Helping a cache owner...

CachinStrattons

Found a cache today (GC2KEZJ) - Cache was in place, but the log is all but destroyed. There was, strangely, a full size garbage bag, fresh from packaging, rolled up inside. Log was by itself in the cache, which has been under several feet of snow for months... needless to say, it's VERY soggy... can't even read the entries other than the FTF.

I pass this cache on the way to work, so I printed out a new micro log and put it in a mini zip-lock. Tomorrow morning, I plan on stopping a fixing the cache for the owner, as he lives 10-15 miles away. Since the log is not legible, I figured I would transcribe the finders and dates from the online log and just trash everything presently in the cache. What is in there is wholly useless...

Is this acceptable - I mean, I KNOW it's the right thing to do, and what I'm leaving would make it, essentially, a brand new cache. But am I stepping on anyone's toes here???

Just a question about courtesy, I guess.

Thanks everyone.

Found a cache today (GC2KEZJ) - Cache was in place, but the log is all but destroyed. There was, strangely, a full size garbage bag, fresh from packaging, rolled up inside. Log was by itself in the cache, which has been under several feet of snow for months... needless to say, it's VERY soggy... can't even read the entries other than the FTF.

I pass this cache on the way to work, so I printed out a new micro log and put it in a mini zip-lock. Tomorrow morning, I plan on stopping a fixing the cache for the owner, as he lives 10-15 miles away. Since the log is not legible, I figured I would transcribe the finders and dates from the online log and just trash everything presently in the cache. What is in there is wholly useless...

Is this acceptable - I mean, I KNOW it's the right thing to do, and what I'm leaving would make it, essentially, a brand new cache. But am I stepping on anyone's toes here???

Thanks everyone.

Email the cache owner and ask them. If it were mine, I'd certainly appreciate the effort and the help.

..... There was, strangely, a full size garbage bag, fresh from packaging, rolled up inside.....

I figured I would transcribe the finders and dates from the online log and just trash everything presently in the cache. What is in there is wholly useless...

The garbage bag dosen't seem strange to me at all actually, it is there to encourage CITO.

As for your main question, I would drop the CO a note to let them know your fixing the cache, I'm sure he/she won't mind but it would be polite to ask first.

There is a cache in our neighborhood That got LOOTED and tossed about and we tried to contact him for several months and published to the cache that I would like to due the maintenance my self and there was any objection please reply and after a month or so I fixed it. still no response from the cache owner. This cache (GC1T5QQ)is now up and running with the best of them. Was this O.K.?

The garbage bag dosen't seem strange to me at all actually, it is there to encourage CITO.

I actually hadn't thought of that, but the location and cache type still seems weird if that is the case. I am certainly at a loss for any other explanation, so I will absolutely accept it. It was still really odd though... film canister, crammed to the hilt with plastic, and a (for all intents and purposes) destroyed log.

I should have put 2 and 2 together with the bag (even though I'm not sure it fits this scenerio), and I'm happy to have had you make that comment. There are areas where I have cached, and many more that we are planning on, where CITO is an especially big thing to me (and to convey to my 9-year-old). Now I'll at least understand when I encounter it again.

Just change it "yeah go ahead, no problem" Isn't that what you would do for a friend???

This was my initial thought, as well. Then that voice in my head (the one that read all the Groundspeak caching guidelines) reminded me that I am, technically, messing with someone else's property. I really don't wanna tick anyone off... just want to be a good member of the community, ya know?

If it were mine, and it were totally messed, I would appreciate someone fixing it. On the other hand, I have read about some people really getting angry about others "interfering" with their stuff.

Just being my overly-cautious self, I guess. :unsure:

Thanks everyone.

Your wanting to help for the sake of helping is both kind and admirable. Unfortunately, this is a game/sport where you have to ask for permission before you lend assistance or help someone for fear of insulting or making them angry.

I remember the time we replaced a LPC and then received a really angry, bordering on hate mail, email from the owner stating how dare we replace her LPC without asking.

Not that it matters but if you did what you have planned for one of our caches, we would be eternally grateful and thankful that you were a cacher in our area.

Thanks again, everyone.

I E-Mailed the owner, as suggested, and he was grateful for me having made the offer. Saved him the gas, as he put it. Very friendly fellow, it seems.

I appreciate the honest advice. I would have just replaced everything, as I mentioned, and noted it later. I'm glad that I asked... I certainly don't want to upset anyone. :)