Logs in Pocket Queries

Bobbinz

Hi,

I'm trying to download the cache info of all the caches I own an have set up a simple "my hides" pocket query. This works fine and gets all my hides except it does not download all the logs on a cache only the latest few. Is there a way to download all the logs for a specific cache?

Bobbinz

Hi,

I'm trying to download the cache info of all the caches I own an have set up a simple "my hides" pocket query. This works fine and gets all my hides except it does not download all the logs on a cache only the latest few. Is there a way to download all the logs for a specific cache?

Bobbinz

No. PQs only give the last few logs. Many people use GSAK to build a greater amount of logs over time, but you can't go back and get the old ones.

Hi,

I'm trying to download the cache info of all the caches I own an have set up a simple "my hides" pocket query. This works fine and gets all my hides except it does not downlo'S ad all the logs on a cache only the latest few. Is there a way to download all the logs for a specific cache?

Bobbinz

No. PQs only give the last few logs. Many people use GSAK to build a greater amount of logs over time, but you can't go back and get the old ones.

First my general statemnt (I tend to repeat) The answer to all handling of GPX files is GSAK.

It might be impolite to disagree with a charter member but in this case his information is incorrect.

There are two ways (recent hides and longer hides)

Recent hides. Go to the website for your cache click on the GPX download button. The GPX file contains many more logs than the PQ does. I have gotten as many as 40 logs in that for my own caches.

Hides for which the above doesn't work.

Get GSAK. Dump the My Caches PQ into a database i.e. MyCaches. Go to the GSAK website, master macro index, type addlogs into the search box and get that macro.

READ lignumaqua'S COMMENTS ABOUT HOW TO USE IT. EXCESSIVE USE CAN GET YOUR GS ACCOUNT LOCKED. DO ONE CACHE AT A TIME AND SPACE THEM OUT.

Hi,

I'm trying to download the cache info of all the caches I own an have set up a simple "my hides" pocket query. This works fine and gets all my hides except it does not downlo'S ad all the logs on a cache only the latest few. Is there a way to download all the logs for a specific cache?

Bobbinz

First my general statemnt (I tend to repeat) The answer to all handling of GPX files is GSAK.

It might be impolite to disagree with a charter member but in this case his information is incorrect.

There are two ways (recent hides and longer hides)

Recent hides. Go to the website for your cache click on the GPX download button. The GPX file contains many more logs than the PQ does. I have gotten as many as 40 logs in that for my own caches.

Hides for which the above doesn't work.

Get GSAK. Dump the My Caches PQ into a database i.e. MyCaches. Go to the GSAK website, master macro index, type addlogs into the search box and get that macro.

READ lignumaqua'S COMMENTS ABOUT HOW TO USE IT. EXCESSIVE USE CAN GET YOUR GS ACCOUNT LOCKED. DO ONE CACHE AT A TIME AND SPACE THEM OUT.

Thanks alot. I only need to do 3 caches so it shouldn't be that bad.

The individual cache GPX has the last 20 logs.

The macro mentioned just has to be a violation of the TOU agreement.

If you go read the comments from the macro maker and Kai Team you would find out that the froggie is well aware of this macro plus the macro has safe guards in it to prevent problems.

I cannot imagine that the GSAK team would ever do anything that violates the froggie's rules. Clyde has worked hard to keep a good relationship with them.

They are currently working on a way to download pq's with over 500 results directly into GASK.

If you go read the comments from the macro maker and Kai Team you would find out that the froggie is well aware of this macro plus the macro has safe guards in it to prevent problems.

I cannot imagine that the GSAK team would ever do anything that violates the froggie's rules. Clyde has worked hard to keep a good relationship with them.

They are currently working on a way to download pq's with over 500 results directly into GASK.

I regularly load PQs with 900+ results on a daily basis.

(Or are you talking about a direct link from GSAK to the Geocaching servers?)

The macro mentioned above used to work for any cache, but currently only works for caches you own.

I suppose there may be a way around that, but I wouldn't recommend trying.

I regularly load PQs with 900+ results on a daily basis.

(Or are you talking about a direct link from GSAK to the Geocaching servers?)

Walts is referring to the ability by GSAK to automatically pull in PQs without you clicking on them one by one. For PQs under 500, this works by having GSAK connect directly to the POP3 server that receives your PQ emails.

The macro mentioned above used to work for any cache, but currently only works for caches you own.

Yes, that is specifically added to prevent abuse.

I seem to recall that Groundspeak does know about this one, and while they will not officially approve it, they will not stomp on anyone using it either.

The only other way is to manually go to your cache page, click on "show all logs", save the HTML, and then write code to parse that to construct a GPX. But even that might technically be a violation of the TOU.

That is close. It contains 20 logs plus all of your logs so if you have a cache the you write a lot of logs for (like my Stargate) you can get way more than that.

As to the direct link. GSAK has a GetMail macro that will load PQ's from your email. Now that the froggie no longer sends the file for over 500 that doesn't work for those queries. They have said they are working on a way to be able to download and load those PQ'S.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Still though - it DOES scrape the website - and that does indeed violate the TOU - even if the froggie chooses to turn its head at this point.