Can I Go Paperless With a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx?

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to go paperless with a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. Because I'm getting tired of writing out or printing out cache descriptions and clues.

not really. You can get some limited information on the unit with GSAK macros but the unit is really not a paperless unit.

I once read a pretty detailed description on how to make a 60CSx paperless.

I'm not tech savvy enough to remember the details, but it involved turning your PQ into a custom POI file.

At that point, your number of caches in your unit is only limited by the size of your memory card.

The person who posted the "How To" said they had upwards of 10,000 caches in their device.

I never tried it myself, so I can't speak for the veracity of the claim.

I used GSAK without a macro to put some information on the 60csx that I wanted (size, difficulty level, type and a portion of the hint if any), but found a cheap pda that filled in the gaps. The pda was eventually replaced by the geosphere app on the iphone, which I still use even with a paperless unit.

Edited by mulvaney

News to me that there's a workaround for paperless caching on the 60CSx. Interesting.

The lack of integrated paperless support on the 60CSx is the only reason I don't use mine as much any more, for the most part I've switched to the Oregon. The Colorado series also supprots paperless caching, if I recall correctly.

If you install the Custom POI upgrade on your 60CSx, there's no need for a macro, is there?

When your PQ comes in, load it to GSAK, then export as a .gpx file. Run the Custom POI wizard, and select the exported file.

The wizard removes the old file from your device as it loads the new file, so all your data is current.

I think? :unsure:

The others are correct in that the 60csx does not natively do paperless and you can use the Custom POI method to go paperless, but the results are a real clumsy way to get the data.

Other options for going paperless with that device include Cachemate (with a Palm, Android, Windows Smartphone, and Pocket PC. There are also other smartphone apps available. These all mean you use another device to hold your cache descriptions while you use the 60csx to hold your basic cache info and do your navigation.

You can also use the wap interface (wap.geocaching.com). This gives you a limited search capability as well as the ability to display and log caches using your cell phone. Of course, you need a cell signal to use it.

I use the 60csx with Cachemate on an old Palm. I use the wap site as a backup if I don't have my Palm with me. When the Palm dies, if it does before the 60csx, I'll either go to the Geocaching.com Android app or the Cachemate android app. If the 60csx dies first, then the matter will be moot as I will get a paperless gizmo next time.

I think part of the contradiction here is defining "paperless." I use the "GarminCsvPoiExport-v2" GSAK macro to load caches into my 60csx. It's not nearly the same amount of info you'd find in a Dakota, for instance, where you'd have descriptions, hints, past logs, etc. On my 60 I have a basic entry for each cache, and also, the hint for each cache if there is one. I get the last 4 log summary in the form like "FFNF" but not the logs. i use this GSAK code string for the cache name and description:

%Smart %typ=1/%con=1 %dif/%ter %code << This is the list entry

%last4: %datelf Pl: %datepl %ownerName << This is the detail once I click on a cache in the list

This might yield a list entry of:

TheSerpent T/M 1.5/1.5 GC1XXXX

And a detail of Last 4, date last found, date placed and owner:

FFFF: 3/19/11 Pl: 5/1/09 Sky King 36

In concert with my Nuvi, which has full logs and descriptions, I have a very robust solution. But even by itself, I can still lookup, and search for a cache using ONLY my 60csx... And I often do... and so in that sense it really is paperless. I am actually data-laden... I also carry a Nuvi that has the full cache description and logs of the same caches in my 60... I also have the android app... AND the Trimble Navigator app on a blackberry. But I *can* get by on just my 60 when I need to.