An idiots guide to Earthcaching

GeoReapers

While I would love to see this particular book, it doesn't seem to exist. So, I am hoping you active earthcachers might be able to reccomend a good introductory geology book. The first Earthcache my team and I attempted asked us to look at strata at a popular falls and count the various levels and then estimate distances and I think there was a hokey-pokey required in there. Needless to say, we were confused and neither me nor my girlfriend's background is in earth sciences, so we have just avoided earthcaches altogether.

Well, I am tired of avoiding them, I want to learn not only so we can tackle these great caches, but just so we can understand a good deal more about the world we go frolicing through. So, I am hoping you can suggest a good book for us to start with to at least give us basic knowledge.

All help is totally appreciated.

Thanks

Jason & Juanita

The "Roadside Geology" series is excellent for your purposes. I have the Roadside Geology of Ohio by Mark J. Camp. The first 5 chapters are about basic, introductory geology, and the rest of the book is about specific geological features in Ohio.

Another good series is the Peterson Field Guides Geology series. I have the Eastern North America version by David C. Roberts. It's the same general idea as the Roadside Geology series. It has great illustrations but I don't think the text is as helpful.

Another book I really like, but maybe is a bit more advanced, is A Field Manual for the Amateur Geologist by Alan M. Cvancara

The "Roadside Geology" series is excellent for your purposes. I have the Roadside Geology of Ohio by Mark J. Camp. The first 5 chapters are about basic, introductory geology, and the rest of the book is about specific geological features in Ohio.

The Wisconsin edition is also exceptional.

We were in the same boat.

First look at your local parks and see if anything has been written on the geological aspects of those parks. If they are large enough and have a gift shop, you just might luck out. Googling on the geological aspects of an area may also help.

Using Google on geology for beginners will help.

If you find yourself developing a real interest in geology there are many, many books you can find. Making friends with a local geologists or University prof doesn't hurt either.

There are some free to somewhat low cost internet courses in geology. Use Google to find them.

I hope this helps.

P.S. No I am not a paid employee of Google and am not related to any nor do I have stock in Google! :P