First GPS Need Help Choosing!

flyboy7200

I didn't really want to spend more than $150 on a GPS I really have no idea what GPS brands are good.

I was looking to add some topo maps and i would use the GPS for Geocacheing, Hiking/camping, Hunting, Search and Rescue, and some use in soaring.

What do you think about the Garmin eTrex what are the differences between the models?

I was looking into the Garmin eTrex Venture HC for $99.99

Would it be better to spend an extra $80 to get the Legend HCX or the Vista HCX???

Are the Magellan Triton's any good? What about the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS or the CSX

How easy is it to fill up the 24mp with garmin topo maps?

Thanks a lot guys!

I recently started Geocaching and I went with a Magellan Explorist GC. I have been pretty happy with it - it has performed well...I do have a few others that I am looking at to eventually upgrade to, but for the price I think this Magellan is a great Caching GPSr.

You might want to keep your eyes open on the GPSr Garage Sale thread in these forums. There are a lot of good used units being sold there all the time.

We started out with a Geomate Jr. and after our first find we returned it. It is very unstable. You will get within 5 feet of where it tells you you need to go and then it will say you are 50 feet in the wrong direction. We currently use a eTrex Summit HC and are very pleased with it. It is durable and easy to use. Hope this helps. Happy caching!.

You'll fill those 24 megs in the Venture HC up pretty quickly with the Garmin 100K topo. You'll get map coverage of an area roughly the size of Pennsylvania (less in more mountainous areas) with the 100K topo. With the Garmin 24K topo you'd get map coverage of an area about the size of Rhode Island into a Venture HC.

So if you do any traveling outside your home area you'd probably be better off getting the Vista HCX or Legend HCX, or better yet the 60CSX which is still one of the most popular GPS units for good reason, it is an outstanding unit.

Only downside of the units you are looking into is that none are fully paperless units, meaning you'll get the cache name, owner name and coords and that's it. Though with the 60CSX and the HCX units there is a way using GSAK and the Garmin POI loader to get limited paperless functionality.

Don't bother with a 60CS. They weren't very good, and have been discontinued for years. I wouldn't bother with any Magellan because of their horrible reputation for customer service.

Edited by briansnat

I have an etrex legend and I like it a lot. I do all the activities you described and a few more and it has worked fine for me. I've bounced it off rocks, dropped it in creeks and mud. It's flown off my ATV and landed on hard ground etc. Currently I am looking at getting a nicer unit (the garmin astro) to help keep up with hunting dogs as well as handling all my other gps activities but the Legend has served me well up to this point and I feel confident recommending it to someone else. Hope this helps!

-ben

I own and use a Garmin 76Cx and a Garmin 450T. I know these are out of the $150 range, but after using paperless features on the 450 I would never go back to the non paperless. I think the garmin Dakota 20 series is paperless and so is the Delorme PN-40 and PN-60. Just something to think about. I geocache with a friend that has a Garmin 60CSX and it is every bit as good as any GPS that I have ever seen, but it is not paperless without some software manipulation. I have seen the Garmin 450 on sell for as low as $239, so look around, you will be tickled with that unit.

You'll fill those 24 megs in the Venture HC up pretty quickly with the Garmin 100K topo. You'll get map coverage of an area roughly the size of Pennsylvania (less in more mountainous areas) with the 100K topo. With the Garmin 24K topo you'd get map coverage of an area about the size of Rhode Island into a Venture HC.

So if you do any traveling outside your home area you'd probably be better off getting the Vista HCX or Legend HCX, or better yet the 60CSX which is still one of the most popular GPS units for good reason, it is an outstanding unit.

Only downside of the units you are looking into is that none are fully paperless units, meaning you'll get the cache name, owner name and coords and that's it. Though with the 60CSX and the HCX units there is a way using GSAK and the Garmin POI loader to get limited paperless functionality.

Don't bother with a 60CS. They weren't very good, and have been discontinued for years. I wouldn't bother with any Magellan because of their horrible reputation for customer service.

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply! Im still thinking about getting the Venture HC for $99 and may be upgrading later. I don't have much experience with the Garmin software. Can i pick and choose what regions i load onto the GPS like town by town? Im a little worried with only 24mb of memory its just so much more expensive to upgrade to a HCX or CSX

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply! Im still thinking about getting the Venture HC for $99 and may be upgrading later. I don't have much experience with the Garmin software. Can i pick and choose what regions i load onto the GPS like town by town? Im a little worried with only 24mb of memory its just so much more expensive to upgrade to a HCX or CSX

Garmin software allows you to choose map tiles to download They vary in size but don't get as granular as town by town. Here is a screen shot of the tiles in one region using Garmin's 100k Topo. You select the ones you want by clicking on them. The ones in pink have been selected.

8978f9fb-ec21-4cfc-8afc-3fa76a8db2c8.jpg

Edited by briansnat

We had a Magellan Triton for a while, and it was just hell trying to get it to work. For example, I walked down the street here in Cambridge, Ontario to test it out and the little arrow on the GPSr was going down the street in Las Vegas. A little bit off. But that might've just been my unit.

We have the Garmin Dakota 10 and absoloutely love it, haven't had many issues yet.

Something I didn't do that I wish I would have done was to go check them out first!

I bought a Garmin eTrex legend on the net. It was cheaper than at the store, but the font is so tiny I have to bring reading glasses just to see it. The contrast and light settings just don't bring enough clarity to the screen.

In the future, I will go to the stores and examine the screens and functions first, then shop on the net for the model I have decided to go with.

My Garmin works great, but if I had done my Due Diligence first, I would have popped for a better model. These devices aren't cheap, but I would rather spend a little more than be unsatisfied and have saved a few bucks. :)

Something I didn't do that I wish I would have done was to go check them out first!

I bought a Garmin eTrex legend on the net. It was cheaper than at the store, but the font is so tiny I have to bring reading glasses just to see it. The contrast and light settings just don't bring enough clarity to the screen.

In the future, I will go to the stores and examine the screens and functions first, then shop on the net for the model I have decided to go with.

My Garmin works great, but if I had done my Due Diligence first, I would have popped for a better model. These devices aren't cheap, but I would rather spend a little more than be unsatisfied and have saved a few bucks. :)

Hello,

Rather than a reply this is another question as I also want to buy my first GPS. Should I start a new thread or is it fine to ask this question here?

I have never used a GPS so I have no idea what they can do.

I would like a GPS that I will be able to use on the motorbike when I travel too.

I was looking at these here: http://www.precos.com.pt/gps-c3548/gps-mota

So, my questions are: Will any of those GPS be good for geocaching too, I assume I can insert a waypoint in most of them, but what if the geocache is out of a road or out of the map installed in the GPS, it will still point me to the right direction, right?

I was in a shop last week and most GPS said "not suitable for Geocaching". Whay would that be? (The seller could not answer me). What features do I need from a GPS to be able to geocache?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Yoram

Hello,

Rather than a reply this is another question as I also want to buy my first GPS. Should I start a new thread or is it fine to ask this question here?

I have never used a GPS so I have no idea what they can do.

I would like a GPS that I will be able to use on the motorbike when I travel too.

I was looking at these here: http://www.precos.com.pt/gps-c3548/gps-mota

So, my questions are: Will any of those GPS be good for geocaching too, I assume I can insert a waypoint in most of them, but what if the geocache is out of a road or out of the map installed in the GPS, it will still point me to the right direction, right?

I was in a shop last week and most GPS said "not suitable for Geocaching". Whay would that be? (The seller could not answer me). What features do I need from a GPS to be able to geocache?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Yoram

For Geocaching you need a unit that can go off road, i.e., the unit does not stay locked on to a road. They will need to have a pedestrian mode so you go down trails that are not on the road maps.

Several problems with car units.

They have limited battery life. If all you get are park and grabs, not an issue. If you wall a distance it is and issue.

They are not near a sturdy and weatherproof and handheld units.

Most don't have a compass mode. This allows the unit to have a compass arrow point in the direction of the cache. Without this your faced with the matching numbers method of finding caches.

These are probably the major points, but others have used car units to successfully geocache. Check out the getting started links on the left of the main page. There is information on choosing a GPS there.

If you are buying a Garmin unit buy an "x" model (i.e. HCx, Cx, CSx, etc.) These models indicate they take removable Micro SD chips. This alone is an incredible feature. You can 2meg cards pretty cheap and you can load them up with info, take them out, fill up another, and on and on. Just make sure you amrk what info is on each card so you can keep it all organized at a glance.

Brian

For Geocaching you need a unit that can go off road, i.e., the unit does not stay locked on to a road. They will need to have a pedestrian mode so you go down trails that are not on the road maps.

Several problems with car units.

They have limited battery life. If all you get are park and grabs, not an issue. If you wall a distance it is and issue.

They are not near a sturdy and weatherproof and handheld units.

Most don't have a compass mode. This allows the unit to have a compass arrow point in the direction of the cache. Without this your faced with the matching numbers method of finding caches.

These are probably the major points, but others have used car units to successfully geocache. Check out the getting started links on the left of the main page. There is information on choosing a GPS there.

If you are buying a Garmin unit buy an "x" model (i.e. HCx, Cx, CSx, etc.) These models indicate they take removable Micro SD chips. This alone is an incredible feature. You can 2meg cards pretty cheap and you can load them up with info, take them out, fill up another, and on and on. Just make sure you amrk what info is on each card so you can keep it all organized at a glance.

Brian

Thank you both of you, I understand now what I have to look for.

That will be more difficult, there are not many GPS for Motorbikes to choose from, plus now I need one with the off-road feature.

Yoram

That will be more difficult, there are not many GPS for Motorbikes to choose from, plus now I need one with the off-road feature.

There are bike mounts available for hand held units and many hand helds do a good job at automotive navigation and a great job geocaching. On the other hand most automotive units (like the ones you linked) to are not particularly good for geocaching, they are designed for automotive use.

A Garmin Map 60CSX, Oregin, Vista HCX or Legend HCX will do a fine job of navigating roads if you also spring for the City Navigator software.

Delorme PN40 and PN60 aren't nearly as good as the Garmin unit for road navigation, but they do have rudimentary navigation features and are excellent geocaching units.

There also are the Garmin Nuvi 500 and 550. These are automotive units that are ruggedized, water resistant and designed for outdoor use and have the geocaching friendly features that most other automotive units lack.

Another thing to consider with automotive units on you motorbike is that most are not water resistant. So if you run into a rain storm you will need to somehow protect the unit.

Edited by briansnat

There are bike mounts available for hand held units and many hand helds do a good job at automotive navigation and a great job geocaching. On the other hand most automotive units (like the ones you linked) to are not particularly good for geocaching, they are designed for automotive use.

A Garmin Map 60CSX, Oregin, Vista HCX or Legend HCX will do a fine job of navigating roads if you also spring for the City Navigator software.

Delorme PN40 and PN60 aren't nearly as good as the Garmin unit for road navigation, but they do have rudimentary navigation features and are excellent geocaching units.

There also are the Garmin Nuvi 500 and 550. These are automotive units that are ruggedized, water resistant and designed for outdoor use and have the geocaching friendly features that most other automotive units lack.

Another thing to consider with automotive units on you motorbike is that most are not water resistant. So if you run into a rain storm you will need to somehow protect the unit.

Thank you Briansnat,

Of all these, I prefer the Garmin Nuvi 550, it is the one nearest to what I need, it will have the possibility to connect ear-phones, is water and vibration proof and hopefully a power connector for the motorbike battery.

While rading about the above GPS, I came across these:

The GARMIN - DAKOTA 20 looks nice too. The Garmin Oregon 400T has topographic maps included, but I could not find about navigating on roads/cities (oh, it might be discontinued). Buyt these two have a quite small screen.

Is it possible to add topographic maps on any GPS?

Thanks,

Yoram

After reading up on several different units I went with the DeLorme PN-60 due to what is included with the unit at sale vs what you get with some others. I read lots of reviews and hope it works out for me.

DITTO

I use a PN-40(wife is holding it) and a Garmin NUVI to drive there, plus a Garmin Vista HCx for the finally kill. Bring extra batteries.

Keep in mind that cache hiders use different GPSrs, so having two brands will give you double the chance at the final. Most experienced COs use a Garmin 60CSx and I have found the Vista HCx to be just as accurate, but smaller and more power efficient.

One final point is that you need two GPSrs, a car one to get you there (these are so cheap now..a Garmin Nuvi 255WT for $79 at Best Buy). Plus a handheld for the final kill and for battery longevity. On the Nuvi, I don't think anyone has mention the use of GSAK and Pilotsnipe's Macro for true paperless caching with a NUVI. (Yes, it works on the 255W.) So with this combo, the cheapest handheld (Garmin) with High sensitivity receiver and micro-SD function would be what I would recommend. The recent addition of the PN-40 just allows me to dispense with carrying the Nuvi out for the paperless information.

Edited by alohabra

That is why I got the PN-40 (PN-60 was not out yet). It is more readable and is paperless. But I still use my Garmin Vista Hcx for accuracy. I place all caches using a Garmin.

Hello,

I went today to the shops and I could not find the Garmin Nuvi 550, they told me it was an old (2008) and discontinued GPS and there was nothing equally good and multivalent to replace it... disappointing. I'll keep looking.

What about the Garmin zumo 220? Anjy good for off-road geocaching?

Thank you

Edited by yoramdavid

Hello,

I went today to the shops and I could not find the Garmin Nuvi 550, they told me it was an old (2008) and discontinued GPS and there was nothing equally good and multivalent to replace it... disappointing. I'll keep looking.

What about the Garmin zumo 220? Anjy good for off-road geocaching?

Thank you

That is why I use two units...a Garmin Nuvi 255W and a handheld...Garmin Vista HCx...

I will admit I also have a DeLorme PN-40...my wife carries that when she is along on the expedition.

Point is ...the Nuvi 550 is a compromise...I would not use. My two will cost you less to buy also.

Aloha

That is why I use two units...a Garmin Nuvi 255W and a handheld...Garmin Vista HCx...

I will admit I also have a DeLorme PN-40...my wife carries that when she is along on the expedition.

Point is ...the Nuvi 550 is a compromise...I would not use. My two will cost you less to buy also.

Aloha

Hi Aloha,

I have read lots of reviews about the Nuvi 550, it is great but lacks of accuracy as they say.

I am wondering if the Zumo 220 would be good off-road, it seems to have good accuracy and has similar price.

But could not find reviews from it yet.

I would prefer to buy only one GPS...

Thank you for your help

Yoram

Edited by yoramdavid