Getting permission to place caches

Jason-Payne

Why would I create a fake account to come into my own thread to answer my own question? If I already knew the answer I wouldn't have posted the damned thing here. I really do not have the motivation or urge to play any message-board games. So either take me as being me and not that Cane guy or just get out of this thread because you are not helping me with my question.

You got a lot of good replies.

Take the information you got and go sit down and write something up.

Is it tomorrow or next Friday you will talk to them?

Contact some other cachers from your area. Have someone go with you. It would be good to get someone who has 5,000 or more caches under their belt and has been a part of the community for years, and knows how to talk to these people. Others HAVE dealt with this before. Use their experience.

Get on the caching forum for your area or just go to caches near you and look for local cachers who have a lot of caches. Best to find the forums and find someone who is heading a caching organization near you. They'll know all the local laws and how to do this.

Go do this now, and don't worry about this sock puppet crap. You've got some work to do for this meeting. How you do this meeting will have an effect on hundreds if not thousands of cachers after you, so you need to get this right.

Find help!!!

Edited by Sol seaker

I'm confused. Do people think that I am a fake account? Or just the Caine guy? Or that I AM the Caine guy? What's going on?

Your profile shows somebody that has been around for a couple of years, has found a few caches, and even hid a brand new one, in Virginia. So that all looks legit. This other account, AshleyAshley or whatever, is most certainly bogus. What is puzzling to me, and apparently some others, is when he has, several times, confused his posts with your posts. But I'm not about to second guess you... you look legit, so I am going to assume that you are legit. And you asked a good question. Welcome to the forums, for better and for worse.

And Sol Seaker... thanks for thinking of posting that explaination. I think that was a very good idea.

Thanks!

I have no clue why he/she/it is posting like that. I wish I could say that it doesn't bother me that people think I am trying to be deceptive about something, but it does. I haven't done anything at all to make people distrust me. *shrug*

I must say, however, that your avatar isn't doing you any good. It looks remarkably similar to the sort of avatar that another well-known and persistant sock puppet would choose. First impressions and all that, y'know.

Why do you need someone with 5,000 caches to ask for permission? What is so special about having a lot of caches? Some of those people who placed the caches witout permision were older caches. That doesn't seem to say they know anymore than anyone else.

It's just a suggestion.

Having someone with you who already knows all the laws of the area would be helpful, and it's hard to know who that is.

That is one way of knowing who has been around for a while, that's all.

It would be good to find someone who has already been though the same situation as you are stepping into. This is a very important role you'll be playing and it would be helpful if you had someone with you who has done it before and already knows all the laws.

I'm confused. Do people think that I am a fake account? Or just the Caine guy? Or that I AM the Caine guy? What's going on?

Your profile shows somebody that has been around for a couple of years, has found a few caches, and even hid a brand new one, in Virginia. So that all looks legit. This other account, AshleyAshley or whatever, is most certainly bogus. What is puzzling to me, and apparently some others, is when he has, several times, confused his posts with your posts. But I'm not about to second guess you... you look legit, so I am going to assume that you are legit. And you asked a good question. Welcome to the forums, for better and for worse.

And Sol Seaker... thanks for thinking of posting that explaination. I think that was a very good idea.

I have gone through this thread to see if I have posted anything that could be taken as this other person, and I can not find anything. I have also looked at all of thier posts and do not see "several" instances where they could have posted as me. What I do see is once instance where they have said "I'll" instead of "I'd", which could have been a typo.

I am not "digging" my hole deeper by defending myself. What am I supossed to do? Sit back and let everyone here call me a liar for something that I have no clue about? I really want to be a part of this community and take part in this hobby. But if this is the way that people here get treated that why am I here? I can delete my account and go rip down that cache I put up today.

Edited by DangerPayne

Why do you need someone with 5,000 caches to ask for permission? What is so special about having a lot of caches? Some of those people who placed the caches witout permision were older caches. That doesn't seem to say they know anymore than anyone else.

Hey.... you got a new keyboard! Awesome. This one even capitalizes for you, much less spells correctly. I don't see anywhere for you to go from here but up! Well... "witout permision" could use some work, but still, much improved.

Why would I create a fake account to come into my own thread to answer my own question? If I already knew the answer I wouldn't have posted the damned thing here. I really do not have the motivation or urge to play any message-board games. So either take me as being me and not that Cane guy or just get out of this thread because you are not helping me with my question.

I beleive you are who you say you are. Sounds like you took the time to get permission and you uncovered something that others want kept quite.

I have worked with some of the State Parks in Virginia before we had a geocaching policy. I know that you will encounter problems with some of the Parks in the Manassas area because they are Civil War battlefields and sites. Another good reason to reinstate virtual caches on this site, they are the only type caches allowed in some areas.

I beleive you are who you say you are. Sounds like you took the time to get permission and you uncovered something that others want kept quite.

I have worked with some of the State Parks in Virginia before we had a geocaching policy. I know that you will encounter problems with some of the Parks in the Manassas area because they are Civil War battlefields and sites. Another good reason to reinstate virtual caches on this site, they are the only type caches allowed in some areas.

Was my suggestion about NovaGO a valid one for the Manassas area, MPH?

I didn't even think about that... Although most of the Civil War sites are outside of the City.

I had no problem with Prince William County. I went into thier office, told them what I needed and they knew all the info that I needed to get the caches placed. Whether they would let me place them on the battlefields is another story, but they knew what I had to do to ask permission.

Edited by DangerPayne

I went to the site, but haven't had a chance to check into it. Thanks for the information!

I have gone through this thread to see if I have posted anything that could be taken as this other person, and I can not find anything. I have also looked at all of thier posts and do not see "several" instances where they could have posted as me. What I do see is once instance where they have said "I'll" instead of "I'd", which could have been a typo.

I am not "digging" my hole deeper by defending myself. What am I supossed to do? Sit back and let everyone here call me a liar form something that I have no clue about? I really want to be a part of this community and take part in this hobby. But if this is the way that people here get treated that why am I here? I can delete my account and go rip down that cache I put up today.

The avatar you've chosen isn't helping, as has been mentioned.

The "caine ashley" postings have been wildly inconsistent in style, grammar and spelling.

Replying to posts directed at one username as if they were directed at the other one...and more than one slipup, as pointed out in my post, #31.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks!

I have no clue why he/she/it is posting like that. I wish I could say that it doesn't bother me that people think I am trying to be deceptive about something, but it does. I haven't done anything at all to make people distrust me. *shrug*

I must say, however, that your avatar isn't doing you any good. It looks remarkably similar to the sort of avatar that another well-known and persistant sock puppet would choose. First impressions and all that, y'know.

My avatar is a picture of me that I bloodied up in photoshop. It was going to be the cover of a House/techno CD that I was going to put out 8 years ago. I never did, though. I changed the title of it and put it on my website for download. I can change my avatar if it's not kid friendly enough.

Thanks!

My avatar is a picture of me that I bloodied up in photoshop. It was going to be the cover of a House/techno CD that I was going to put out 8 years ago. I never did, though. I changed the title of it and put it on my website for download. I can change my avatar if it's not kid friendly enough.

Well no, not really kid friendly. There actually are a lot of young people with geo-accounts and a few do make it in here.

I'm definitely not a kid and I cringe when I see it. I guess those who watch a lot of horror flicks wouldn't bat an eye. Maybe save it and use it again at Halloween. :)

Thanks!

As far as I know, and as far as I am concerned, your avatar is your avatar. Not up to me to dictate, that's for sure. But just so that you can understand what I'm talking about, here is the avatar that I was referring to.

d8c14e75-2e97-4825-961a-7bfb371a270c.jpg

I am not "digging" my hole deeper by defending myself. What am I supossed to do? Sit back and let everyone here call me a liar form something that I have no clue about? I really want to be a part of this community and take part in this hobby. But if this is the way that people here get treated that why am I here? I can delete my account and go rip down that cache I put up today.

The avatar you've chosen isn't helping, as has been mentioned.

The "caine ashley" postings have been wildly inconsistent in style, grammar and spelling.

Replying to posts directed at one username as if they were directed at the other one...and more than one slipup, as pointed out in my post, #31.

Yeah, he's right though. Let's get back on topic.

We've had some fun.

Now what is he going to do about that meeting?

I tried to change my avatar. Now does anyone want the last 4 of my social security number? My mother's maiden name?

I'll take the full SSN and your mother's maiden name. PM me. :lol: :lol: Bank account numbers would be a nice bonus.

(if you seriously tried to change it, you need to log out and back in for the change to appear)

I tried to change my avatar. Now does anyone want the last 4 of my social security number? My mother's maiden name?

I'll take the full SSN and your mother's maiden name. PM me. :lol: :lol: Bank account numbers would be a nice bonus.

(if you seriously tried to change it, you need to log out and back in for the change to appear)

Yeah, that worked. Thanks. Any no personal info for you. :-P

People here are more than happy to help, as evidenced by the first 17 posts. They just don't like being taken as fools. You know you were posting under the other name. We know you were doing it. Just drop the charade and we can get on with the discussion.

People here are more than happy to help, as evidenced by the first 17 posts. They just don't like being taken as fools. You know you were posting under the other name. We know you were doing it. Just drop the charade and we can get on with the discussion.

No I wasn't. There is no charade from me. If anyone thinks I am a liar about anything, then please get out of my thread and don't bother replying.

Okay. Getting out of this thread. Have fun! :)

I will say this DangerPayne. If you present yourself at that meeting as you have in this forum it is not going to help our hobby. You are too combative. You will not get far with the good people of Manasas who have not a clue as to what geocaching is. Geocaching started out on the West coast and has slowly moved East.

Well looks like support of my suggestion.

Find a cacher who's got 5 years experience on you, and they can help in presentation too.

This is really important for a whole lot of people so shouldn't be taken lightly.

These other people have dealt with this before and can be a big help and make it a lot easier on you.

You said you quit your last job because you hate making presentations, well then get someone else who has already made one.

why not save yourself all the trouble if you hate doing it anyway?

There are many cachers who would LOVE to help with something like this.

Contact the caching organizations in your area, or use the post above to post a topic on the virginia forums to find someone in your area.

I missed your suggestion about the Northern Virginia Assocation of Geocachers, but yes. That would be a great place to start. Many of them are my fellow Waymarkers, but I stay away from geocaching groups. I am a solo cacher.

I will say this DangerPayne. If you present yourself at that meeting as you have in this forum it is not going to help our hobby. You are too combative. You will not get far with the good people of Manasas who have not a clue as to what geocaching is. Geocaching started out on the West coast and has slowly moved East.

Find a cacher who's got 5 years experience on you, and they can help in presentation too.

This is really important for a whole lot of people so shouldn't be taken lightly.

These other people have dealt with this before and can be a big help and make it a lot easier on you.

You said you quit your last job because you hate making presentations, well then get someone else who has already made one.

Contact the caching organizations in your area, or use the post above to post a topic on the virginia forums to find someone in your area.

I very much support your idea. I'll share a little more information with you also. It helps when someone that supports your idea sends the persons in charge a nice email with the State letter head on it. It's called professional courtsey, and your email does not go directly to the junk folder.

Picture proof

Yeah, I agree. I've had a hard week. My uncle has cancer and I made the 6 hour trek to Britol to "see him for the last time". That's why I jumped into the geocaching thing this week after 6 months. I need to occupy my mind with a hobby. Sorry that I'm off the handle tonight. I am usually a lot calmer than this. I should have laughed the whole thing off... But... You know. Sorry I'm unloading on you. I'll go watch House or something.

I'll try to find someone to go with me.

I said that I quit because I hated making the presentations... But I am really good at it.

:)

Well it has been suggested now, that someone may have tried to make it look like you were using a sock puppet.

If that is the case, that is much more serious offense than just using a sock puppet (for the other guy, not you).

But whatever the case, yes, laugh it off, and work on your caches.

No one has it easy in this life, that is the truth. I'm sorry about your troubles this week.

Going caching helps a lot of us get our minds off our problems.

Cache on!!

Edited by Sol seaker

I'll try to find someone to go with me.

I said that I quit because I hated making the presentations... But I am really good at it.

:)

Good, then your ability to make the presentation, along with another cacher who has been around for years and knows the local laws and the geo-laws and can answer questions you may have not thought of, you will make a great team.

Yeah, I agree. I've had a hard week. My uncle has cancer and I made the 6 hour trek to Britol to "see him for the last time". That's why I jumped into the geocaching thing this week after 6 months. I need to occupy my mind with a hobby. Sorry that I'm off the handle tonight. I am usually a lot calmer than this. I should have laughed the whole thing off... But... You know. Sorry I'm unloading on you. I'll go watch House or something.

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I have been uptight lately too, but that is kinda of normal for me. Bristol is not far from where I live, but trust me, it is worlds apart. I don't like urban areas or crowded places.

Take care,

MPH.

"Kinda like... Goonies... only without... pirate skeletons... ummm..."

Actually...

Skeletons aside, this is something that has always worried me. When I ask permission, could I end up screwing things up for other CO's. I always try to contact other CO's with local hides before, just to get a feel for what is required.

I kinda feel like I was thrown under a bus. It's not my fault that the other guys never sought permission. I however am too honest not to. It would suck if I screwed things up for the other guys, but I doubt that the city will decide not to support it because:

1- It's going on anyways and will continue to do so even if they do not support it.

2- The other cities and counties around here support it and have programs in place.

3- I'm pretty convincing and charismatic. :-)

Keep in mind, too, that most likely only a few of those hundreds of caches that you mention are actually on city owned park property.

More than a few, really, but I understand what you are getting at.

Don't be too sure about #1. Valley of Fire SP, Nevada had about thirty caches in it, some going back to 2001, when a friendly couple walked into the visitors center and asked if they had a list of the geocaches. "The what" was their answer. Within a month, the rangers had collected every single cache in the park. They said that they would come up with a policy and that were not sure if physical caches would be a part of it. It's been two years with no policy. They do not return email asking about, (other NV SPs encourage caches). Meanwhile, the park has set up Earthcaches at all of the points of interest that are in the pamphlet that you get when you enter the park.

I trust today's news has nothing to do with this topic.

? :unsure:

Could you please provide more information?

Sorry, this post was for WRASTRO.

I have been following this topic, but not local events in Manassas.

Thanks.

An illegal imigrant from El Salvadore shot 5 people, killing 3 of them then stabbed an old lady in the head with a machete. They were all members of his girlfriends family. This all happened in the Georgetown South neighborhood, which is a bad section of town. There were two gang related stabbings last month in the same neighborhood. Mostly MS13 gang activity around there. It sucks.

I trust today's news has nothing to do with this topic.

? :unsure:

Could you please provide more information?

Sorry, this post was for WRASTRO.

I have been following this topic, but not local events in Manassas.

Thanks.

An illegal imigrant from El Salvadore shot 5 people, killing 3 of them then stabbed an old lady in the head with a machete. They were all members of his girlfriends family. This all happened in the Georgetown South neighborhood, which is a bad section of town. There were two gang related stabbings last month in the same neighborhood. Mostly MS13 gang activity around there. It sucks.

Oh man, that's awful. I am sorry to hear that. I guess know you understand why I feel unsafe in urban areas? I would not place a cache in a area that is known for gangs or tagged. I did encounter a cache in another State where the CO thought it was funny to list a cache in a Crips terrotiory. We did not know at that time what gang tags looked like. The cache was near a crack house or something. I guess we looked lost, or too red-necked to mess with? The CO thought it was funny to put people in danger. They posted "I would not attempet at night" on the listing.

We don't have much gang activity in our area, but we have drug related problems. Theft is at a all time high, and meth labs are common.

Newb post, sorry to interject into something has obviously derailed anyway, but I feel that I have input that may be valuable, assuming all original, given scenarios are truly valid.

I work in St. Clairsville, OH - My office has recently moved 1 block away, but for 8 years was across the street from the Belmont County courthouse, on the same floor as the Belmont County Magistrate's office (John Poludis - honestly, one of the fairest, most open-minded, and hilarious people I have ever known - passed on now, due to cancer). Mornings at the office were often spent chit-chatting with John, or more often, his two secretaries. The discussion turned to caching one day, actually by the secretary's lead. The original question - How many people actually seek proper permission, whatever that is defined as, which is another discussion, entirely.

She told me a story, and this was probably a year, or better, before I even knew what caching was. Somebody (I'm sorry, I wish I could tell you more) had asked somebody else who worked in the courthouse (again, sorry), what was necessary to get proper permission to place a geocache. A similar scenario to that of your's ensued, in which the potential CO had to meet with the city council. I don't know the experience of the person attempting to place the cache, but I remember the girl telling me that they brought a video of them seeking out a cache with them to their meeting. Apparently they had chosen a cache in a location that was very close, and familiar to the council, and recorded video of the entire expedition. Also worth noting that the cache that they were going for had already been in place for a significant period of time (sorry, memory isn't reliable to put a real time-frame on it). Nobody had EVER been any the wiser. Once they watched the video, they deemed the entire thing to be harmless, and granted permission.

Interesting side-note to that story though, and for some reason, I remember this distinctly: They were so interested that they continued to ask questions for quite some time. The one thing that they were not comfortable with - Guardrail hides. These are very popular among cachers, but they were very concerned about large numbers of people wandering along the roadways looking for stuff. I can see their point - it all comes down to common sense when planting your cache.

Anyway, I really hope this helps... As I said, I'm a newb to caching, but I am in a unique position to share an experience. I also have no idea what has happened in this thread since I have begun typing "My response: Volume 1"... I really hope I helped, am not overstepping my bounds, and am still kind-of on topic.

Edited by CachinStrattons

I don't know why everyone is attacking this Caine guy. He's just trying to help out. Is that how you treat new members on the forums?

:rolleyes:

Thats NOT what I originaly posted. Whay do you guys try to make me look bad?

What new game is this? :blink:

Pretending to be a certain sock puppet, who was pretending not to be a sock puppet? It's called foolishness. :rolleyes: