fairly new. Some of you who've been around longer, please correct or add anything you think is needed.

Later!

High Level Info: Using the eXpolrist GC

Once your GPS is turned on and has locked on to a GPS signal (you have signal bars rather than - - - -) you are ready to go.

1) Press the icon that is the Geocaching Logo. This will open up all the caches that you loaded into it listed from closest to furthest away, be default.

2) Highlight the closest cache and press the tiny joystick button down.

3) You should now see all the details of that near by cache. Now press the MENU button and chose GO.

At this point a map opens up with an arrow where you are. From the arrow to the geocache is a green line showing you which way to go, as the crow flies.

1) Walk. When you walk the GPS can tell which way you are going.

2) Now walk in a direction that follows the green line to the cache. If you move off course a the arrow will turn from yellow, orange or red for how off course you are.

3) If you follow the green line you will get to where the cache is. When close stop looking at the gps and look for the cache itself.

Once you found it.

1) Press MENU while in map mode still.

2) Scroll down to Found and select that.

3) Your GPS will ask you if you want to take notes. HINT: This is your "paperless" bit so chose YES

4) Use the joystick and type in your notes.

Back Home - uploading your notes.

0) Make sure you have the Magellan Communicator plug-in installed and that you meet the min. req. for said plug-in and are using a browser that supports the plug-in. (one time step)

1) Open your browser, got to geocaching.com, select your profile, on the right side bar press the "Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications." link

2) plug in your gps via usb, turn it on, select Connect to PC from the gps

3) press the Upload My Field Notes link

4) Navigate to your Magellan drive to the Geocaching folder and select newlogs.txt

5) upload

6) got into each uploaded cache log, verify what you typed for typos etc., submit your logs.

NOTE: There are SEVERAL ways to go about doing everything. The way I posted is only one way. You should not really need to ask people for high level direction. Instead, think of it like this. "I have a new toy. I'm going to play with my new toy. As I play with my new toy I'll also be learning all the way how to use it." Do not be afraid of your gps.

Once your GPS is turned on and has locked on to a GPS signal (you have signal bars rather than - - - -) you are ready to go.

1) Press the icon that is the Geocaching Logo. This will open up all the caches that you loaded into it listed from closest to furthest away, be default.

3) You should now see all the details of that near by cache. Now press the MENU button and chose GO.

At this point a map opens up with an arrow where you are. From the arrow to the geocache is a green line showing you which way to go, as the crow flies.

2) Now walk in a direction that follows the green line to the cache. If you move off course a the arrow will turn from yellow, orange or red for how off course you are.

3) If you follow the green line you will get to where the cache is. When close stop looking at the gps and look for the cache itself.

Once you found it.

3) Your GPS will ask you if you want to take notes. HINT: This is your "paperless" bit so chose YES

0) Make sure you have the Magellan Communicator plug-in installed and that you meet the min. req. for said plug-in and are using a browser that supports the plug-in. (one time step)

1) Open your browser, got to geocaching.com, select your profile, on the right side bar press the "Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications." link

4) Navigate to your Magellan drive to the Geocaching folder and select newlogs.txt

5) upload

6) got into each uploaded cache log, verify what you typed for typos etc., submit your logs.

NOTE: There are SEVERAL ways to go about doing everything. The way I posted is only one way. You should not really need to ask people for high level direction. Instead, think of it like this. "I have a new toy. I'm going to play with my new toy. As I play with my new toy I'll also be learning all the way how to use it." Do not be afraid of your gps.

This has been put so well, that I have printed out a copy for my own reference! As said, some things I do another way, but I shall try this now. One question - can I access my field notes on the GC itself?

This has been put so well, that I have printed out a copy for my own reference! As said, some things I do another way, but I shall try this now. One question - can I access my field notes on the GC itself?

Hmm, I never tried editing it on the gps itself. Next time I've entered notes I'll see if I can figure out a way to edit them on the device. If you are on a computer the 'newlogs.txt' file is a simple text file. You can open it, edit it, close it and then upload it -- OR when you've uploaded it and press the link to compose the log you can edit what was uploaded there too.

Is this GPS worth buying? I am looking for a paperless unit that doesn't cost much. Ive seen bad reviews and good reviews, just don't know. Also-will this work for intense caching? thx

How much can you afford to spend? I'm using the Garmin 62s which I think is really terrific and I'm sure it will easily handle any "intense" form of geocaching. Here in Canada, I've seen it for as low as $369.00. There have been one or two software issues but I think Garmin is slowly working things out. I don't plan on purchasing any other GPSr for quite some time. I still have and still use older Garmin models which work very well, less the paperless feature. And speaking about that, I like to print off a map of the general area I'll be in as I like to have a hard copy to refer to. But that's just me.

Is this GPS worth buying? I am looking for a paperless unit that doesn't cost much. Ive seen bad reviews and good reviews, just don't know. Also-will this work for intense caching? thx

At $159 CAD at Wal-Mart, I didn't think it was too much. In fact, it's as much as I wanted to spend. Keep your eyes open, and you may find it cheaper. It suits me just fine and worth it to me. I haven't tried one of the higher end units - maybe one day.

Popokiiti asked, "One question - can I access my field notes on the GC itself?"

Rav's Magical* Guide to Editing Field Notes On the eXplorist CG:

1) Select the Geocaching icon and select the cache you need to edit the field notes on.

2) Highlight the first bar with the Checkered Flag icon.

3) Press MENU

4) Scroll down to Edit My Last Log.

5) There you go! Edit the log. Add smilies. Fix typos. Whatever.

6) Press the Check mark to save your changes and get on with your life. :3 hehe

* Just because you can't see the magic doesn't mean it isn't there.

How much can you afford to spend? I'm using the Garmin 62s which I think is really terrific and I'm sure it will easily handle any "intense" form of geocaching. Here in Canada, I've seen it for as low as $369.00. There have been one or two software issues but I think Garmin is slowly working things out. I don't plan on purchasing any other GPSr for quite some time. I still have and still use older Garmin models which work very well, less the paperless feature. And speaking about that, I like to print off a map of the general area I'll be in as I like to have a hard copy to refer to. But that's just me.

Well, I'm turning off an on about the GC. Garmins Dakota 10 is more appealing. Only $125 for the Dakota o eBay!

I just started and I have an Explorist GC.

I'm the kind of person that just starts hitting buttons to see what happens, then read the instructions later. The instruction booklet was not that stellar, but if you go to the web site, they have a download manual that will walk you through other funtions.

Also, I had to play around a bit with pocket queries before I figured it out. And then I had to figure out to download it to my GC, you do need another independent program on your pc, I use GSAK so far.

I just started and I have an Explorist GC.

I'm the kind of person that just starts hitting buttons to see what happens, then read the instructions later. The instruction booklet was not that stellar, but if you go to the web site, they have a download manual that will walk you through other funtions.

Also, I had to play around a bit with pocket queries before I figured it out. And then I had to figure out to download it to my GC, you do need another independent program on your pc, I use GSAK so far.

No. You can drag and drop the .gpx file from the PQ into your Geocaching folder on the gps and the waypoints gpx file, if there is one, into the Waypoints folder. Or you can use GSAK or VantagePoint if you like.

I've been playing around for a while and didn't realize the line changes color the farther away you get. that was helpful, thanks!

Once you found it.

5) upload

that's a good deal on the Dakota. The thing about the GC that I wish was different was that you have to be moving for the signal to update. I've found that difficult with my urban caching and scrounging around.

Well, I'm turning off an on about the GC. Garmins Dakota 10 is more appealing. Only $125 for the Dakota o eBay!