Garmin Dakota 20

wicca303

Oops. It would appear that i just bought a Garmin Dakota online.

I've never had my own GPS before, i used to go caching with a friend and he used a Garmin Etrex, which i looked at but decided i might as well spend the extra and get something so i could do paperless caching, and decided on the Dakota because it had the 3-axis compass like the Oregon, but was in my budget range.

Does anyone have any hints and tips on getting the most from this unit? I know i need to upgrade my membership to Premium so i can run pocket queries to load onto it, but have no idea what they really are or how to go about it? Are there idiot proof (step by step) instructions somewhere?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for all the stupid questions i'm going to be asking.

The Dakota is getting delivered on Wednesday afternoon and I plan to use it on Saturday for the first time. Will be upgrading my membership on Thursday.

Toni.

Just realised i got my dates mixed up so won't be upgrading my membership until the week after now. However i would still like to be able to do a few specific caches on the saturday. Is there a way to load the full cache info (description, hints, etc) without doing the pocket query?

I only need to do it for about 10 caches.

Thanks.

Read the wiki page but don't understand some of the things it's telling me.

Thanks.

Just realised i got my dates mixed up so won't be upgrading my membership until the week after now. However i would still like to be able to do a few specific caches on the saturday. Is there a way to load the full cache info (description, hints, etc) without doing the pocket query?

You can do that (through the "GPX file" or "send to GPS" buttons), but you'd still need a premium membership. "Send to GPS" still works with a basic membership, but you won't get the cache description nor the hint. You could only use a 3rd party tool like GSAK to "hand craft" the GPX using copy/paste from the cache page.

PQs have two functions, their main function is a bulk download of a large number of cache listings (with all the details) and the secondary use is an extended search. Try here for a good intro: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

You can do that (through the "GPX file" or "send to GPS" buttons), but you'd still need a premium membership. "Send to GPS" still works with a basic membership, but you won't get the cache description nor the hint. You could only use a 3rd party tool like GSAK to "hand craft" the GPX using copy/paste from the cache page.

PQs have two functions, their main function is a bulk download of a large number of cache listings (with all the details) and the secondary use is an extended search. Try here for a good intro: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Hi,

Thanks for that. Been and read it. Think i've got it but it's raised another query.

GSAK............do i need to download this program to be able to download pocket queries to my Garmin Dakota? The advice is slightly conflicting and i'm not sure what bit is right. Or when i get the Dakota (and my premium membership) and download it's software, can I just plug it in and drag'n'drop the pocket query files onto it, or even then would i need another program inbetween?

Thanks, and sorry for the slight dumbness, it'll fade fast once i get the Dakota and can start playing around.

Once you've got the unit and the premium membership you'll be able to download the pocket queries directly onto the GPS. The GPS will appear on your computer like an additional removable drive.

GSAK is a program that is extremely useful at managing cache data bases but is not an absolute requirement. I have GSAK and use it to merge 7 PQ's covering an area larger than London. I would recommend that once you are happy with your GPS you have a look at GSAK as it is free (with the nag screen). I did and quickly paid for it as it is so good.

Have a look at the Dakota Wiki it will help with this and much much more.

Thanks. Read the Oregon wiki which the Dakota wiki links to and there's some great tips i'm looking forward to trying out.

I'm hoping when i have the unit in hand i will be much less confused by things the wiki's talk about. :anicute:

After working out how to use the GPS to it's full extent (as regards geocaching) my next step is trying to work out how to do puzzle caches. They just completely baffle me. :ph34r:

You have made an outstanding purchase! I have played with over 20 different receivers, and next to the GPSMAP62S, I would say the Dakota 20 is my favorite. You won't have to upgrade for a while. If you want to get ahead of the Dakota 20 learning curve, you can download (for free) the owner's manual at garmin.com. Just look at the menu bar for "support" and click on "manuals" and go from there. You will really like the Dakota!

You have made an outstanding purchase! I have played with over 20 different receivers, and next to the GPSMAP62S, I would say the Dakota 20 is my favorite. You won't have to upgrade for a while. If you want to get ahead of the Dakota 20 learning curve, you can download (for free) the owner's manual at garmin.com. Just look at the menu bar for "support" and click on "manuals" and go from there. You will really like the Dakota!

Thanks for that, i spent weeks reading everything on the forums about different GPS units before deciding. I knew i wanted a Garmin but didn't know which one.

Oh brilliant will go download it now.

Edited by wicca303