Geocaching Abroad with iPhone and TB

Hi, I'm travelling to Thailand later this year and i would really like to go geocaching, what do i do to be able to geocache overseas? are there different rules or anything? Has anyone used an iPhone abroad for the GPS? if you have what mobile service provider did you use to get the internet? or did you somehow do it without internet on the phone?

I also plan on releasing a TB whilst there and its goal will be to travel around the globe and then make its way back to a certain cache near home, is that to specific and would it ever be possible? or would it be better to have it come to my state?

thanks in advance, these may seem dumb but im still learning about geocaching :)

Hi, I'm travelling to Thailand later this year and i would really like to go geocaching, what do i do to be able to geocache overseas? are there different rules or anything?

Nope! Just make sure you observe local tresspass laws etc, but that's the same everywhere.

Has anyone used an iPhone abroad for the GPS? if you have what mobile service provider did you use to get the internet? or did you somehow do it without internet on the phone?

What do you mean by "abroad", what's abroad for you might not be for others. You can do geocaching offline on the iPhone by setting up a pocket query in advance, and downloading the map tiles for each cache. Data transfer while 'roaming' tends to be quite expensive!

I also plan on releasing a TB whilst there and its goal will be to travel around the globe and then make its way back to a certain cache near home, is that to specific and would it ever be possible? or would it be better to have it come to my state?

You can give a TB whatever mission you like, and navigating back to a specific cache is a reasonable and common one!

Hi, I'm travelling to Thailand later this year and i would really like to go geocaching, what do i do to be able to geocache overseas? are there different rules or anything?

Nope! Just make sure you observe local tresspass laws etc, but that's the same everywhere.

Has anyone used an iPhone abroad for the GPS? if you have what mobile service provider did you use to get the internet? or did you somehow do it without internet on the phone?

What do you mean by "abroad", what's abroad for you might not be for others. You can do geocaching offline on the iPhone by setting up a pocket query in advance, and downloading the map tiles for each cache. Data transfer while 'roaming' tends to be quite expensive!

You can give a TB whatever mission you like, and navigating back to a specific cache is a reasonable and common one!

thanks for answering, and by abroad i mean overseas, and how do i use pocket queries? it doesnt let me press it

thanks for answering, and by abroad i mean overseas, and how do i use pocket queries? it doesnt let me press it

Over what seas? i.e. I have no idea what country you are in right now.

To use a pocket query you first need to buy premium membership.

oh yeh i didnt think about that lol, im in Australia right now, ok thanks

Hi, I'm travelling to Thailand later this year and i would really like to go geocaching, what do i do to be able to geocache overseas? are there different rules or anything? Has anyone used an iPhone abroad for the GPS? if you have what mobile service provider did you use to get the internet? or did you somehow do it without internet on the phone?

thanks in advance, these may seem dumb but im still learning about geocaching :)

I have traveled to numerous countries, on three continents plus Central America with my iPhone and have found geocaches in most of the places I've traveled. However, I did not use my iPhone to navigate to caches, but instead brought my handheld GPS with me.

As someone else mentioned, data roaming charges can be astronomical (typically $20 USD per megabyte) and if you're going to use the official Groundspeak app it'll require data downloads for search results and rendering maps. I know that there are apps for the Droid phones that will allow you to navigate using the compass without internet access but I'm not sure if there is something that works well for the iPhone.

As someone else mentioned, you can use Pocket Queries (you must have a premium membership though) and pre-download cache listings but, if you use an app which navigates using maps you'll need to be able to either pre-load all the map tiles or be able to navigate using the compass.

It seems to me that your trip is a good excuse to purchase a handheld GPS. For my most recent trip to Costa Rica I downloaded detailed free routable maps (http://garmin.na1400.info/) that worked really well for finding my way around a country that is full of small twisty roads but hasn't quite grasped the concept of street signs. I also found a couple of geocaches while I was there.

When geocaching abroad (meaning anywhere outside of any country) with iPhone its best to use in airplane mode with all maps and PQs preloaded with premium membership.

If you need the smartphone for anything else you will be charged astronomical fees. Also, in my past use in Scotland, getting the PQ opened in the Groundspeak app is not very fast and working in airpalne mode is far from optimal.

With just about any carrier, the minute the cellular service is turned on the roaming fees are activated. With US carriers, its about $50 in roaming and ridiculous per minute internet charges.

I know areas like the UK have carriers that rent smartphones for short term, but not sure about Thailand. Check into travel sites with keywords like smartphone and iPhone to find out local Thai carriers charge.

You also may not want to flash around a smartphone around in some areas.

But, as NY PaddleCacher suggests this may be a good opp for you to go and get a handheld GPS. It will be far more accurate, hold vast numbers of caches and be able to find nearby attractions easily (depending on the GPS and map package purchased). And you can find free maps to DL online, I found some for a visit in Barbados, but if you are going to stay for any length of time and will be driving around, I suggest paying for a map loaded with POIs like gas, lodging, restaurants, etc--if available for Thailand.

Enjoy your trip!

Would love to know what route you took!

Cheers!

When geocaching abroad (meaning anywhere outside of any country) with iPhone its best to use in airplane mode ... else you will be charged astronomical fees.

That's a bit extreme. On the iPhone, you can go to Settings, Network, and turn Data Roaming OFF. This would let have access to data anyplace within range of a WiFi hotspot (or your own provider's cellular data) without the risk of incurring roaming charges when you stepped out of range.

That said, I'd also echo other folks' advice -- get a dedicated GPS to go along with the iPhone. It's a more effective geocaching setup than just a smartphone by itself -- especially more than a smartphone with data roaming turned off!

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I just got back from Florida, where it is pretty expensive to use data as a Canadian. Abroad doesn't have to be that far. Having said that, if I went to Thailand my data rate jumps to $45/MB which would mean a truly astonomical bill if I went there. Someone in Canada returned from a trip to Egypt with a $37,000 bill. Extreme, yes but it can and does happen. Now typically the mega bills are people who were not careful with their data abroad. Youtube is a very, very expensive site to visit abroad. Fortunately iOS4 defaults to data roaming OFF unless you specifically enable it.

While the official Geocaching app can be coaxed to work offline, I find Geosphere is far, far better for offline caching. I have 4,000 caches loaded up on my iPhone and all the search/filtering options work without a data connection (unless you want one). If you find a WiFi hotspot (like your hotel) it provides a handy interface to the Geocaching.com site where you can pull in your Pocket Queries, or you can use Safari to generate a new one. You can also use Geocaching.com's field notes functionality with the app.

The GPS on an iPhone 4 works without having a cellular signal so you do not need to enable cellular data.

Another option - but this requires a carrier unlocked phone - purchase a local prepaid microsim (iPhone 4 uses microsim, not sim) at your destination and pay local data rates. Chances are if you paid less than $600 for your iPhone it's carrier locked - you will have to check that before you attempt that method.

thanks for all the replies, how easy is it to get pocket queries? im not a premium member but will possibly become one for this reason. i have also been looking into carriers over there and they are extremely confusing expecially since half is written in thai and half in english. and not all charge per MB most charge per minute which confuses me even more.

thanks for all the replies, how easy is it to get pocket queries? im not a premium member but will possibly become one for this reason. i have also been looking into carriers over there and they are extremely confusing expecially since half is written in thai and half in english. and not all charge per MB most charge per minute which confuses me even more.

For Pocket Queries, I am going to say they are well worth the membership price. For how to use them, I'd suggest you start here. Then, once you are comfortable, let us know which app you settle on as the instructions for using Pocket Querys with the iPhone apps are different, depending on which app you use.

Just a reminder about looking at carriers over there. Your cell phone must not be carrier locked. If it's an iPhone, it is almost certainly locked to your carrier check with your provider before you go. There are a few carriers who carry unlocked iPhones on their networks. I am not sure what the status is of the Australian carriers, which is where your profile says you are.

For Pocket Queries, I am going to say they are well worth the membership price. For how to use them, I'd suggest you start here. Then, once you are comfortable, let us know which app you settle on as the instructions for using Pocket Querys with the iPhone apps are different, depending on which app you use.

Just a reminder about looking at carriers over there. Your cell phone must not be carrier locked. If it's an iPhone, it is almost certainly locked to your carrier check with your provider before you go. There are a few carriers who carry unlocked iPhones on their networks. I am not sure what the status is of the Australian carriers, which is where your profile says you are.

i would be using the Groundspeak app, and i have just recently unlocked my phone as i had to change carrier so all good there :)