has waypoint

KBLAST

I've never seen this before, but I went to edit an image I was adding to my cache page, and it not only has a place to edit the description and name, it has an option to check, "Has Waypoint". You can then enter a waypoint after you check this box. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere that anyone else can see it - it looks like it only shows up when I choose to edit my picture (which others, of course, can't do). What is the purpose of this option?

AFAIK it only shows up when you use it on a picture that was uploaded to a log and then use the "view log" link, such as here (totally dummy entry): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3300088c-4d22-456a-8be9-f508cb107fdb

Since the "edit image" dialog is the same for all pictures, independent of where they've been uploaded, you can add a waypoint to any picture even if nobody can ever see it. It's just one of those obscure features that probably were once meant to be turned into something useful, but then were never touched again. Some time ago I submitted an idea into the feedback forum to extract coordinates from geotagged pictures and use this "waypoint" field for those coordinates. That idea kinda died down too I think.