Camoflauge Techniques

Gianster98

I do like texture paint, but that stuff can get expensive as all get out.

I hide a lot of caches in the desert, and I've also taken to grabbing some sand and rocks local to the hide, and gluing those to cache containers for effective camo. A little time consuming, but it works well.

Something I learned decades ago, as an initiate in the US Army, is that the human eye is drawn to straight lines, which don't occur often in nature. If you take an ammo can, with straight edges, and squirt spray paint on it, the edges are still straight, regardless of what color combination you use.

With this in mind, I worked toward developing a means of utilizing physical camo which would stand the test of time, testing various glues and mediums. I found that Liquid Nails Roof Repair, which comes in a caulk tube at Wally World, can survive even the harshest environments without deteriorating. It handles extreme temperature ranges without giving up any of it's cohesion or flexibility. I smear this all over the container, avoiding seams, latches and hinge points, then press the medium directly to the glue.

One medium I like is a mix of Spanish moss, ground moss and brown excellsior, a pine needle imitation sold at most craft stores. The end result looks like this:

274b4784-62c8-4146-ab40-504cfdf11979.jpg

Another medium I like is camo burlap. I cut it into strips and apply it with an overlap pattern, like roof shingles. Those look like this:

ab5bc5e3-301b-491a-8044-6c024114debc.jpg

I start with a light sand to the smooth spots. I have 4 colors sand, light forest green, dark forest green, and a brown. I chose which I want to be the base (usually a darker color and give it one full coat. Then I had streaks and spots of the other colors to try to soften the hard corners. It seems to work pretty well, but my camo is mostly to keep muggles from spotting the cache.

We glued (Outdoor GOOP) lots of camouflage on the bottom of a 12-inch plastic bowl:

9731e482-ac93-4542-bc6b-f0985b06b62d.jpg

It really does blend in well with its surroundings:

221c3739-0a85-4561-a09c-ff4fc4b9719c.jpg

The snake on top makes it easier to find and also gives kids a little scare, which they seem to enjoy. The cache container is placed beneath the bowl. In the container are 100 small, rubber snakes that you must reach through to grab the log book.

Something I learned decades ago, as an initiate in the US Army, is that the human eye is drawn to straight lines, which don't occur often in nature. If you take an ammo can, with straight edges, and squirt spray paint on it, the edges are still straight, regardless of what color combination you use.

With this in mind, I worked toward developing a means of utilizing physical camo which would stand the test of time, testing various glues and mediums. I found that Liquid Nails Roof Repair, which comes in a caulk tube at Wally World, can survive even the harshest environments without deteriorating. It handles extreme temperature ranges without giving up any of it's cohesion or flexibility. I smear this all over the container, avoiding seams, latches and hinge points, then press the medium directly to the glue.

One medium I like is a mix of Spanish moss, ground moss and brown excellsior, a pine needle imitation sold at most craft stores. The end result looks like this:

274b4784-62c8-4146-ab40-504cfdf11979.jpg

Another medium I like is camo burlap. I cut it into strips and apply it with an overlap pattern, like roof shingles. Those look like this:

ab5bc5e3-301b-491a-8044-6c024114debc.jpg

Now that's some cool camo. I've used camo tape but never this technique. Thanks for the tip on straight lines!

We glued (Outdoor GOOP) lots of camouflage on the bottom of a 12-inch plastic bowl:

9731e482-ac93-4542-bc6b-f0985b06b62d.jpg

It really does blend in well with its surroundings:

221c3739-0a85-4561-a09c-ff4fc4b9719c.jpg

The snake on top makes it easier to find and also gives kids a little scare, which they seem to enjoy. The cache container is placed beneath the bowl. In the container are 100 small, rubber snakes that you must reach through to grab the log book.

That's a unique idea and it really does blend in. I honestly only camo to keep it safe from muggles unless I'm making an evil cache :surprise: )Congrats on the cool cache

The snake on top makes it easier to find

I'm confused. Why go to the trouble of making such an incredible camo job, and then stick a fluorescent green snake on top to make it easier to find?

It is very nicely done, and I would greatly enjoy finding one like that, with or without the snake.

I'm confused. Why go to the trouble of making such an incredible camo job, and then stick a fluorescent green snake on top to make it easier to find?

Even with the snake, it's easy to overlook this one. The camo has helped keep it safe from muggles for 18 months. The snake makes it more fun for youngsters to find. This cache was entered into a kid-friendly category of a Cache-and-Release event.

Even with the snake, it's easy to overlook this one. The camo has helped keep it safe from muggles for 18 months. The snake makes it more fun for youngsters to find. This cache was entered into a kid-friendly category of a Cache-and-Release event.

I am a wimp and freely admit it when it comes to snakes, no way could I touch it even though it is fake lol couldn't put my hand inside the tin if there were more inside..........told you I was a wimp :-0 I cannot look at them on TV/zoo so I am totally totally a WIMP!! ;-)

I am a wimp and freely admit it when it comes to snakes, no way could I touch it even though it is fake lol couldn't put my hand inside the tin if there were more inside..........told you I was a wimp :-0 I cannot look at them on TV/zoo so I am totally totally a WIMP!! ;-)

I'd probably be apologizing to the CO for shotting his cache before figuring out the snake was fake :laughing:

I'd probably be apologizing to the CO for sho[o]ting his cache before figuring out the snake was fake :laughing:

I can just see the log entry now:

Cache requires maintenance. There is now a hole in the container the size of a .45 cal bullet. Contents and the log are still in good shape though there is some slight gunpowder staining. The good news is...the snake will not be bothering other cachers anymore.

Signed log, took nothing, left hole.

TFTC!