Earthcache that is least ordinary.

Coldgears

I was there many years ago. We made a special detour when driving down to GeoWoodstock III to visit Centralia. It truly is a cool place. I think we were there before that EarthCache was published though.

Etermal Flame Falls is one of my favourite EarthCaches I have visited. It is located in Western New York. It's an eternal flame set in behind a waterfall.

Some of my other favourites are already well known areas such as Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland, Petrified Forest National Park in Ariozona, Bryce Canyon NP, Arches NP, etc. But these are already National Parks or national monuments. I love it when EarthCachings takes me to some hidden away place that few people know about.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a7c93d4e-d435-4b86-8799-fa7301365d7f

This cache is literally just a city which has been on fire for the last 40 years. It's like 30 miles from me, weirdest thing ever. Any other weird ones?

That is not really uncommon in Coal mining areas. We have one about 30 miles from us that has been burning for 60-70 years.

My partner and I are hoping to visit Centralia this summer. It's been on my to-do list for about ten years. The Earthcache is a nice bonus! :)

And I thought 30 miles was a far drive to get to centralia!

Really? I consider a cache within 30 miles to be local! We're heading down that way for Geowoodstock, if things work out.