Board Game Cache?

Ziggy Crew

I have an idea for a cache that I want to see what people think and comment on to see if its worth putting together. Without giving to much detail out. I will try keep this simple.

The cache that requires the play of a board game that must be played by 3 to 4 players.

The winner will get the final coords of the cache.

The remaining 2 players will have to find a new 3rd player to play the game again. And again, the winner only gets to find the final.

Once you have played and won, you are no longer eligable to play any other game as a fill in.

You must be a registered geocacher in order to play.

You can play as many times as it takes until you win a game.

Let me know what you think? I look forward to reading all comments.

Ziggy Crew

I don't think you should create a cache that REQUIRES the involvement of anyone other than the geocacher who wants to find the cache.

I have seen a board game puzzle cache (using Scrabble).

I LOVE the idea of a board game cache. That could be really fun. But please don't create a cache that requires me to get others involved in order for me to find the cache.

I know it's not the same, but the situation you describe ALMOST sounds like a Pyramid Scheme.

I don't think that will work out. A cache should be solvable and findable by an individual cacher and not depend on the actions of others or the finding of others. At least that is my understanding.

I don't believe this is true. There are many popular multi caches that require you to find someone on the other side of the country (or the world) to look for coordinates in a cache there to send to you in order find the final. I suppose that technically you could fly to the other city and find the cache yourself but I don't think it was a requirement in order to list the cache. There are also some high terrain (or high difficulty) caches that would be impossible to get with out some cooperative effort.

The main issue with the cache would be how the coordinates are given to winner of the game and how the game is played. There are guidelines restricting downloading of executables from the internet or using website that requires users to create an account or provide personal information. Sounds like an interesting idea though and if guideline issues can be worked out with the local reviewer, it might be doable.

Take a look at this one The Knowledge Tree. It requires you to ask two people who know the coordinates ... one for north & one for west. Each person is only allowed to give out each piece of information twice. It's different from what you describe, but similar enough to make me think of it.

I love puzzle caches and have seen them related to games like scrabble, monopoly, boggle and cribbage, etc. You might like to take a look at my Geocaching Puzzle of the Day blog for inspiration in puzzle making. Puzzle on! :)

I think that is a great idea. Is it a puzzle cache that will be listed on the website? The only bad thing for a lot will be the cache maybe in a far location than most but if I was to travel to that state. I would be sure to try and play cause that would be a great cache and a good one to drop a favorite point. Good luck with your game idea.

I am not sure how you plan for the winner to receive the coordinates. I would run it by a reviewer in light of guidelines that state "a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an email to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be."

If I were playing the game with three or four friends, I would expect the winner would bring the rest of us along with him or her when the cache is found.

I don't think that will work out. A cache should be solvable and findable by an individual cacher and not depend on the actions of others or the finding of others. At least that is my understanding.

Ok? What about the cache thats on the International Space Station, or the cache at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. or the 5, 5's that require specialized equipment to get to it?

I don't think you should create a cache that REQUIRES the involvement of anyone other than the geocacher who wants to find the cache.

I have seen a board game puzzle cache (using Scrabble).

I LOVE the idea of a board game cache. That could be really fun. But please don't create a cache that requires me to get others involved in order for me to find the cache.

I know it's not the same, but the situation you describe ALMOST sounds like a Pyramid Scheme.

Do you go to Events? And have you cached with others before? So you do not have to find this cache if it does not interest you. Sorry you feel that way. I have many caches around me that do not interest me, and have not tried for as well. It's your choice.

I think that is a great idea. Is it a puzzle cache that will be listed on the website? The only bad thing for a lot will be the cache maybe in a far location than most but if I was to travel to that state. I would be sure to try and play cause that would be a great cache and a good one to drop a favorite point. Good luck with your game idea.

Thank you. Yes it will be as long as I work out all the details.

I am not sure how you plan for the winner to receive the coordinates. I would run it by a reviewer in light of guidelines that state "a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an email to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be."

If I were playing the game with three or four friends, I would expect the winner would bring the rest of us along with him or her when the cache is found.

This cache will reqire you to acually sit down at a table and physically play a board game provided by me. The winner will be the only cacher that can sign the log book on the final. How the coords will be distruted is still to be determined. I may even make the game the final. Either way, to be able to log the find is win the game.

Edited by Ziggy Crew

Do you go to Events? And have you cached with others before? So you do not have to find this cache if it does not interest you. Sorry you feel that way. I have many caches around me that do not interest me, and have not tried for as well. It's your choice.

You asked for feedback on the cache idea, which is what I gave.

You asked for feedback on the cache idea, which is what I gave.

Your right, Thank You for you opinion.

This cache will reqire you to acually sit down at a table and physically play a board game provided by me. The winner will be the only cacher that can sign the log book on the final. How the coords will be distruted is still to be determined. I may even make the game the final. Either way, to be able to log the find is win the game.

Then that might run into other problems, based on cachers who have tried to limit "finds" to those who have solved a puzzle or completed every step of a multi. Again, check with a reviewer.

Edited by mulvaney

FWIW, there is no requirement that a cache be findable by an individual cacher. An obvious example would be a rock-climbing cache, which at the very least requires a belayer. Other caches with genuine 5-star terrain will be impossible to find solo too (or at least, impossible to find safely without at least one other person). And there are on-site puzzles that require multiple people to cooperate as well.

Also, I enjoy games myself, and I've enjoyed puzzle caches based on board and card games. However...

Be sure to read and understand Groundspeak's Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines. Your idea (as I understand it) will have difficulty meeting those guidelines and being published.

This cache will reqire you to acually sit down at a table and physically play a board game provided by me.[...] How the coords will be distruted is still to be determined.
According to the guidelines, puzzle caches that require sending an email to the cache owner to obtain coordinates are unlikely to be published. A cache that requires sitting down with the cache owner to play a board game to obtain coordinates is even less likely to be published.

The winner will be the only cacher that can sign the log book on the final.
How do you expect to prevent others from signing the log? Once they sign the log, they are allowed to log the find online. According to the guidelines, cache owners cannot enforce additional logging requirements beyond signing the physical log.

I may even make the game the final.
Then it would be difficult to comply with the requirement that "the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions".

Either way, to be able to log the find is win the game.
It's an interesting idea, but I just don't see it working the way I understand your description so far.

I love board games. I love Geocaching. But I don't think playing a board game against others at a specific time and date with only one person getting the coords is a good idea. I don't see how this would get published. And I see no way to guarantee that only the winner gets the coords to log the cache.

Ok? What about the cache thats on the International Space Station, or the cache at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. or the 5, 5's that require specialized equipment to get to it?

The first of those was published with special permission from Groundspeak, who have a sense of humour (after all, it's not possible to use a GPS to find the ISS).

This cache will reqire you to acually sit down at a table and physically play a board game provided by me.

Then it isn't going to happen. The cache will not be accepted by the reviewers if it requires anyone to meet anyone else in person. You could ask Groundspeak for an exception; I'm guessing that you wouldn't get it.

If this were published, I guess that the next thing someone will come up would be "To get the coordinates, you must come and parade outside my house in a swimsuit; only the sexiest contestant will get the coordinates. The others have to come back and parade again."