Placing a cache where an old cache was?

Jagski

Happy New Year to all! My question is, is there a rule about placing a cache where (near) a cache was archived or not in service? There has been a cache that was archived where I was thinking of placing a new one, but there is also another cache close by that has been placed as temporarily unavailable...so there are 2 caches in the same area that have not been maintained for a good amount of time. I emailed the cache owners over 3 months ago to ask if they would mind if I placed caches there, but there has not been a reply. I would love to place 2 caches in this area soon. Any cacher that knows my caches knows that I maintain my caches very well. What are thoughts on this?

You can place your own cache in the spot an archived cache was.

BUT> Find out why it was archived. If it was often muggled, do you really want to place another new cache there?

If a cache isn't being maintained -and has 'Needs Maintenance' logs on it- log a 'Needs Archived' on it.

(If you don't want to be seen logging a NA, contact your local reviewer about the lack of maintenance.)

Just be aware some cachers get a bit upset if you post a NM or NA log in order to place your own cache. :rolleyes:

I unknowingly placed a cache too near the final for a mystery cache. However, the existing cache had several DNFs and maintenance requests with no activity from the cache owner. Our reviewer messaged the owner and gave them 30 days to correct their cache. After 30 days, the reviewer archived the old one and posted my new one. Maybe this would apply to your situation as well.

I actually won't be placing the new cache right where the archived one was, so I think I'm good there. There is another cache that has not been found in a long time but not archived yet. That one I think I'll keep the .1 distance and hide it really well.

:D

I actually won't be placing the new cache right where the archived one was, so I think I'm good there. There is another cache that has not been found in a long time but not archived yet. That one I think I'll keep the .1 distance and hide it really well.

:D

The temporarily disabled cache is still a published cache. Until such time as it is archived, you have to consider it a real cache when it comes to hiding your own.
You can place your own cache in the spot an archived cache was.

BUT> Find out why it was archived. If it was often muggled, do you really want to place another new cache there?

+1. Sometimes caches get archived because they owner can't maintain 'em, sometimes it's because it wasn't a good place for the cache.