Hard Find Vs Easy Find

BBDawg

I am in the process of creating two new caches to round out a 3 stop multi-cache and was wondering what most Cacher's like better for a "small" cache, an easy direct find or a clever one in plain view but hard to recognize. (I am talking "small" caches, larger than micros)

My personal experience, so far, is that I like the more challenging versus the more simple placements. I am not personally in this sport for the numbers, rather I am interested more in the challenge of unique locations and/or cleverly disguised containers in direct view.

So tell us, what cache hiding style (for what Geocaching.com calls a "small" container) do You prefer to chase?

As long as the rating is accurate I don't prefer one over the other. I hate finding caches rated a 1.5 that are really a 3.

Excellent point! And as these three caches are my first 3, I will have difficulty in defining the rating. Until I get some feedback I am not really going to know how difficult they really are. (I didn't have a problem finding the first cache I hid :D )

Is it better to over rate the difficulty in the beginning and adjust down? I also hate looking for a 1 rated cache when it should be higher.

My caches (so far) are designed to be perfectly visible and on good hard surfaces, but I believe they will be DNF for many. (only the future will tell). We have a local guy, Jarrod88 who is really hot and is a FTF on many we have found. I am anxious for him to get on mine and report what he found. (He may make it look so easy, I'll feel like a fool)

Edited by BBDawg

Personally, I prefer an ammo can in the woods under a big pile of sticks that can be spotted from 40 feet away. :P

If I'm doing urban caching, I do appreciate a creative twist, but if I don't find it within 2 or 3 minutes I usually don't like to hang around.

I predict that while newer cachers might have trouble with your cache, experienced cachers will find it immediately.

Don't be disappointed. Even if you've not seen a specific hide before, experience gives you the ability to pick out something different right away.

They both have their places, in my opinion, but after six years of caching, when I look back at my more memorable experiences, they are invariably the ones that brought me to unique places. That may be that good unique hides rarely remain unique for long. Or it may just be that, while I enjoy a challenge, those are not the things that make a truely lasting impression on me.

It depends. If I have done a hike of several kilometers and climbed to the top of a mountain I want your cache to be a very easy find. If I am in an urban area I enjoy the "in plain sight" caches where a muggle would never spot the cache but a cacher can see it right away. I despise long hunts.

My favoritest caches are ones that complement exploring new places- good hike, neat square, what have you. I like bigger caches if only because I enjoy moving TBs along so that aids doing so and because while the hide might be interesting the odds of eventually finding it are pretty high.

I don't like devilishly hard hides and usually avoid them, hence I won't look for nanos much or anything like that, but I'm not a fan of yet another lamppost either. Quality is important overall though.