Help me plant some Weird California Caches

elrojo14

I found a good book called Weird California while shopping in Morro Bay over the summer.

http://www.weirdus.com/states/california/index.php

As soon as I saw it I realized I wanted to make a Geocaching Series out of this book. I have received permission from my reviewer to make a series of caches off of it.

My goal is to see how many of these atractions on each page there might already be a cache by. So far I have only looked up a few that I know I found caches by, just to illustrate what I wanted to do for my reviewer.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=fc6ed788-a182-4f8b-96ea-643cf7e0c7b9

I need your help. First, if you have the book, take a look and see how many of these pages have a Geocache planted near them or in the same theme (you can buy the book or check your local library system if you don't want to spend the money). I will also be making a list over the next week or so as I have time.

Next for the areas that don't have caches (but are accessible, some attractions might not be appropriate to have a cache at the location), I would like to see if I could find some local cachers that would be willing to go plant a cache at the location.

This cache is going to be pretty epic like the Delorme or 58 Counties caches, but I think it will be a lot of fun. Once we get most of the pages filled up where we can, the I will publish the final and people can start finding it.

So in order to log the new cache that I can't publish until we nearly get the list done, you will have to find all of the caches on my Weird California bookmark list!

Yes I know that this is going to be a big project and that it might take people a long time to find it. I currently have a 40 stage multi out there so I am no stranger to hard caches that take people a while to find. I kind of enjoy those caches more than the usual light pole skirt or bush cache.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to share. You could also help me by sharing this information with your local cache groups and seeing if more people want to participate. Thank you all and I look forward to making this an awesome project.

Here is my plan. Most of the pages I have been looking for have a cache in the area or I can make something work. This will be a list of places I need caches at or it would be nicer if I had a cache in the area with the theme.

Page 17 La Llorona - The Phanom Banshee (O'Neill Regional Park in Orange County). There is a La Llorona cache down in San Juan Capistrano, but the book specifically talks about Trabuco Creek near O'Neill Regional Park. If I could get someone to plant a cache there with some La Llorona history (having her name in the cache title would be awesome), that would work out much better.

Page 18 Screaming Tree - Lakeside. I found the tree using Google Maps and street view. Now I just need someone to plant a cache there.

Page 19 Deadly Nuclear Waste Under Rec Center? (Barrington Rec Center, Brentwood, CA). Anywhere in the area and having to do with the nuclear waste seems cool to me.

Page 20 & 21 What the Sewer Sees (Hyperion Treatment Plant, Playa del Rey). There is suprisingly a lot of information about this plant online and quite a bit of history. There is a cache nearby, but I would love to see someone make a cache with this theme. Heck, since they offer tours, you might even be able to get the plant's permission to have the cache in the front office. Someone please have fun with this one!

Page 21 A Pizzeria That Really Delivers! (Caioti Pizza, Sudio City). Not any caches nearby, help me out with this one and make it delivery themed and talk about the legend.

Page 24 & 25 Peg-leg Smith's Lost Gold (Borrego Springs, CA). Again, how can this awesome local spot not have a cache? Someone take care of this!

Edited by elrojo14

Page 34 & 35 Buried Egyptian Temple, Guadalupe, CA. It would be cool to get a cache at the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center or even the hardware store that is the unofficial museum. I might not mind making one out at the Dunes too if we can get access nearby.

Page 37-39 Singing Sands and Booming Dunes. I found a cache at the Kelso Dunes and Eureka Dunes. Now we need one at the Panamint Dunes.

Page 46-48. There are rumored Munchkin Houses next to Mt. Soledad and in Long Beach. See if you guys can dig anything up on this.

Here is my plan. Most of the pages I have been looking for have a cache in the area or I can make something work. This will be a list of places I need caches at or it would be nicer if I had a cache in the area with the theme.

Page 17 La Llorona - The Phanom Banshee (O'Neill Regional Park in Orange County). There is a La Llorona cache down in San Juan Capistrano, but the book specifically talks about Trabuco Creek near O'Neill Regional Park. If I could get someone to plant a cache there with some La Llorona history (having her name in the cache title would be awesome), that would work out much better.

Page 18 Screaming Tree - Lakeside. I found the tree using Google Maps and street view. Now I just need someone to plant a cache there.

Page 19 Deadly Nuclear Waste Under Rec Center? (Barrington Rec Center, Brentwood, CA). Anywhere in the area and having to do with the nuclear waste seems cool to me.

Page 20 & 21 What the Sewer Sees (Hyperion Treatment Plant, Playa del Rey). There is suprisingly a lot of information about this plant online and quite a bit of history. There is a cache nearby, but I would love to see someone make a cache with this theme. Heck, since they offer tours, you might even be able to get the plant's permission to have the cache in the front office. Someone please have fun with this one!

Page 21 A Pizzeria That Really Delivers! (Caioti Pizza, Sudio City). Not any caches nearby, help me out with this one and make it delivery themed and talk about the legend.

Page 24 & 25 Peg-leg Smith's Lost Gold (Borrego Springs, CA). Again, how can this awesome local spot not have a cache? Someone take care of this!

I can do the Lakeside hide and contact Fossil lady for Borrego Springs since she lives there. So contact me if you want me to place a hide.

I can do the Lakeside hide and contact Fossil lady for Borrego Springs since she lives there. So contact me if you want me to place a hide.

Thank you so much! I just sent you a message and that would be great.

I spent quite a few hours working on this today. The bookmark list of existing caches has grown to 37. I still have quite a few pages to go. I received some help from birdcachers05 today too so I spent most of the time looking up caches he sent me that are on the list. I have all of his list in the bookmark.

Please spread the word about this and thank you so much to everyone for helping.

Edited by elrojo14

I'm game to add caches to your wierd California list. I live in San Diego and can cover a wide area down this way. Send me your list and I can also help determine which already have caches around them. I'll look for the book and help out there as well.

Steve (Ritz Crackers)

So far this is my list. Just look at the areas above to see where I need caches. If you want to wait and see if I have more, I am slowly working on it as I find the time. It is pretty labor intensive to research these areas. It is doable, it just takes a while.

TeamFatman is taking care of the Lakeside cache. So that leaves Mt. Soledad midget community if you want to look into seeing if there is a spot around there worthy of a cache. Think long term on these caches. We want them nearly muggle proof.

AND THANK YOU! You are all being so helpful on this major project. I am seriously excited to go out and see these places and get these caches. It might take me ten years to get to them all, but I think we will have our cache ready to go before the end of 2011 for sure.

Edited by elrojo14

I just stumbled across this, and I love the idea! I'll have to try to find that book. In the meantime, however...

Page 37-39 Singing Sands and Booming Dunes. I found a cache at the Kelso Dunes and Eureka Dunes. Now we need one at the Panamint Dunes.

This will be nearly impossible, except as an Earthcache. These dunes are now part of Death Valley National Park, so physical caches won't work. Not sure how close you can actually get for a physical cache, but it'll be a ways. Currently there is a physical cache in what's left of the town of Panamint Springs, and one that might predate the expansion of the park at the junction of CA-190 and Panamint Valley Road, which comes north from Trona. I suspect that those two are it.