Visit to Southwest

rovers3

We are leaving Toronto, Canada, next Wednesday 13 April for a road trip to the Southwest USA.

Planning to drive Utah 128 to Moab then on to Las Vegas visiting Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion along the way.

A few days in Las Vegas then through Arizona, Petrified Forrest back up through the four corners across southern Colorado to end up in Taos NM where we will be staying for 10 nights. I will have about a week free in Taos to hike and cache with my dog while my wife takes an art workshop.

We will then make our way back home stopping in Colorado and then on through Kansas, Missouri etc.

Any suggestions on must do caches and other stops along the way and around Taos (within a reasonable distance like 100mi) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nope. Nothing much of interest in the areas you describe....

:laughing: just kidding, of course. What a great trip!

Just about ANYTHING you do will be fun and interesting. It sounds like you are going for quality, not quantity, which IMHO will make the caches much more fun.

Around Las Vegas, the Red Rocks area has a lot of great caches, but so does everywhere else once you get out of town.

If it were me, I'd probably just have a laptop and some source of internet access with me and and just check to see what's nearby when I drive through an interesting looking area.

Come to Durango,CO. We've got a train!

And Mesa Verde, the Four Corners Monument and some other nice caches.

We'll be driving through the area on hwy 160.

Some stops and attractions are limited as we have a dog.

A friend visited Four Corners last summer and said that the monument was off limits during the week due to construction.

Is that still the case?

Thanks

Nope. Nothing much of interest in the areas you describe....

:laughing: just kidding, of course. What a great trip!

Just about ANYTHING you do will be fun and interesting. It sounds like you are going for quality, not quantity, which IMHO will make the caches much more fun.

Around Las Vegas, the Red Rocks area has a lot of great caches, but so does everywhere else once you get out of town.

If it were me, I'd probably just have a laptop and some source of internet access with me and and just check to see what's nearby when I drive through an interesting looking area.

Been to Red Rocks a number of times and intend to visit again this trip.

Did Calico Basin, Calico Cave and Avenger's Realm #7 last time plus a few others (Feb 06). There sure are a lot more caches in the area now

Some of my favorite caching experiences have been in Bryce and Zion - Avalanche on Wall Street offers a great hike into the Hoodoos at Bryce. In addition to the main valley at Zion, caching also brought us to other areas of the park, including Taylor Creek and Lava Point, which were fun.

We enjoyed the Babylon area, not too far from Hurricane as well.

If you can get to Toroweap and the One Giant Step virtual, you will find the classic, unforgetable view of the Canyon.

The Valley of Fire east of Vegas is worth stopping for, with earthcaches taking you on a nice tour.

There are a couple if caches on the Old Spanish Trail but GCA6F8 is my favorite.

A Special Memory is perhaps the classic Vegas Cache, bur the Old Pioneer Saloon cache in Goodspring is a personal favorite.