Space caches

PirateKel

how are you supposed to find the cache on the space station? or in the ocean?

Step 1: Load both caches into your GPSr.

Step 2: Change your physical location so you are within close proximity to the cache in question.

Step 2a: (This will likely require special equipment and/or skills)

Step 3: Power up your GPSr.

Step 4: Hit the "Go To" button, or its equivalent.

Step 5: Select "Geocache"

Step 6: Select the closest geocache.

Step 7: Follow the arrow till the proximity counter reaches close to zero.

Step 8: Begin your hunt.

Step 9: If, after a while, you fail, check out the hint and past logs for clues.

Good luck!

Post script: While you are there, could you sign my name in the logbook? :unsure:

Step 2: Change your physical location so you are within close proximity to the cache in question.

Step 9: If, after a while, you fail, check out the hint and past logs for clues.

Good luck!

Post script: While you are there, could you sign my name in the logbook? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Thanks!!! - I was wondering how this all worked.....

Space Station...Pay the Russians a lot of money to take you to the ISS. (I believe the going rate is $20 million)

Ocean...Pay a lot of money to a company with the equipment to take you there.

They ARE rated a 5-star difficulty. smile.gif

I get the sense that you are actually asking this question with genuine intent, so I'll try to give you a straight answer.

The short answer is that either cache is *theoretically* possible for people of means (serious means in one case). But in neither case would you be likely to use GPS technology to find them.

The ISS Cache is essentially just a publicity stunt between the CO, who by all accounts is an interesting and affable guy, and Groundspeak. I don't mean 'stunt' in a pejorative sense, I just can't think of a better way to describe it. I think it's neat, but I have a hard time believing that GPS receivers could possibly work aboard the ISS. The ISS is in low earth orbit and circles the Earth rapidly; the GPS satellites are in geostationary orbit relative to the Earth and all of their navigational programming is earth-related. The coordinates of the ISS cache are irrelevant and there is no way that you could use GPS technology to locate a cache there. As far as how you are supposed to find it, there are expensive space tours that can be arranged through the Russian government which at least at one point cost something like $20 million. The list of guidelines that this cache breaks is as long as my arm (there's no container, no logbook, not open to the public, GPSr's don't work, etc. etc. etc.), but my advice to folks is not to get too caught up in that. It's a fun publicity stunt, a rare exception granted to something that's not really a geocache.

The Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents cache is similar, and yet different. Same CO, same non-cache cache. It's basically a travel bug tag - not a container. In this case I believe it was less of a publicity stunt / exception, because it was placed almost 10 years ago and people were doing lots of different things back then when we were all trying to figure out what geocaching was. Listing something without a container or a logbook in a place where your GPSr wouldn't work wasn't entirely unheard of back in the day. In this case the TB tag was originally attached to a plastic toy, but I have my doubts as to whether or not a plastic toy can withstand 10 years of pressure 1.5 miles below the surface of the ocean. I have a hunch it's just a TB tag now. As far as accessibility, you *can* take deep ocean tours of this area. There is an expedition company that will take folks down at about $25K per. A lot cheaper than $20M, but still pricey. You wouldn't be able to pick up satellite signals from down there, but depending on how well they recorded their positions when they dropped the TB tag down there maybe they could get you close to where it was. I'd work out with them ahead of time what I was trying to accomplish and hope that they had good records of their 2002 expedition when the item was placed and go from there. My gut tells me it would still be really, really hard to find / retrieve it - but you never know.

Unlike the ISS Cache, I don't think RHVC would be listed today, even if it was submitted by a celebrity geocacher. But it's happily grandfathered in as an interesting listing.

the GPS satellites are in geostationary orbit relative to the Earth

No, they aren't.

You're right, I got that wrong. They're in Medium Earth Orbit.

I think the ultimate conclusion is still true though - GPS receivers are pointless w.r.t. navigating to the ISS.

Well, most GPSr have a maximum speed of about 400mph. If you go faster than that the positional accuracy goes all to heck. The ISS's speed is over 27,000mph (according to Wikipedia). So ya, your GPS will not work up there, even if you could get a signal. And you would need live updating coordinates in your GPS (which are not provided by the CO.).

....Well, most GPSr have a maximum speed of about 400mph. If you go faster than that the positional accuracy goes all to heck. The ISS's speed is over 27,000mph (according to Wikipedia). So ya, your GPS will not work up there, even if you could get a signal. And you would need live updating coordinates in your GPS (which are not provided by the CO.).

Thats ok the sats are moving along at 8700mph in a much higher orbit so the differnece isn't as great as you might think. :blink:

the GPS satellites are in geostationary orbit relative to the Earth

No, they aren't.

You're right, I got that wrong. They're in Medium Earth Orbit.

I think the ultimate conclusion is still true though - GPS receivers are pointless w.r.t. navigating to the ISS.

Well, most GPSr have a maximum speed of about 400mph. If you go faster than that the positional accuracy goes all to heck. The ISS's speed is over 27,000mph (according to Wikipedia). So ya, your GPS will not work up there, even if you could get a signal. And you would need live updating coordinates in your GPS (which are not provided by the CO.).

The max speed that I had my 60csx was at 518 mph, after that it stopped tracking.