I wanna search by zip AND cache type.

srumrill

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

Have you tried a http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/?

Lil Devil http://www.lildevil.org/images/smiley/lildevil.gif

Yes I have, and I love the search options there. But sometimes, I just want to do the search on the fly right on the website, without waiting for my file to be e-mailed to me sometime during the day.

Why can't those same search options in Pocketquery be in the regular search website?

quote:
Originally posted by srumrill:

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

Have you tried a http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/?

Lil Devil http://www.lildevil.org/images/smiley/lildevil.gif

Yes I have, and I love the search options there. But sometimes, I just want to do the search on the fly right on the website, without waiting for my file to be e-mailed to me sometime during the day.

Why can't those same search options in Pocketquery be in the regular search website?

Take your pocket queries and run them thru clayjar's Watcher program.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

First, they wouldn't be a premium feature then. Second, for the same reason the PQs are only emailed once a day -- they're hard work for the database.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

quote:

First, they wouldn't be a premium feature then. Second, for the same reason the PQs are only emailed once a day -- they're hard work for the database.

It is true that this enhanced search feature is part of the premium services, but I would think that the real "gets" of premium feature is being able to download the query to a PDA - and less the enhanced search options.

I hardly think that adding this extra "cache type" query is much more work on the database than any other regular search. It's similar to using the default "advanced search" functionality and adding another search item.

Think about it: What's the difference in server effort between running a seach of caches within 50 miles with a particular keyword, and a search of caches within 50 miles that are classified as "webcam caches". Actually, I searching by cache type would be easier than keyword, since the search code would not have to scan through the entire cache page looking for a keyword.

I think the real "hard work" (and the reason these PQs are only e-maile once a day) is creating the .loc and .prc files, composing the e-mail, attaching these files, and sending it.

Jeremy - please, please add this functionality!!!

[This message was edited by srumrill on March 27, 2003 at 07:50 AM.]

the enhanced search functionality of the Pocket Queries (or at the very least being able to search by cache type) with the immediacy of the regular searches.

I think a lot of users would be interested in this. Sometimes people are only interested in certain cache types. My father, for instance, LOVES multicaches. Me, being a new premium member, has found it nearly impossible to search for "members only" caches. This functionality would make it happen.

It could also work to have search results remove caches people aren't interested in. For instance, let's say you don't really want to do any webcam caches - perhaps they can indicate that they do not want these to appear in their search results.

Fine, make it a premuim feature, but please do the search on the fly, and display the results on the web. Don't make me wait for my once-a-day e-mail to download a file to my PDA.

That would be awesome!!!!

Scott

[This message was edited by srumrill on March 27, 2003 at 07:57 AM.]