Airport "Terminals" For Travel Bugs?

Neo_Geo

Flying is a great way for people to move about the country and the world. I think the same holds true for TBs. If GeoCachers who live or work near airports could create caches near airport passenger terminals, other GeoCachers who are catching flights could check the cache's Web page for any bugs going in their direction, swing by the cache and pick it up, and swiftly get it closer to it's destination. Perhaps GeoCaching.com could devote a special page to airport TB caches? Of course, such caches would have to be far enough away from the terminals so as not to cause undue "suspicious activity" calls to airport security! I live near "Ronald Reagan Washington National" and plan to start one there. I'll scout a location this week and perhaps activate it in a week or two.

You know, I've been thinking about this. There is a cache near the Atlanta airport, but how many people can actually LEAVE the airport to get it, or are actually on time for the check-in, etc.?

How about a locker? I don't know exactly how the airport lockers work, but it'd be neat to have the combination on the webpage, and be able to grab & go.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

There's one right near San Francisco International called "Es Effo Bug Hotel". It's right near the Westin hotel just off airport property.

As an aside, it was my daughter's first cache, and she was instantly hooked as we picked up a cute TB as well: Elgar the Moose. He spent a few days with us and is now admiring the view of the Pacific Ocean before continuing his way North...

Cheers,

Bruce.

Airport caches are tricky. You want to place them close enough to the terminal so that people have time to hit them between flights. But you also don't want them to be so close that they raise the suspicion of security.

I am the owner of four airport caches including the one in Atlanta. I wanted to place that one in a locker, but as Neo pointed out, they have been unavailable since 9/11.

I went to DCA to scout it out. As mrplug mentioned, "close enough", but too close.

My criteria:

1. away from view of the control tower

2. very accessible - don't want travellers to get their shoes

dirty or wet!

3. near the terminal

4. obviously it needs to be somewhere where not many people go

5. Safety - no crossing roads without a pedestrian crosswalk

Well, it took me about two hours and I finally found only 1 possible place.

..a 12-minute walk from the far side of the terminal. I'm gonna drop a $5.00 bill into a cache container and see if it's still there in two weeks before I list it on the site.

L8R G8Rs