How do you edit the coordinates of a cache on the Garmin Oregon 450?

Hello all,

this question seems almost too easy so it is possible that it has already been answered but I wasn't able to find it on this or any other site.

How am I supposed to edit the coordinates of a cache stored on the GPS? Note: not a waypoint, but a cache downloaded from geocaching.com via the Send to GPS button or via a Pocket Query).

Typically I have this problem when I want to go and find a Unknown cache which I have solved: in order to have all the description, hints, logs etc. I download the Unknown cache as I would any other cache, but then I want to change its coordinates to the real correct coordinates found by solving the mystery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

/Andrea

Hello all,

this question seems almost too easy so it is possible that it has already been answered but I wasn't able to find it on this or any other site.

How am I supposed to edit the coordinates of a cache stored on the GPS? Note: not a waypoint, but a cache downloaded from geocaching.com via the Send to GPS button or via a Pocket Query).

Typically I have this problem when I want to go and find a Unknown cache which I have solved: in order to have all the description, hints, logs etc. I download the Unknown cache as I would any other cache, but then I want to change its coordinates to the real correct coordinates found by solving the mystery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

/Andrea

1. Select the Geocaches icon from the main screen and then select the geocache you wish to seek.

2. Press the "treasure box" icon on the geocaching screen (the one with the name of the cache, a map and the small compass)

3. Scroll down the list of actions to "Enter next stage"

4. Edit coordinates and click the checkmark.

1. Select the Geocaches icon from the main screen and then select the geocache you wish to seek.

2. Press the "treasure box" icon on the geocaching screen (the one with the name of the cache, a map and the small compass)

3. Scroll down the list of actions to "Enter next stage"

4. Edit coordinates and click the checkmark.

Thanks a lot! You saved my life! I was going to write a script to edit the GPX file before loading it on the GPS but this way it's easier ;)

Thanks a lot! You saved my life! I was going to write a script to edit the GPX file before loading it on the GPS but this way it's easier ;)

Actually, now that I have tried it, this doesn't solve my problem. I want to be able to load a pocket query containing let's say 10 mysteries that I solved, then edit each one of them and change the coordinates to the real ones BEFORE I set out to find the caches.

The "Enter Next Stage" method only works for a cache at a time, it basically creates a duplicate of the cache you're navigating to, the name is Next Stage and you can't edit it, and it only works on the active cache. So I would still need to bring a paper with the real coordinates and modify each cache in turn when I set to find it... so much for paperless geocaching... :( I was able to edit the cache coordinates on my eTrex Legend HCx: being unable to do so on the 3-times-more-expensive Oregon 450 is a big disappointment...

I guess i'll have to write that script after all...

Another approach would be to create a pocket query, load it into GSAK (or similar) and edit the coordinates in GSAK and then have GSAK send the caches to the Oregon.

Yup - given the way that all of the new Garmin 'paperless' models manage caches, that's what many of us have had to do. Another good use for GSAK. I keep my solved caches in a separate database that can't be overwritten by a new PQ, then load that separately to the Oregon along with the PQ each week - and the PQ is set not to include any mystery caches.

To the OP - you can't edit an existing cache on your unit. You can't delete one, either.

In GSAK, if you use "Corrected Coordinates" instead of editing the coordinates, you won't lose your new coordinates if your waypoint get updated with a new PQ.

Corrected Coordinates are under the Waypoint menu

+1

I hadn't noticed this before -- good idea.

Has anyone recommended GSAK? :D Yes another option would be to use GSAK and enter the final coordinates as child waypoints (e.g., a Final Location). These would then show up under Where To-->Find Another--->Extras--->Final Location.

There are even more possibilities (such as exporting POIs from GSAK that would contain the cache description, logs, etc.)

GSAK: priceless

Has anyone recommended GSAK? :D Yes another option would be to use GSAK and enter the final coordinates as child waypoints (e.g., a Final Location). These would then show up under Where To-->Find Another--->Extras--->Final Location.

There are even more possibilities (such as exporting POIs from GSAK that would contain the cache description, logs, etc.)

There is a big problem with that solution, the paperless geocaching does not work with a POI-for example, when you are navigating to a POI you cannot access the description, logs, and hint. If you use corrected cords, paperless works normally. I also add a user note indicating it is a final and I change the cache type to a traditional so I know I have the final for it.

There is a big problem with that solution, the paperless geocaching does not work with a POI-for example, when you are navigating to a POI you cannot access the description, logs, and hint. If you use corrected cords, paperless works normally. I also add a user note indicating it is a final and I change the cache type to a traditional so I know I have the final for it.

Agreed -- corrected coords are probably the cleanest solution.

Edited by Geo Peeps