Reviewing different GPSr's ....what to purchase?

I have been using my cell phone since I started Geocaching (Motorola Droid) in Aug of last year.

It seemed logical at the time since it was always at hand but then came the inconvenience when a text or call would come in...and lets not even mention the battery usage (I had to purchase a back up).

I do want to look into actual GPSr's but Im not sure what I am looking for.

I dont want to go cheap and unreliable and I dont want to go over the top and out of my range since I would just use it for the sport.

I havent really looked at them but have noticed light ones other cacher friends have worn around their necks and I like that hands-free option.

Also do they make them waterproof? I know some of you are probably laughing because I do not know squat about these things but, hey, I gotta know lol.

The kids and I tend to do alot of dirty caching - in the water, in the rain, mud etc and the whole "Droid in a baggie" is getting old.

And what about function? Do you have to download a geo app of some sort or is it simply a plug and download coords thing? I know, I am a GPSr dummy - need to buy a book or something lol.

Someone fill me in please....and give me hints where to buy them :anicute:

Thanx in advance!

I can't emphasize enough the importance of actually holding and using a unit before you buy.

I'm going to recommend a Garmin Oregon 200. Although discontinued now - you can find them at bargain prices around $170.

Touchscreen, high sensitivity, Geocaching friendly, USB transfers, no external software needed, rugged, water resistant.

Check Amazon.

All dedicated handhelds, even the cheapest ones, provide a basic function: tell you where you are, where you've been and how to get to where you want to go. In other words, they store a number of waypoints (how many depends on the model) and will guide you to any one of them if you start navigation to it. That's what you use for caching.

Most models (all except for the cheapest ones) also show you maps of some sort. They may be preinstalled or you may need to load them up. They may be streets only, they may contain topo data, they even may be aerial images. All depends on the model, what it supports and what maps you have (possibly through purchase).

All respectable handhelds are waterproof, usually according to the IPX7 standard. Most if not all will also provide some sorts of attachment options - lanyard attachment, carabiner clip and the likes. The vast majority run on AA batteries, which makes battery life a non-issue. Battery life on a single set of batteries depends on the model.

The newer, better and more expensive models support "paperless geocaching", meaning you don't just get a flat list of waypoints, but you get the full caches details - name, ratings, descriptions, hint, logs. A popular alternative to that is to pair a non-paperless GPS with a smartphone, PDA or some such. GPS for navigation, the other device for all the info.

None of the handhelds are "online" like a phone would be.

Now you need to decide on what features you want and what your budget is.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of actually holding and using a unit before you buy.

I'm going to recommend a Garmin Oregon 200. Although discontinued now - you can find them at bargain prices around $170.

Touchscreen, high sensitivity, Geocaching friendly, USB transfers, no external software needed, rugged, water resistant.

Check Amazon.

How about "bouncing"? Do actual GPSr's do this as much as cell apps? Especially in high wooded areas....I will start trekking to GZ then my little "blue guy" dead stops...Next thing I know I have passed GZ by 15 feet once it re-registers itself. I didnt know if this was a GSP thing in general or if it happened more on cell phone applications. :huh:

Check Amazon.

How about "bouncing"? Do actual GPSr's do this as much as cell apps? Especially in high wooded areas....I will start trekking to GZ then my little "blue guy" dead stops...Next thing I know I have passed GZ by 15 feet once it re-registers itself. I didnt know if this was a GSP thing in general or if it happened more on cell phone applications. :huh:

All handheld GPS devices suffer from "bounce" to some degree. The high sensitivity receiver in the Oregon helps to mitigate the issue quite a bit but under heavy foliage, it just happens -- and to all units from time to time. Especially near GZ. Put the GPS away when within 20 feet or so and look for likely hiding spots.

Edited by StarBrand