Caching safety in Florida

the more touristy bits of Florida are very safe - it seems that these poor lads wandered into a rather dangerous part of town :( generally these "no go" areas wouldn't be caching hotspots, I wouldn't have thought, but it's always sensible to keep your wits about you, and if you drive into an area that sets your internal alarm bells ringing, lock the doors, wind up your windows, and keep driving till you're out the other side!

the more touristy bits of Florida are very safe - it seems that these poor lads wandered into a rather dangerous part of town :( generally these "no go" areas wouldn't be caching hotspots, I wouldn't have thought, but it's always sensible to keep your wits about you, and if you drive into an area that sets your internal alarm bells ringing, lock the doors, wind up your windows, and keep driving till you're out the other side!

And they were there at 03:00am! I suspect most cachers wouldn't go venturing into unknown areas in the middle of the night.

As has been said, keep your eyes open and if the area you are in does not look safe then get out. Some of the areas we came across in Florida are very poor and it makes you sad to see how some live, especially when you drive half a mile up the road past the biggest houses you have ever seen.

Certainly on one trip we came across a pretty run down town whilst doing a few driveby's, slowing down to stop near some we could see muggles suddenly interested in watching us so we drove past, we might have been fine but no cache is worth the risk. This is exactly the same as in this country there are some rough areas, I have found caches in Moss Side and the like in Manchester, but each one I look around before deciding whether to go for the cache.

Just be aware and keep out of the rough parts of any town, generally we rarely encountered anyone when caching out of the urban areas, but did see some interesting wildlife, just keep away from the alligators, prickly plants, big insects and do not put your hand inside any dark damps holes :o