Beginners tasks

Mdelinski

A shout out to all the veteran Geocahers...

Knowing what you know now...what is some advice for us new people that quickly became addicted?

I have signed up for the Illinois All County challenge and the Illinois DeLorne challenge.

But are there other types of additional fun tasks that you wish you had known about when you started, or something that you now that you didn't do at the start?

Thanks for reading

Matt

When I started all I thought about were numbers and found myself hunting caches just to increase my find count. I eventually learned that what was important was having fun and I wasn't having fun finding caches in mundane or disgusting places. Once I decided that I didn't have to find every cache I passed by my fun factor increased tremendously.

Cache a day challenges are much easier to do when you haven't found almost every cache within 20 miles of your home!

Keep in mind that this is a game that is supposed to be fun. A friend and I decided to try a challenge, but we found that we weren't having as much fun as usual, so we decided to skip it and go back to our regular caching habits.

Cache the way that makes you happy.

Edited by Capers4

My partner and I have a good time with challenges and caching in general.

For challenges, we just nibble away at them. Sure for county or DeLorme challenges it means a road trip and planning but we don't fixate on the challenge alone. We get many caches along the route and take time to sight see also.

I have also learned that for the cache-a-day challenge it isn't a good thing to get all the "easy" ones around town. Now it really takes some planning to get that needed cache while I'm out running errands.

Finally.... the ones you don't find can be just as fun as the ones you do find. DNF logs are a chance to really let your creative writing skills show. I can spin a good yarn about one I didn't find.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I know the 2 challenges I have already joined will be a long time coming, I'm in no rush to complete challenges or hit any magic number. The cache a day type of challenge will probably be out for me as well, so far, I am doing this with my daughter and we don't/won't have time to go out every night.

So, I am keeping it real and keeping it fun so far. I have lived in this area pretty much my whole life, and I am being shown parks and other areas I never knew existed...and I only have 15 finds so far.

The one thing my daughter really enjoys is the tradables. I told her that we need to create a display or some type of log of where we picked up something and what we left behind. So far we have accumulated a shell, marble, plastic geotoken, and an angel medalion. We have been leaving behind ancient Roman coins(culls-at least one side has details)

Thanks again and please keep the advice coming,

Matt