polished vs. satin vs. foggy vs. shiny plating

wenzelbub

If I look at my samples it looks like this:

- gold (or polished gold): polished on first and second level

- foggy gold: polished first level and foggy second level

- satin gold: "foggy" first and second level

What is shiny plating? Mint told me it does not tarnish and should be ussed instead of satin gold. So satin and shiny looks like same?

If I look at Bewitched Geocoin "Gold + Foggy Gold" Photo, isn't this only a foggy gold plating?

What is the difference between first level foggy gold and first level polished gold?

:unsure:

I actually asked my mint folks this as it came up during plans for the Mini-Doubloons this year. Foggy and Satin are actually different; the Satin finish is achieved during the plating process itself, and the Foggy finish is done as a post-plating process. Exactly how it's done or what in particular is being done, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that with the Satin finish, something's done so that the metal adheres with a matte, rather than shiny, finish, and that the Foggy plating is done with very fine-grit sandblasting (and then they polish the raised areas smooth again). Again, that's just my guess for now. Also, your mileage may vary -- different mints may do different things and give them similar names.