Topo Maps etc.

nam69

You guys probably went over this many times with others but I want to get this right the first time. I want to buy a Pa topo map that will show my area for the trails, lakes etc.I dont need anything to go with different towns of Pa as I have a GPS for my car already. What I am asking for is a topo map I could load onto my GPS and my computer of the area I live in which is Schuykill county 18252 zip. Should I just call Garmin and ask or does someone live in my area that can help me get this map. I want to be able to print out parts of the land I am about to go hiking on so I have that along with my GPS which is Garmin 60csx. I dont want to buy a chip I would like the disc to load onto my computer and then in my gps. I need some help on this one so I get the right one, Thanks guys for the help, I find this site a real life saver and as soon as I can get with the program and getting out there I am going to be a Premium member. Lots of snow on the ground here today so its going to put a damper on things. I guess thats why I have been twisted up the last couple of days. Your body is a great weather forecaster. Pete

see www.gpsfiledepot.com for free maps. Garmin sells map packages that you might also find useful. Garmin's Northeast 24K topo covers PA. 100K US Topo covers the entire US.

The free ones I have seen are really quite good. Take a peek at the link.

I did go to the gps file and downloaded a topo pa map. Saved it then ran it, but it would not open. Everytime I went to run it , it would say hit install then the nag screen would come up and say this was downloaded already, So then I right clicked on it and tried to open it and it took be back to the same wizard, So I could not get it to run

On your unit you will need to select that map as the map you want to use. Your unit will be differnt then mine but under setup and maps you'll find where you can toggle what map to use. On GPSFileDepot its best to go with the editor's choice maps. In PA the best maps to go with are the Northeast Topo United States. Part 1 of 3 covers the northern part of PA while the Part 3 of 3 covers the southern part on into MD. Being in MD i use Northeast Topo United States part 3 of 3. I found the US Planimetric maps to clutter the little black and white screen on my eTrex Legend H. May not be a problem on your unit.

On your unit you will need to select that map as the map you want to use. Your unit will be differnt then mine but under setup and maps you'll find where you can toggle what map to use. On GPSFileDepot its best to go with the editor's choice maps. In PA the best maps to go with are the Northeast Topo United States. Part 1 of 3 covers the northern part of PA while the Part 3 of 3 covers the southern part on into MD. Being in MD i use Northeast Topo United States part 3 of 3. I found the US Planimetric maps to clutter the little black and white screen on my eTrex Legend H. May not be a problem on your unit.

Never got it to my unit. This was all on the computer, I could not get it to run, it kept going bacxk to the install mode??

It is not a program that runs, it installs in mapsource.

In mapsource in the upper left you have a choice of what maps you look at, pick PA. then to send maps to the unit click on the button that sort of looks like MN on the tool bar. Then select the tiles ( sections if the map) you would like to send to the unit. There is a 2025 tile limit though, for PA you shouldn't come close to that. After you have selected send. the program will make a file it sends. You will get a warning telling you your about to erase maps, don't worry your not erasing the baseman, just previously sent maps like this.

After it's sent you will have to turn the PA map to "show"

on the unit on the map setup page.

I'm still new to this but just did the same thing you are asking about. (I have a garmin nuvi 1490)

I grabbed this file to use for PA trails http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

I had to use mapsource from garmin to load it into the nuvi.

When you click on the downloaded file it install itself into mapsource.

Open mapsource and you will see a pulldown menu that lets you choose a map to display.

I found it easier to use the main map first to "see" the area I was interested in and then bring up the downloaded map of trails next (using the pulldown menu).

Once I did this, all I had to do was use the select tool (polygon shape) and click over the area on the screen. It highlighted it and then all I had to do was click the icon that sends it to the gps unit.

I tried to do it first with just the trails file selected but you cannot see where you are (looks blank). If you use the main map first, you guarantee that you are selecting the trails in your area.

Hope that helps.