Disabled Caches due to QLD Flooding

90%Angel

Perhaps caching is the last thing on their minds. I suggest deleting this thread!

If you read my post carefully, I suggested WHEN (ie:WHENEVER) they get back on line..that could be a month or 6 months from now...the choice is up to them naturally. BTW, I have FAMILY there and know very well what they are dealing with~

Well, sorry, but I dont think its necessarily in bad taste. Yes, its been pretty bad, lives have been lost, but thats no reason for EVERYONE to stop their normal lives.

I could post up pics of Theodore, as I have spent the last week helping the clean up there. 7 12 hr shifts. And yet, one day whilst stopped at Biloela for smoko on the way out there, we happened to stop at a park that I know had a cache in it. I went to check on it.

I have about 5 or 6 caches disabled due to flooding around the Rocky/Gladstone/CQ area. I really cant see the issue with listing them, Bundys commute 3 and 4, one on Yeppen flood plain, one down the end of East St Rocky, U.U.R.R., just off the top of my head.

Life goes on, in spite of the disaster we are going through at the moment. I havent worked since Xmas eve. Life still goes on. I can tell you for a fact, life goes on for the people of Theodore. I witnessed some of the lucky few, unaffected directly by the waters rising in the town, but still affected by the evacuation and loss of power for 7-10 days, out mowing their lawns while the recovery efforts continued.

Life goes on, the sooner you can get back to normal, the better it will be for you.

Cheers

Bundy

I agree with Bundyrumandcoke. Life does go on. I think I am entitled to an opinion to this - as I do live in Brisbane.

As soon as the floods hit, I disabled my vulnerable caches. I went out the other day after the waters receeded and sure enough 2 were missing. They have been since replaced and all (except one) has been re-enabled.

Sure enough, some folk in Brisbane have copped the brunt of this flood. These people, and those assisting them have higher priorities than geocaching. There will be those caches that have gone missing that will get DNFs galore. Cachers looking for these will just have to be understanding. However, if cache owners ARE able to take care of their caches, checking them out or disabling them would be very much appreciated.

I have been caching a few times since the floods hit. I haven't gone anywhere near the flood affected areas. Nor will I until they are cleaned up and the workers have done their thing.

The story behind this cache is an interesting little read about it surviving the floods.

Edited by Fangsoki

I agree with Bundyrumandcoke. Life does go on. I think I am entitled to an opinion to this - as I do live in Brisbane.

As soon as the floods hit, I disabled my vulnerable caches. I went out the other day after the waters receeded and sure enough 2 were missing. They have been since replaced and all (except one) has been re-enabled.

Sure enough, some folk in Brisbane have copped the brunt of this flood. These people, and those assisting them have higher priorities than geocaching. There will be those caches that have gone missing that will get DNFs galore. Cachers looking for these will just have to be understanding. However, if cache owners ARE able to take care of their caches, checking them out or disabling them would be very much appreciated.

I have been caching a few times since the floods hit. I haven't gone anywhere near the flood affected areas. Nor will I until they are cleaned up and the workers have done their thing.

The story behind this cache is an interesting little read about it surviving the floods.

First I would like to say 'Thanks',...clearly you understand what the original thread was meant to convey...The flooding throughout Queensland was/is devestating to say the least~ I mearly opened this thread to offer an "IF/WHEN" Cache owners do get their lives back togeather and are READY to check on their Caches, that they could post any they know that are gone..I did NOT imply that this was by anymeans a Priority, which would be ludicrous to think anyone would deem it so. You're 'Story' is really quite amazing that a cache could survive such a journey, thanks for sharing it~

Well, I think I am up to nearly a dozen of my caches that are either disabled due to being soaked, or gone missing completely, washed away witht the floods. And I have another 3 to check next time I am at home, with logs stating the contents are wet.

I have only six caches. One of them got taken by the floods - all the rest survived. I just went and checked on one that is a 6km return hike. It went under the water - but the cache was fine in its home (God bless ammo boxes). Good on you for checking Bundyrumandcoke

Now this is a particularly interesting thread because I'd been planning on running a drive to get containers, swaps, made travel bugs and geocoins sent to Brisbane in order to get Geocahcing up and running in Qld again. (of course, this would have been after everything else has settled down.)

Do you all think this is needed? Are people just going to pick up, empty their tins/containers of water, replace the logbook, and keep on geocaching? What about waterways-based series of caches, such as the Oxley series that runs along Oxley Creek - which down past Archerfield?