Creating PQ Along A Route In Route Order

tomnina

We are trying to create a PQ for a route and print the map showing the caches as well as printing the caches for the route in the PQ IN ORDER . In other words we would like to go from point A to B with a map showing the caches along the route and a list of caches, in order, beginning at point A and going to point B. Is this possible? You can respond to tomsingleton@thefinalimage.net if it is helpful.

GSAK will do it.

Load the PQ. Filter it down to the caches you want. If none of the standard type filters will do it then you may have to use the User Flag and set that filter. Find the cache at the start of the route, right click and set it as the center. They will now be in order.

Go to print and select Condensed HTML and you got it. Depending on how many caches you have this could be a quite large print job.

That being said don’t you have some sort of device that could hold the info. If you have an iPhone or Android the GS program will allow you to load PQ’s and view them as needed and there are many other devices that will do that.

As to a map. If you have a mapping program such as Mapsource or MS Streets and Trips it will load a GPX file and you can print it off in sections that cover your route. If not you can download Garmin’s Basecamp for free and that should do it.

GSAK will do it.

Load the PQ. Filter it down to the caches you want. If none of the standard type filters will do it then you may have to use the User Flag and set that filter. Find the cache at the start of the route, right click and set it as the center. They will now be in order.

Distance order, not route order. If the route is a loop this does not work.

I have a utility somewhere to do this but I find that in practice I never use it. If you want to plan a day's caching trip along a route, just get the caches and then make yourself a route between the ones you will do in your GPS.

I think you will find that it doesn't matter as much as you might think. Your GPS will always know what cache is nearest to where you are at. So all you really need to do is progress along the route moving to the next nearest cache. Not perfect and not optimal and possibly some occasional minor backtracking but in most cases - close enough. Keep your printouts in GC order and they are easy enough to find.

I like to use Tyre. http://www.tyre.tk/

You can then send the route to your GPS as a POI file. Set up a specific tone for your caches at your selected distance from the cache, This may require some work but I like the result better. I can then delete to old POI file and load in my next one. When on plain old daily drives I load in the local caches I have not found. On many occasions I have run into a quick grab I can get with the phone. Also, the same file I send to the handheld Garmin GPS can goto my phone and TomTom. Spend a little time and see how you can make it work and I'm sure you will be happy with it.