geocycle

I recently did a series of 11 caches, going on a bike ride along the way. I'm rather interested in doing some more countryside routes and caching along the way.

Around me though, caches are a bit more... not with this in mind without covering a sizable distance.

so here is my question, would anyone be interested in helping to create the gpx routes, research and document. grade the rides (easy to expert skills for example.) Has anyone done this and got any advice?

Dont know where you are based but i put out a series of 10 caches with a 11th bonus in a country park, i laid them out so it can be ridden from start to finish as i'm a big MTB nut and the route takes in some of the Big Welsh Weekend MTB enduro course

Think total distances have ranged from 6 -15 miles!! depending on nav skills

I'm also in middle of planning a further 2 MTB cache trails, aiming to make the last one i bigeee, to date i've planned a 25 mile route covering various terrain and taking in 2 trail centres.

These will all be accessable to cachers on foot as well

This sounds like a great idea. The only issue I'd have is the idea of grading routes in terms of skills required - with the best intentions in the world you'll end up with a collection of subjective opinions and a potential issue of liability if a route is listed as "easy" and a novice rider comes off their bike and calls a no-win-no-fee lawyer.

This sounds like a great idea. The only issue I'd have is the idea of grading routes in terms of skills required - with the best intentions in the world you'll end up with a collection of subjective opinions and a potential issue of liability if a route is listed as "easy" and a novice rider comes off their bike and calls a no-win-no-fee lawyer.

all one needs to do is add distance/elevation details

most peeps on a bike can work it out that way no?

all one needs to do is add distance/elevation details

most peeps on a bike can work it out that way no?

If it were as simple as gradients then yes. If you're talking about an off-road route that might have steps, obstructions etc then it gets more complex. You also end up with all sorts of subjective opinions as to what kind of bike is suitable for any given trail etc.

If a route is listed as being gentle and someone breaks their bike while riding it, claims it wasn't "gentle" at all and needed a mountain bike to negotiate it, and calls a lawyer, you potentially get to defend someone else's subjective opinion while paying for the privilege.

I think the idea of rating would be more general and descriptive e.g. easy family ride with a few uphills, more experienced rider/older family, advanced rider with obstacles. Much the same way geocaches may be marked for wheelchair and buggy access but often noted more accurately how accessible it is?

Im also liking the beginner thought. A series of caches every few hundred yards to a half mile, covering maybe 3 - 4 miles, easing people into their saddle.

I think the idea of rating would be more general and descriptive e.g. easy family ride with a few uphills, more experienced rider/older family, advanced rider with obstacles. Much the same way geocaches may be marked for wheelchair and buggy access but often noted more accurately how accessible it is?

Im also liking the beginner thought. A series of caches every few hundred yards to a half mile, covering maybe 3 - 4 miles, easing people into their saddle.

Grading a route in descriptive terms rather than using specific attributes sounds like a good plan. That way you can gather the opinions of a few people who have cycled the route and form your own conclusions. You also get a nice easy disclaimer that the opinions are those of the individuals who post them and not necessarily the opinions of the site.

Asking people who have cycled the route to rate it in terms of the terrain (road/gravel path/dirt path/no path), profile (flat to hilly) and any other things people might like to know before attempting it, could be great.

The circuit of Richmond Gated caches around Richmond Park, for example, is easy terrain-wise as it's gravel paths for almost all of it (gets a bit muddy in the winter and the rain), most of it doesn't involve huge hills but there's a big hill from the SE corner heading west, and it's worth being aware of pedestrians, kids, dogs, horses, deer etc sharing the path. It's a fun route to cycle.