Rules for replacing a wet log?

chunkymunky06

My crew and I are relatively new to the game and have come across numerous wet logs. I have replacement logs available but am not sure on replacement rules due to the "history" aspect of the log. I know I can N/M log but if I have it ready and am there wouldn't it make sense for me to just change it out? What are your thoughts?

I own several caches and when a log becomes full I remove it and keep it as a momento, therefore, I never remove a log from someone else's cache no matter how bad of shape it is in. I add a new log in a waterproof baggie and notify the owner.

Agreed,I wouldn't remove a wet log without the owner's permission and if someone did it for one of my caches I'd be a bit annoyed.

If you know it is wet ahead of time, then shoot an e-mail to the owner asking him if you'd like for you to replace it. Or if you get there and find a wet log and there is room to add a new one, go ahead, but don't take the old one unless the owner previously said it was OK.

Some people like to keep it, but if it's covered in mold and not legible, you could probably replace it.I don't think the owner really wants a ball of mush, then again, you never know. If it is in that bad of shape, it's probably the containers fault and most likely needs other maintenance.

For just a plain wet log, post a NM on the cache page and hope for it to get fixed.

Sometimes what people do is replace the log, then offer to send the old one back to the owner.

Edited by Mr. Wilson & a Mt. Goat

I haven't flat-out replaced wet logs out of respect to the CO, but I will place a new log in a zip-lock baggie and send an NM post alerting the CO to the fact that the old log is wet and that the container is failing to keep out the elements. Only 2 posts appear to have been ignored when I've done this.

I replace every wet log I find, literally dozens over the years now. I then email the CO and ask if he wants the old one snail-mailed or scanned to email. Not one CO has ever wanted the old one and all appreciated the replacement.

I know that I am always happy if a cacher fixes a problem with one of my caches, but then I've never retrieved and read a log out of any of mine. When they are full or damaged I replace them and toss the old one.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It seems this is a regional thing.

Cachers from some areas do, and others from different areas do not.

TheAlabamaRambler

I know that I am always happy if a cacher fixes a problem with one of my caches, but then I've never retrieved and read a log out of any of mine. When they are full or damaged I replace them and toss the old one.

I too am happy when some else replaces one of my logs that somehow got wet. It's sort of a courtesy thing I find, although not to everybody supports it. If I don't know the cache owner, then I usually just leave a spare dry log in a zip-baggie as a temporary fix, and let the CO know about the situation.

Depending on ease of access and the proximity of the cache to your home, there is also the option to dry out the log and return it to the cache. I've done this several times. Take the wet log and leave a temp log in the cache. Write in your online log that you swapped logs and will return the original to the cache shortly. Once back at the house, fan out the wet log and let it dry for a few days. After the log is dry, drop it back at the cache on my next trip by. It seems that most CO's completely ignore this, just like they ignored the previous half-dozen logs stating the that logbook was wet. But a few of the CO's are very appreciative of the effort. I've never had a CO get upset for doing maintenance on their cache.

... but then I've never retrieved and read a log out of any of mine. When they are full or damaged I replace them and toss the old one.

Wow! That's a shame because I've read all sorts of interesting things in the logbooks of our caches. It also seems a bit disrespectful to those who do sign your log. Personally, I'd feel "why bother?"

I've kept every logbook in every cache we've placed and was able to retrieve. I've taken great pains to dry out the few that have gotten wet.

I would never replace a logbook, only add another one. To me, it's less a courtesy to the cache owner than one to the future finders.

... but then I've never retrieved and read a log out of any of mine. When they are full or damaged I replace them and toss the old one.

Wow! That's a shame because I've read all sorts of interesting things in the logbooks of our caches. It also seems a bit disrespectful to those who do sign your log. Personally, I'd feel "why bother?"

I've kept every logbook in every cache we've placed and was able to retrieve. I've taken great pains to dry out the few that have gotten wet.

I would never replace a logbook, only add another one. To me, it's less a courtesy to the cache owner than one to the future finders.

+1

It also seems a bit disrespectful to those who do sign your log. Personally, I'd feel "why bother?"

I've opened up caches where it's pretty obvious the CO doesn't care about the logbook and only put it in because they have to.....e.g. a logsheet in a regular size cache, a newsprint memopad that's falling apart after the first person signed it, a post-it-note pad, scrap bits of cut up paper. You just know that the CO could care less if someone signed in or left a message. Yeah, I've felt "why bother to even fish my pen out of my backpack".

Same here.

Wrt taking one of our cache logbook then emailing us for our address - I would feel very leery about giving someone I don't know our address. I would ask them to return the logbook to the cache or if that's not possible scan the pages and email the digital files to me (or put it on a blog and give me the web address to view and save the images).

I have repaced several wet logs, and I dry them off and send an email to the cache owner that if they want the log I would send it to them. I've talked to a bunch of cachers around my area and they agreed that was a great idea. It saves the CO some trouble, especially with some CO's moving out of the area.

If there is room in the cache for another log, I might add one and let the owner know the wet one is at the bottom. However, with the overabundance of "micro-spew" out there now, there is not room in many containers, so the above is how I handle it. If the cache owner doesn't reply within a month or so, obviously it means nothing to them and the wet log is treated accordingly.

I always add a log when I Find a wet one.

The only exception is when the cache is too small for two logs (some micros and all nanos)

In that case (and once in the case of a fake light bulb) I will try to sign it first. If it is at all signable, I will just sign it and note that the log needs replacing. If it is totally unsignable mess, I'll replace it and email the owner that I will be happy to send it to them. Generally if it is totally unsignable, then it is totally unreadable pulpy mess and there's really nothing they can do with it anyway. I've never had anyone want it back. But with a micro there's no room to write anything besides initials anyway.