The Mega Wales Supporter's Pack Geocoin

Eclectic Penguin

I'm posting this here because it does involve a brand new Geocoin that we're creating specifically for the forthcoming Mega Wales 2011 Geocaching Event, being held in the City of Swansea, in the United Kingdom on 31st July 2011.

The supporter's coin will only be available as part of the Supporter's pack, which can be purchased on our on-line shop, and the supporter's packs cost £13 for a single coin, £21 for 2 coins and £29 for 3 coins. Details of the supporter's packs can be found here. The coins will have their own icons and will be part of the WA tracking number sequences we've been using for previous Mega Wales geocoins (such as the slate Geocoins and the miner's lamp).

It seems that not announcing the details of the coin's design itself has become a bit of a tradition amongst the UK mega events - but suffice to say that it's being made by Oakcoins, is roughly 4.5cm in width and height and samples have already been produced and all who've seen them are very pleased with the designs.

The coins will be distributed as part of the supporter's packs at the event, on the day of the event, however it is appreciated that not everyone who wants to buy a supporter's pack will be able to attend so arrangements will be made to send packs out by post if necessary, but we may have to ask for post and package costs to be paid by the purchaser. However, a final decision will be made on this much closer to the event, when the overall financial position is known with a high degree of confidence. Please bear in mind that coins will only be manufactured a few weeks before the event and, as the planned first appearance of the coins will be on the day of the event, we will not be dispatching any in advance of this time.

There are currently no plans to distribute the coins on their own to the general public. If this is something you would like us to consider, please contact me through my Geocaching profile and if enough are interested we may consider this possibility.

Hmmmm..... its a little bit expensive, isn`t ?

Please read the entire post before making comments like this.

It seems expensive because this coin is currently provided only as a part of a fund raising supporter's pack for the Mega Wales event which contains a lot more material, besides the coin (please read the link provided in the original post). It's not just about the geocoin(s) and also contains other materials too. It's a fund raising pack for a Mega event which contains the Geocoin(s) also contains other things too and at the end of the day, initially will only be available to folk who attend the Mega.

With this coin, we're not really interested in selling it as a coin, but making the coin as part of the reward of providing support towards our event. However as a coin fanatic myself, as well as the coin's producer and designer of one side, knowing how much time it I spent on getting the detail right on my side of the coin, I realise that some folk may just be interested in buying the coin. THAT's why I posted this information this afternoon, with the last paragraph asking if folk would be possibly interested in JUST the coin...

Yes, very expensive for just a coin - but that's not what this coin is about. The last paragraph was a request asking if anyone would be interested in just the coin. That would no doubt be cheaper than the costs mentioned for supporter's packs but at the moment we also have no plans to sell these supporter coins on their own, unless there's a demand for them.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

I can now confirm that the only way to get hold of one or more of these South Wales Mega Event 2011 Geocoins is to buy a supporter's pack for Mega Wales 2011, which along with the coin(s), will contain a number of other Geocaching related goodies wrapped in a camouflage bag. It has been decided that the Supporter's Geocoin will not be sold separately. Supporter's packs will be made available for the first time on the day of the event after people have registered attendance in the foyer of the Brangwyn Hall, Swansea on July 31st.

It's appreciated that some people may wish to support the event or buy the Geocoin by buying the pack but have no intention/ability to attend personally on the day. If this is the case, please leave a note while purchasing stating that this is the case - you will then be contacted closer to the time when we've worked out if we'll need to charge a small extra postage fee. No packs will be sent out before the day of the Mega Event.

Note also that there will be a cut-off date for purchasing the supporter's pack after which no further packs will be available - this currently hasn't been set but I suspect this will be around mid-May - I'll post that here as soon as I know.

I have some samples of the Supporter's Geocoin in my possession and I have to say I really think they look fantastic!