CCW and caching

I'm not a gun owner, nor a gun opponent (in fact I'm a card carrying NRA member), but I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

I'm not too concerned about bears, they usually run away when approached. If it were charging grizzly, a handgun won't do much unless you get very lucky with your shot.

Now if I lived and cached in mountain lion country, I might consider changing my tune and become a gun owner/carrier. Even then a gun is of limited usefulness, as they usually silently stalk their prey and are likely to be on you before you ever have a chance to unholster your gun.

The bolded bit is not entirely true. They make snake shot, which is handgun ammo that is basically like shotgun ammo. That's also why I carry the Taurus Judge. It holds .410 shotgun shells. Accuracy in these cases doesn't have to be "dead on."

I've actually had occasion to have to shoot a rattle snake. Shortly after moving to Arizona, I went hiking/caching in the desert. Where I was, there were a few different species of rattlers. At the time, I hadn't learned how to tell them apart. (My own dumb fault.) As I was heading back to my truck, thankfully I was less than a quarter of a mile away, I heard the sound you never want to hear and then felt the strike. I shot the snake and took it to the hospital with me, so they could identify it. I now know how to I.D. the local snakes.

Despite my pain, I still had a pretty good chuckle when I brought in a 4 foot western diamondback to the emergency room and said, "this bit me."

I, too, am in Arizona and I am terrified of rattlesnakes. I only go caching in the desert when I am with my husband and he carries the gun in the family. I am also terrified of guns....I wouldn't even let my kids have squirt guns when they were little....they had squirt fish...perhaps I was a little overboard with all of that...back to caching....I hate guns but make my husband bring his when we are way out in the desert...so...I suppose I hate rattlesnakes and coyotes more than guns...back to caching....I love finding desert caches so I guess me and the gun will need to learn to get along.

I open carry my Taurus Judge. 2 rounds of .45 for self defense, 2 rounds of .410 shotgun for rattlers, and the hammer on an empty chamber.

Holy crap! That's one serious self-defense piece. It's not even legal to own one here in California. My son carries at all times but doesn't geocache. He's a CHP officer.

I don't carry when caching but then again I don't own a hand gun. I could likely get a permit. I've been told that, in the county where I live, it is reasonably easy to get a carry permit. I just don't see a reason for it where I live. I have nothing against it though as a general bias.

...and that is why I'm thinking of buying one of these.

Maxpedition

I opted for the Fatboy Versipak, and I love it. My only regret was buying the digital camo version. Since the rest of me is usually not clad in camo, carrying a bag that is really makes me feel dorky and conspicuous. I spent an extra $50 for the CCW Holster and JANUS Extension Pouch, neither of which I use. When I was on the range, I found I couldn't get a hit on a steel target, from the holster, in under a second, because the holster, which is held in by Velcro, holds the firearm up a little to high in the pocket, causing resistance where the back of the slide meets the zipper. Once I removed the holster, and drew straight from the pocket, I was back in the game. The extension pouch looked really kewl, but because of the strap design, it can only be affixed one way, which puts it right in the center of my chest. I tried removing the pouch from the included strap, and affixing it on the back side of the shoulder strap, but then I couldn't wear the pack while seated. The Fatboy, (which is smaller than the Jumbo you linked to), has plenty of room for everything I carry. I looked at a Jumbo at a sporting goods store I frequent, and it was just too big for my needs. Oh, almost forgot. I also ended up removing the shoulder strap pad. It came down to deciding if the small amount of padding provided was worth the extra thickness, which caused the pad to rub against my neck. I eventually decided it was not.

I open carry my Taurus Judge. 2 rounds of .45 for self defense, 2 rounds of .410 shotgun for rattlers, and the hammer on an empty chamber.

Holy crap! That's one serious self-defense piece.

Actually not really. It's a poor choice for self defense. 2 rounds of .45 when you could easily carry much more in a normal gun. 2 rounds of.410 which would work poorly for self defense at any range greater than 10 feet.

I carry a gun on my rural caching; either a Kimber Goldmatch or my XD, both in .45. Where I cache is populated by wolves, coyotes, and black bears. The risk is fairly low but there is one particularly aggressive black bear in an area I frequent. The wolves are protected here(North Central WI) and tend to show no fear of man. They have also been spotted stalking people on several occasions. Sometimes I take my 5 year olds caching but thus far only in an urban setting... in the summer we'll hit the rural trails. It would be irresponsible of me to introduce my children to an area populated by predators, who could easily maim or kill them, without being equipped to defend them.

Happy caching.

Holy crap! That's one serious self-defense piece.

Actually not really. It's a poor choice for self defense. 2 rounds of .45 when you could easily carry much more in a normal gun. 2 rounds of.410 which would work poorly for self defense at any range greater than 10 feet.

I carry a gun on my rural caching; either a Kimber Goldmatch or my XD, both in .45. Where I cache is populated by wolves, coyotes, and black bears. The risk is fairly low but there is one particularly aggressive black bear in an area I frequent. The wolves are protected here(North Central WI) and tend to show no fear of man. They have also been spotted stalking people on several occasions. Sometimes I take my 5 year olds caching but thus far only in an urban setting... in the summer we'll hit the rural trails. It would be irresponsible of me to introduce my children to an area populated by predators, who could easily maim or kill them, without being equipped to defend them.

Happy caching.

I think it really depends on where you're caching. Where I'm at, it's mostly for snakes, and if I have to use it for snakes, then I would be within 10 feet. As far as self defense against two legged creatures, then if two rounds is not enough I'm screwed no matter how many rounds I have.

In bear country, I would carry a pistol that holds more rounds. I'm going to Alaska this summer, and I'll be in grizzly territory. I plan on bringing my S&W 500.

I always carry. A fannypack with swag toys, a pen, a mirror, a little flashlight, sometimes my little book of that days' cashe data.

I didn't realize how many MACHO men geocached. Didn't realize what a dangerous game we play. Alas . . . .

Or maybe it just makes sense to carry a gun when you are in a wilderness area populated by wolves and bears. Or maybe, the cachers who have been mugged feel safer with one. I didn't realize how many people didn't realize the potential for problems out there, alas.

Edited by EagleRiver_Baileys

...I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

I'm not too concerned about bears, they usually run away when approached. If it were charging grizzly, a handgun won't do much unless you get very lucky with your shot.

Now if I lived and cached in mountain lion country, I might consider changing my tune and become a gun owner/carrier. Even then a gun is of limited usefulness, as they usually silently stalk their prey and are likely to be on you before you ever have a chance to unholster your gun.

+1

And wolves are a minuscule danger to humans. Very rarely, a coyote might attack a small child but this is extremely unlikely if an adult is nearby.

Your odds of being killed by a deer (car accidents) or a bee (allergic reactions) are thousands of times greater than being killed by a wolf or coyote.

I have probably seen 50 coyotes in my time. Not one of them did anything but try to get as far away from me as they could. I have also ran into plenty of rattlesnakes that had the same idea.

...I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

+1

And wolves are a minuscule danger to humans. Very rarely, a coyote might attack a small child but this is extremely unlikely if an adult is nearby.

Your odds of being killed by a deer (car accidents) or a bee (allergic reactions) are thousands of times greater than being killed by a wolf or coyote.

I have probably seen 50 coyotes in my time. Not one of them did anything but try to get as far away from me as they could. I have also ran into plenty of rattlesnakes that had the same idea.

I've never heard of a coyote attacking a person before... I suppose it's happened. Wolves and bears are different stories...but I've already posted on that.

There's about 1.4 million house fires each year in the US. A little over 4000 people die each year to house fires. Most people agree that having a loaded fire extinguisher is a good idea.

There's about the same amount(1.3 million) of violent crimes in the US each year. Over 14,000 people are murdered each year... more than 3 times than die by house fire. Geo cachers are just as vulnerable to this as anyone else.

Happy caching!

As many folks in here know, I have a permit to carry but it used to stay in the car (I had/have the permit for a very specific reason/situation) but having become a Colorado resident I need to go and get my new permit. Although I'm thinking that I won't do it, the problem is far away from me now.

Basically what I'm saying is you never know why someone might carry (or who- being a fairly small female who looks about 18 I've had some interesting situations come up where carrying would have been handy).

While we consider it a right in the US to carry it is also very important that we educate along with that. Regardless of the weapon or its location. Everyone should know how to safely handle a firearm- even if is just the basics of assume it is always loaded and never point it at something you aren't prepared to destroy.

I've never heard of a coyote attacking a person before... I suppose it's happened. Wolves and bears are different stories...but I've already posted on that.

I'd be curious to know how many people you'd estimate have been killed by wolves in the wild during the past 100 years.

So would I(curious about how many). Recently a pack of wolves within 25 miles of my house had become quite aggressive to humans, routinely stalking them. They also killed several dogs. Instead of waiting for an attack to occur, the DNR got rid of the wolves. I don't know if this means wolves were getting ready to attack humans.. frankly, it seems unlikely. You never know.

Certainly the odds for getting attacked by wild animals or mugged in the city are very small, but why not be prepared? I wonder if Catydid belittles people who buy fire extinguishers hehehe.

There are several species of predators in my area. There's even this nasty creature called a fisher(a big weasel). I know a person who had their dog killed, and in turn was attacked by the nasty bugger. Weird. I have four 5 year olds and one dog. I think it's prudent for me to be equipped to defend them. I'm not being macho, I've never shown my gun to anyone when I've carried and it's not something I mention. I'm not saying everyone should carry a gun, I respect the right to go unarmed and I don't judge those who choose to do so. I just don't get why anti's are so critical of those who choose to be able to defend themselves. Us Geocachers frequently go to areas we are unfamiliar with, I cannot see how it is unwise to be prepared to defend oneself. 1.3 million violent crimes a year... and those are the reported ones.

Here's something interesting about where I live: "Wolf attacks on domestic livestock and pets hit record levels in Minnesota and Wisconsin in 2010,..." no attacks on people recorded though.

Happy caching. :)

I'd be curious to know how many people you'd estimate have been killed by wolves in the wild during the past 100 years.

So would I(curious about how many). Recently a pack of wolves within 25 miles of my house had become quite aggressive to humans, routinely stalking them. They also killed several dogs. Instead of waiting for an attack to occur, the DNR got rid of the wolves. I don't know if this means wolves were getting ready to attack humans.. frankly, it seems unlikely. You never know.

Certainly the odds for getting attacked by wild animals or mugged in the city are very small, but why not be prepared? I wonder if Catydid belittles people who buy fire extinguishers hehehe.

There are several species of predators in my area. There's even this nasty creature called a fisher(a big weasel). I know a person who had their dog killed, and in turn was attacked by the nasty bugger. Weird. I have four 5 year olds and one dog. I think it's prudent for me to be equipped to defend them. I'm not being macho, I've never shown my gun to anyone when I've carried and it's not something I mention. I'm not saying everyone should carry a gun, I respect the right to go unarmed and I don't judge those who choose to do so. I just don't get why anti's are so critical of those who choose to be able to defend themselves. Us Geocachers frequently go to areas we are unfamiliar with, I cannot see how it is unwise to be prepared to defend oneself. 1.3 million violent crimes a year... and those are the reported ones.

Here's something interesting about where I live: "Wolf attacks on domestic livestock and pets hit record levels in Minnesota and Wisconsin in 2010,..." no attacks on people recorded though.

Wolf attacks are VERY rare but have happened. Discovery Channel has had several programs about documented wolf attacks in North America. You really hit the nail on the head when you said "Us geocachers frequently go to areas we are unfamiliar with". That is the aspect of geocaching that is the most foreign to me. My wife loves that I have started geocaching with our little girl because the whole family is getting out more and exploring our community and the surrounding states.

Wolf attacks are VERY rare but have happened. Discovery Channel has had several programs about documented wolf attacks in North America. You really hit the nail on the head when you said "Us geocachers frequently go to areas we are unfamiliar with". That is the aspect of geocaching that is the most foreign to me. My wife loves that I have started geocaching with our little girl because the whole family is getting out more and exploring our community and the surrounding states.

I count 7 people killed by wolves in North America in the last 100 years. Of them, 3 were very young children killed by wolves that being kept as "pets".

Wiki

There is a substantial number that have been killed in Asia, the Middle East, India and the Ukraine.

Edited by Don_J

I count 7 people killed by wolves in North America in the last 100 years. Of them, 3 were very young children killed by wolves that being kept as "pets".

Wiki

There is a substantial number that have been killed in Asia, the Middle East, India and the Ukraine.

I think a more pertinent question to ask is how many people have been attacked by wild animals?

Compare that to the 50 Americans killed each YEAR by allergic reactions to bees or the 130 killed annually in vehicular accidents with deer. Or the 70,000 killed by diabetes. Or the 600,000 killed by heart disease.

If you want to worry about wolf attacks on the trail, that's okay. But if your goal is to live a long and healthy life, then you might want to focus more on the drive to the trailhead or the snack you put in your pack.

Exercise is good, but don't forget about getting regular medical exams, proper diet, enjoying more sex, quitting smoking, and buying a pet (even though pet dogs kill an average of 30 Americans each year).

The Mayo Clinic also reports that optimists are more likely to live longer than pessimists. So, don't worry. Be happy!

I think a more pertinent question to ask is how many people have been attacked by wild animals?

Would that include mosquito bites (and their 3 million deaths per year)?

I believe you missed my point. I was merely suggesting that there is a greater number of people that are attacked by wild animals than there are killed by a few certain species. And that is why I (along with quite a few others) carry while caching/hiking.

I am happy when I am geocaching in the desert and my husband is next to me with a rattlesnake buckshot bullet in his gun....

If it makes you feel better, then do it. You never know if you might be among the 6 Americans killed in an average year by rattlesnakes. (Most of the victims are males between 17 and 27. Alcohol usually is involved.)

I've hiked for 35 years in areas that are home to rattlesnakes, grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, cougars, and fishers. I've encountered all except cougars. Never once felt threatened. Never once considered bringing a gun along.

My wife and I had a great experience while backpacking in Denali National Park (Alaska). We were eating breakfast, miles from anyone, when a lone wolf slowly walked towards our camp. Ms. CR reached for her camera while I stowed our food in the bear-proof canister we'd brought. The wolf came within 20 yards of us. It seemed curious but cautious. Staying 20 yards away, it made a half circle around our camp and continued on its way.

We could enjoy this special moment because both of us respect wolves but neither of us fear them.

I believe you missed my point. I was merely suggesting that there is a greater number of people that are attacked by wild animals than there are killed by a few certain species. And that is why I (along with quite a few others) carry while caching/hiking.

And you might have missed my point.

If you want to legally carry a gun to protect yourself against wild animals, then do so. But if one wants to live a long and healthy life, then there are many, many more effective things one might do. Eat better, get more exercise, get regular health check-ups, don't smoke, own a pet, drive more carefully in a safer vehicle, sleep the right number of hours, laugh more, have a healthy sex life, take precautions against vector-borne diseases, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and don't stress out over the little things.

If you want to legally carry a gun to protect yourself against wild animals, then do so. But if one wants to live a long and healthy life, then there are many, many more effective things one might do. Eat better, get more exercise, get regular health check-ups, don't smoke, own a pet, drive more carefully in a safer vehicle, sleep the right number of hours, laugh more, have a healthy sex life, take precautions against vector-borne diseases, etc., etc., etc.

I miss your point also, it is off topic.

I have been actively stalked by a grizzly bear, I will never forget how that felt. I have stumbled onto rattesnakes, 3 rabid skunks, and one very pissed off raccoon that was injured. I carry, and have pulled my gun twice, once on a bull mastiff that was on a full run towards my son when he was 4, got away from the owner, but the dog stopped before he got shot, turned out to be a nice dog, and once on a guy that was entering the front door of my ex's mother in TX. He was gonna "teach that bitch" as he stated when he opened the screen door and met a gun. He had been shooting fireworks at our car and my wife, sister, son, and sister in law and was asked to stop. He jumped the fence and chased them into the house. He was moving quick enough that the front sight on my handgun cut his forehead when he met it, stopped quickly and turned and ran off.

The best use for a weapons permit I have found is not involved in carrying a gun at all. When I was at a Home Depot, the clerk was being extremely rude. He must have been having a bad day. He allmost yelled that he had to see some ID, so I gave him my permit, he ended up being so polite and courtious when he looked at it. I wasn't carrying, but he sure thought so. Was hilarious to see the deer in the headlights look on his face and the total change in attitude.

The sound of the rattle on a rattlesnake is NOT a little thing to me...

My family thinks it is so funny that I am defending cachers carrying guns when caching out in the unknown wild...they know I HATE guns...I have never shot a gun and the sight of them freaks me out...but, rattlesnakes scare me more...no matter what argument you give me, you won't make me feel bad, or guilty or change my mind...I am walking in areas that are rocky and brush filled. Perfect places for a snake to hide....I can't see it coming...I have no advance notice...I am as cautious as I can be...the only thing I could change is to stay home...I don't cache in the desert on any day it is over about 85 degrees...

And by the way, we camp quite a lot...we camped last summer in the Grand Tetons for over a week...we didn't have a gun in our camp. We follow all bear friendly guidelines....we were around buffalo, moose, deer, etc...never once thought about shooting them for any reason...

I am walking in areas that are rocky and brush filled. Perfect places for a snake to hide....I can't see it coming...I have no advance notice...I am as cautious as I can be...

I've encountered about a dozen rattlesnakes...in deserts, canyons, prairies, and elsewhere. Half the time, I saw them (and avoided them) from far enough away that they didn't even rattle. When they did rattle, I took that advance notice as a warning, calmly spotted the snake, and slowly backed away (if they didn't do so first). No problem.

I've never been bitten by a rattlesnake. If I had been, then my odds of dying from that bite are smaller than 1 in 1,000. Even less if I haven't been drinking and don't panic.

As I noted previously, if it makes you feel better hiking in the desert with your husband carrying a gun, then do it. If you want to have a long and healthy life, then there are more effective ways to accomplish this.

One can do all those things and still be equipped to defend oneself. So you really don't have a point, other than you chose to put yourself in areas with alpha predators you cannot protect yourself from. Did you ever go camping with Timothy Treadwell?

One can do all those things and still be equipped to defend oneself.

Which is what I said when I stated, "If you want to legally carry a gun to protect yourself against wild animals, then do so."

So you really don't have a point, other than you chose to put yourself in areas with alpha predators you cannot protect yourself from.

My point is that if you're carrying a gun to protect yourself against wild animals because you want to live a long and healthy life, then it might be wise to also consider the many, many more effective ways of accomplishing this goal.

I can and have protected myself against wild animals. I just don't need a gun to do it. Learning about the animals and their behaviors is a good place to start.

...they know I HATE guns...I have never shot a gun and the sight of them freaks me out...but, rattlesnakes scare me more...

As a person with a couple quirky phobias, I can sorta understand. Still, I feel obligated to point out that the two things you've listed as being at the top of your fear matrix are about as dangerous as a slice of pizza. Actually, they are both probably less dangerous than a slice of pizza, as neither handguns nor rattlesnakes can cause obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. A handgun is an inert object. In and of itself, it can do no harm. The only time a handgun can cause harm is if it is utilized improperly, in anger, etc. Fearing them makes as much sense as fearing baseball bats. A rattlesnake is a critter who, in almost every instance, wants to be as far away from you as possible. They dread being stepped on by big, clumsy critters so much that they've developed a warning system. "Rattle Rattle... I'm Here! Go Away!" Given the chance, a rattlesnake will make every effort to avoid you. If not given the chance, they will announce their presence.

Educate yourself about those things you fear, and you may learn not to fear them.B)

I am happy when I am geocaching in the desert and my husband is next to me with a rattlesnake buckshot bullet in his gun....

If it makes you feel better, then do it. You never know if you might be among the 6 Americans killed in an average year by rattlesnakes. (Most of the victims are males between 17 and 27. Alcohol usually is involved.)

I've hiked for 35 years in areas that are home to rattlesnakes, grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, cougars, and fishers. I've encountered all except cougars. Never once felt threatened. Never once considered bringing a gun along.

My wife and I had a great experience while backpacking in Denali National Park (Alaska). We were eating breakfast, miles from anyone, when a lone wolf slowly walked towards our camp. Ms. CR reached for her camera while I stowed our food in the bear-proof canister we'd brought. The wolf came within 20 yards of us. It seemed curious but cautious. Staying 20 yards away, it made a half circle around our camp and continued on its way.

We could enjoy this special moment because both of us respect wolves but neither of us fear them.

How do you equate danger with your attitude of fearlessness? Predators don't sense whether you're afraid of them and decide to attack, or recognize your fearless attitude and move away out of respect. Being unprepared doesn't make you a better observer of nature -- it just makes you unprepared.

I'm glad you've had nothing but good experiences in the out-of-doors. Fortunately I have too, but I still believe in being prepared. While I also practice a very healthy lifestyle, that really has nothing to do with carrying a gun, or recognizing the threat that wolves, bears, lions, coyotes, or human predators pose. Wanting to safeguard myself from those dangers has no bearing on other dangers in my life, so for those that keep bringing up the danger from hitting a deer or getting malaria, yup -- those are concerns. They have no mitigating effect on the danger of a grizzly attack. Timothy Treadwell didn't fear the grizzlies, and you can ask him how that turned out. Well, you can ask...

I've seen a lot of rattlers while out hiking/mountain biking, and they are definitely a danger. Usually I see them ahead of time (you definitely need to be aware of where you're walking), but there have been a couple of times when I've almost stepped on one that was blending into it's surroundings very well, and right where I was walking. Fortunately I've never been struck at, but I'm still aware of the deadly potential risk they pose -- especially now that I have small children with me. The only rattlers I've killed were ones in my yard, or close to it. I respect their place in the natural order, but I won't have them near my home. In the wild -- live and let live. If I saw your wolf in Denali, I'd be tickled to just watch him go about his business. I'd have my gun ready, should he decide to take the less traveled route and attack me, but unless he (or a cougar, bear, etc) attacked, I have NO interest in shooting one of them.

Just because some of us feel it's a good idea to be prepared for danger, certainly doesn't mean we go looking for trouble, or create it where there is no need. This is responsible gun ownership -- have it ready to use should the need arise, but know what is a legitimate need and not just jerk it out and start blazing away at every shadow or bump in the night.

Which is what I said when I stated, "If you want to legally carry a gun to protect yourself against wild animals, then do so."

So you really don't have a point, other than you chose to put yourself in areas with alpha predators you cannot protect yourself from.

My point is that if you're carrying a gun to protect yourself against wild animals because you want to live a long and healthy life, then it might be wise to also consider the many, many more effective ways of accomplishing this goal.

I can and have protected myself against wild animals. I just don't need a gun to do it. Learning about the animals and their behaviors is a good place to start.

You continue this strawman argument. Your lifestyle choices have nothing to do with whether you chose to carry or not. I can do all the things you listed AND be prepared to defend myself against a lethal attack. Your argument makes no sense. Timothy Treadwell knew more perhaps than anyone in the world about Brown Bears. He was just like you, he didn't need a gun.

How do you equate danger with your attitude of fearlessness? Predators don't sense whether you're afraid of them and decide to attack, or recognize your fearless attitude and move away out of respect. Being unprepared doesn't make you a better observer of nature -- it just makes you unprepared.

I'm not fearless. I just don't fear lone wolves that appear healthy and well fed and show no signs of planning to attack, especially when I'm with another adult. There's always a chance that an improperly set window will get blown off a high-rise building and come crashing down upon whomever is walking beneath it, but I don't walk in fear of that happening either.

I'm glad you've had nothing but good experiences in the out-of-doors. Fortunately I have too, but I still believe in being prepared.

I believe in being prepared, too. As noted, we had a bear-proof food canister with us. When I'm backpacking, weight is an issue. Carrying extra first-aid and emergency supplies is much more likely to save my life (or minimize injuries), so I prefer to carry those rather than a gun. If I was significantly concerned about wildlife attacks, I'd probably opt for pepper spray rather than a gun.

While I also practice a very healthy lifestyle, that really has nothing to do with carrying a gun, or recognizing the threat that wolves, bears, lions, coyotes, or human predators pose. Wanting to safeguard myself from those dangers has no bearing on other dangers in my life, so for those that keep bringing up the danger from hitting a deer or getting malaria, yup -- those are concerns. They have no mitigating effect on the danger of a grizzly attack.

For me, it's a question of the most effective use of resources. I'd spend money on additional safety options for my vehicle before spending it on a gun. But that's me. You might have different priorities.

If you're ever near Calgary, drop me a note. I'd be happy to show you some beautiful hikes in Banff and Jasper national parks. Just keep any firearms in your vehicle; they aren't allowed on the trails.

Edited by CanadianRockies

You continue this strawman argument. Your lifestyle choices have nothing to do with whether you chose to carry or not. I can do all the things you listed AND be prepared to defend myself against a lethal attack. Your argument makes no sense.

Timothy Treadwell knew more perhaps than anyone in the world about Brown Bears. He was just like you, he didn't need a gun.

Again, I'm not suggesting you cannot legally carry a gun to defend yourself against a lethal attack if that's what you want to do. Indeed, I've repeated said, "If you want to legally carry a gun to protect yourself against wild animals, then do so."

Nor have I ever claimed that certain wildlife pose absolutely no danger. It's possible Treadwell was overconfident about how well he knew grizzlies. That can lead to careless behavior. Most people who understand grizzlies, for example, don't store coolers full of food in their tents like Treadwell did. Even if one is careful, attacks do occur. Just not very frequently.

Even if one is careful with guns, accidents do happen. Does that mean one shouldn't carry guns?

I'm not fearless. I just don't fear lone wolves that appear healthy and well fed and show no signs of planning to attack, especially when I'm with another adult. There's always a chance that an improperly set window will get blown off a high-rise building and come crashing down upon whomever is walking beneath it, but I don't walk in fear of that happening either.

It's good that you were able to enjoy a positive encounter with the wolf -- it's the kind of thing that makes going outdoors so rewarding. As I said, I often have small children with me, which are a particular magnet to predators, and while the odds of something bad happening aren't very high, I still would want to be prepared. If I knew there was a problem with windows blowing off of high-rises in a particular area, I'd keep an eye pointed upward -- you betcha! Well, since I'm not a chameleon, I'd alternate looking up and ahead, but you get the idea.

I'm glad you've had nothing but good experiences in the out-of-doors. Fortunately I have too, but I still believe in being prepared.

I believe in being prepared, too. As noted, we had a bear-proof food canister with us. When I'm backpacking, weight is an issue. Carrying extra first-aid and emergency supplies is much more likely to save my life (or minimize injuries), so I prefer to carry those rather than a gun. If I was significantly concerned about wildlife attacks, I'd probably opt for pepper spray rather than a gun.

I carry first aid and emergency supplies as needed, since that's part of being prepared. If I had any inkling that there were predators around where I was hiking, I'd definitely carry the pepper spray. In a grizzly attack, that would definitely be my first preference, anyway.

While I also practice a very healthy lifestyle, that really has nothing to do with carrying a gun, or recognizing the threat that wolves, bears, lions, coyotes, or human predators pose. Wanting to safeguard myself from those dangers has no bearing on other dangers in my life, so for those that keep bringing up the danger from hitting a deer or getting malaria, yup -- those are concerns. They have no mitigating effect on the danger of a grizzly attack.

For me, it's a question of the most effective use of resources. I'd spend money on additional safety options for my vehicle before spending it on a gun. But that's me. You might have different priorities.

If you're ever near Calgary, drop me a note. I'd be happy to show you some beautiful hikes in Banff and Jasper national parks. Just keep any firearms in your vehicle; they aren't allowed on the trails.

My vehicles are all up to snuff, but if they needed help I'd certainly get them fixed, in addition to carrying a firearm.

I appreciate the invite to visit your area. I'd love to get up to that area someday, since I've heard for years how beautiful it is. I've also read about attacks by wild animals in that area, so the banning of firearms would appear to be a shortsighted bit of legislation.

I must go off on a tangent here briefly, which is not intended to derail this thread (which has remained delightfully civil, I must say!). I understand that Canada has rather different views on gun ownership than the US does, so I expect that at least some of your viewpoint is culturally motivated. From reading a lot of posts by brethren from north of the border, it seems to be hard for Canadians to accept that there are legitimate needs for firearms in a personal defense setting. I find this baffling, as you have many of the same dangers and problems that we do, but aren't allowed the resources to deal with them as effectively. Used properly, a gun is a great equalizer between the weak and the aggressor. They certainly can be (and are) used improperly, but laws don't stop people from doing that, sadly.

Ok, back to the topic, and to reply (belatedly) to the OP: I carry a gun fairly often while caching, and always while in the woods. I don't feel fearful to go where I do, but I do recognize that there are lots of bad things that can happen, and a gun is a useful tool that gets carried along with a bunch of others. In the summer time, I have a very lightweight cycling vest that I wear to cover my gun. If it's too hot for that, I'll put it in my pack, but that of course makes it much less useful should I need it suddenly. Pepper spray is my first option anyway, and hopefully that will be the end of any attack.

Timothy Treadwell knew more perhaps than anyone in the world about Brown Bears. He was just like you, he didn't need a gun.

TOUCHE' !!!

The routine carry piece is a Sig P238 residing in a front pocket holster...goes everywhere I go where its permitted, including urban caching. To the OPs original question, with that holster it looks like a PDA or smartphone in my pocket, so no worries about "printing", even if I'm standing on my head. When out in the woods or somesuch, usually switch to either a Taurus .357 snubbie or a Springer Micro-Compact .45. The Taurus is open-carried (OWB leather with a thumbstrap), but the Springer is carried IWB in a K&D leather holster - it fits so well, even on my ungainly frame, that no one's ever comented on it printing. These later two are also carried with 2 rounds of snakeshot (under the hammer and in the next tube for the Taurus, or in the chamber and first in the mag for the 1911) and the remaining capacity Winchester Ranger SXT loads.

As far as encountered threats - I was approached by two "pack" dogs our on Holston Mountain a couple of years back. These dogs came up on me just after I got out of the car to hunt a cache, and only backed away when I re-entered the car and began moving towards them. The whole time, they were in "unfriendly" mode... And, to echo comments of others, the biggest threat is the two-legged predator. Local authorities have found a good number of meth labs and disposal areas in these hills, and like their moonshiner ancestors, they dont tend to take kindly to folks walking up on them...and, they dont advertise their locations.

I understand that Canada has rather different views on gun ownership than the US does, so I expect that at least some of your viewpoint is culturally motivated.

Actually, I'm a dual citizen and have lived more years in the United States than in Canada. I was born in South Dakota and spent my formative years growing up there. Most of my relatives own guns. I've never owned a gun, but it's not culturally motivated. You're free to disagree, though. That's what's great about America! And Canada!

The routine carry piece is a Sig P238 residing in a front pocket holster...goes everywhere I go where its permitted, including urban caching. To the OPs original question, with that holster it looks like a PDA or smartphone in my pocket, so no worries about "printing", even if I'm standing on my head. When out in the woods or somesuch, usually switch to either a Taurus .357 snubbie or a Springer Micro-Compact .45. The Taurus is open-carried (OWB leather with a thumbstrap), but the Springer is carried IWB in a K&D leather holster - it fits so well, even on my ungainly frame, that no one's ever comented on it printing. These later two are also carried with 2 rounds of snakeshot (under the hammer and in the next tube for the Taurus, or in the chamber and first in the mag for the 1911) and the remaining capacity Winchester Ranger SXT loads.

As far as encountered threats - I was approached by two "pack" dogs our on Holston Mountain a couple of years back. These dogs came up on me just after I got out of the car to hunt a cache, and only backed away when I re-entered the car and began moving towards them. The whole time, they were in "unfriendly" mode... And, to echo comments of others, the biggest threat is the two-legged predator. Local authorities have found a good number of meth labs and disposal areas in these hills, and like their moonshiner ancestors, they dont tend to take kindly to folks walking up on them...and, they dont advertise their locations.

This.

Doesn't matter if you're in an urban or rural environment. I grew up in an area with a lot of meth labs and pot farms. Several of the uh "farmers" had a habit of storing weapons out in the fields near their crops and mobile labs. Believe me, stumbling upon a burnout with a gun is more frightening than any wild animal.

For those who wonder why guns would be discussed here...

There is a unique challenge to carrying a concealed weapon while caching.Unlike most daily activities, geocaching involves reaching, bending over, and even getting on the ground to get in or under things and in a way that isn't common in normal day-to-day activities. During geocaching the carrier needs to keep the weapon concealed and keep it secure. If you have the wrong holster it can, at the least, make for a very uncomfortable day because pistols are heavy and bulky, but it can be a serious legal issue in some areas if your weapon is no longer concealed. For those who choose to carry, it's a very real issue and not one easily explained on a CCW website with people who don't undertand geocaching and what it entails.

As for why geocachers carry concealed weapons, it's more of an insurance policy akin to carrying fire insurance. You're unlikely to ever need it, but you're thankful if you had it when it was needed. Because geocaching can take you into less safe areas, whether it be the great outdoors or an alleyway, those who choose to carry concealed make a point of doing so.

Great post! That summary ties the discussion in nicely with geocaching.

+1

Added to that, here in Canada, violent crime rates are the lowest they have been in decades. I never feel threatend. That said, when caching at night, I do make sure to be aware of my surroundings.

I did consider bringing my 12 guage when searching for a cache in bear country (Whaleback Ridge Brass Cap). The only log for it mentioned running into a bear 2 or 3 times. In the end, I desided not to. In truth, the risk is quite small, especialy when hiking with a partner I can outrun.

Edited by Andronicus
... If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.
If a person cannot hit a snake from a few yards away, then he needs to stop geocaching and use his free time on the range.
Sure, but your geobuddy might feel better about being dragged off by the kitty if you had brought your weapon along.

Of course, it's not just wild animals that are the problem. As mentioned by others, a person is most likely to need his weapon in confrontations with errant humans. Also, so-called domesticated animals have been known to cause harm. Not too many years ago, I came under attack from a large and very aggressive dog. I was caching out-of-state, so did not have my weapon. Had I had it, that beast would be dead.

To the thread's topic, I carry a Browning BDA380. Since it's mag is double stacked. It does have a tendency to print more than some others.

I now see how gun-related threads can devolve. For many, the thought of having a gun for protection is a bizarre notion while others consider it bizarre not to carry a gun. It reminds me of one of my all-time favorite essays, which addresses this divergence of opinion. Fact is, neither side will convince the other. I am glad to see, that at least for the moment, the discussion on this thread has been respectful.

There has been some discussion about 'optimism' and 'pessimism' here. I suppose its because there is a belief that those who carry protection must be 'pessimistic'. I've never seen a study that addressed that particular question. I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with one either. Which just leaves me with my personal experiences to draw on...I don't know if there is a correlation either way based on those I've met.

I did once see a study on altruism (I can't find the link, sorry) and they asked a large number of people if they would help somebody who was stranded at the side of the road. The respondents were also asked a wide variety of questions on their lifestyles. When the study authors crunched the numbers they found that the CCW holders were far more likely than the average respondent to help a stranded motorist.

In my experience, those who legally carry, are protective by nature. They not only wish to protect themselves, they wish to protect others as well. If there is trouble, they want to have the tools to deal with the situation. Again, I've seen no studies but I bet if they did further analyze CCW holders they would find they tend to be prepared in most areas of their lives - whether it be with jumper cables, fire insurance, or a handy first aid kit.

Trying to get back to the subject...

I don't advocate for or against someone legally carrying a concealed weapon, especially for geocaching. It's not easy to do well and if you're not motivated you're not going to end up carrying anyway - even with a license.

In truth, the risk is quite small, especialy when hiking with a partner I can outrun.

In my best Larry the Cable Guy voice: "Now that's funny, I don't care where you are!"

I would've posted this earlier, but I had to dry out all the Sassafras tea from my keyboard.:lol::laughing::P

My Caching partner for that hike is from the Navy, so...

I carried long before I started caching and never leave home without it so of course It's with me when caching. Either a glock 19 in a galco IWB or s&w 642 38. Just spent the weekend caching in Detroit and never once thought about being armed. So to answer the original post. Yes.