Etrex Venture HC or eXplorist GC?

Dr.Trenton

Hi all, I've been wondering about this for a while, and finally decided to bring it here. The two units I've been concidering are:

Refurbished Etrex Venture HC: $109

eXplorist GC: $144

I CAN go paperless with my ipod nano, but is it worth the $30 extra to have it all in one unit? Any difference in performence (e.g. sensetivity, ect.)? This will only be used for geocaching.

Edited by Dr.Trenton
I CAN go paperless with my ipod nano, but is it worth the $30 extra to have it all in one unit? Any difference in performence (e.g. sensetivity, ect.)? This will only be used for geocaching.

I don't have the eXplorist GC, so this is just some generic observations from someone who used to geocache with more than one device. I recommend choosing one device over two.

I used to geocache with a Venture HC and a Palm Vx. It got to be a hassle updating both units all the time. I like to load lots of caches, and it was a bother having to search for the cache on the Palm (instead of having it appear near the top of the list by distance). And since I don't need to refer to it all the time, many of the caches found don't get marked as found on the Palm, making it useless for field notes.

Field notes is one of the biggest advantage of going paperless. I can log my caches in the order they're found, and I don't need to stare at the map and try to remember in what order I found them (and this can be tricky for puzzle caches). Your nano doesn't even allow you to record found caches, I believe. If you're not OCD about logging them in order like I am, then this is no big deal, but still a great convenience.

Having one less item also means less chance of losing something when out caching. And with the nano, if your battery goes flat, you're out of luck (unless you have backup USB power).

I have the Explorer GC and I love it. Having premuim membership will give you information on hints,attributes,logs and other information when you download caches into the gps so it makes it paperless which is a great. I have been using this gps since Christmas and I have fouetnd it to be pretty acturate. I have had it bounce around some under heavy cover but when I walk in circles I end up having it settle on a direction. It does seem to chew up batteries but then I'm using it six to seven hours a day. It seems to last for about 18 hours or so depending on the battery type. Using the better batteries does make a difference.