Is it ethical to go out to find and log an archived virtuals.

Coldgears

The thing about virtual is that most of the time after they are archived they can still be found. While this is not true if the object that the archived virtual was using as the point of interest went missing or was tore down sometimes virtuals can be archived for other reasons. Sometimes it's because the a lot of people are logging false logs and the owner is not deleting them. But for the most part is seems as though most virtuals are archived because the owner either no longer wants the burden of checking them, or the owner thinks that there caches are lame. (Don't attack me for this, this is only what I have seen in my limited experience with archived caches so YMMV)

I've seen a few that I wouldn't mind actaully finding and logging. But I am not sure if this is ethical.

If folks hunt and log Virtual caches that have been long archived, it is likely to cause Groundspeak to lock those caches for good. That will prevent people from doing otherwise perfectly legitimate things like catching up on a backlog of their finds from when the listings were active, or retro-logging caches they found under a group account with a new solo username, or etc.

Please don't log archived Virtuals as finds. Visit them, enjoy them, maybe even drop a note that you are happy to have been brought to the spot. But it would be best to leave the Smileys for active listings.