2 way radio

I have not used them for a while but in the North West we used to use walkie talkies on channel 3-33 and it was quite useful at times if a bunch of us were travelling around. The only snag was the limited range.

Same here. They occassionally get brought out for events - but not into group caching so couldn't comment on their usefulness there.

And 3:33 here too.

Does anyone use 2 way radio when geocaching?, is there a dedicated channel?, I'm looking to buy one so was just wondering what's a good one.

I've got a couple. I have set one channel to 3-33, but never actually used them for caching. When I'm with a group we tend not to split up, and so few people use them that it's not really worth carting them round just in case you hear someone else.

There is also a significant problem with inter-operation between the cheapest ones and the more expensive ones. The system allows for a system of sub-audible tones which are used to cut down on the amount of unwanted traffic. The 3-33 means frequency 3, tone 33. Systems that use the tones transmit the configured tone when they send, and only "turn on" for received signals that contain the tone. Cheap systems often don't have this capability, e.g. they can select a channel but not a tone.

What it means is that if A does have the tone system, and B doesn't, then B will be able to hear A, but A won't be able to hear B.

The systems with a tone can usually be configured not to use the tones, but in this case the cachig standard seems to be to use them, i.e. tone 33. Some systems may also be configurable to send the tone but ignore it on receive, thus working with both systems, but then you lose the advantage of cutting out the unwanted traffic.

Sorry this is so complicated, there's no easy way of describing it, but it's best to be aware before you buy.

Rgds, Andy

Very handy when your other half wanders off too far ahead and you need to call him back! :rolleyes:

Get yourself some rechargeable batteries for them at the same time - they're not as battery hungry as a gps, but you will get though quite a few if you use them a lot.

you not just got a lead

We have a couple that we've had for a few years....went and dug them out of the closet when we started Geocaching. Handy for us because Mrs. Chief doesn't mind coming along for the road trip but doesn't care to get down and hunt, so if the kids and I have to stumble off into the woods after a cache we can keep on touch with the mother ship ...

i use them, often i leave mine scanning all the channels or if im out with minitext we will use them so i can get on with finding the cache whilst she catches up lol.

i wished i did have one with me the other day when i got surrounded near a cache by a load of farmers in 4x4's as they were using them and i could at least had a heads up they were heading my way ;)