Add Topo to a Nuvi 500?

mutt&bob

A nice feature that extends to the Nuvi series, maps no longer have to be combined in one file. you can create them on your computers harddrive, rename them to a meaningful name and copy the file to your Nuvi. Much nicer for updating maps.

Edited by Styk
A nice feature that extends to the Nuvi series, maps no longer have to be combined in one file. you can create them on your computers harddrive, rename them to a meaning full name and copy the file to your Nuvi. Much nicer for updating maps.
Not true, at least on my Nuvi 205W, I tried. Perhaps this is a firmware issue, I'm at ver 6.40.

Edit:

Just did a series of tests. I upgraded to v7.10 then tried various .img file names. Unequivocally, the Nuvi 205W will ONLY read maps using the file name gmapsupp.img. Of course CN has its own file name. Bummer. :D

Edited by MtnHermit
A nice feature that extends to the Nuvi series, maps no longer have to be combined in one file. you can create them on your computers harddrive, rename them to a meaning full name and copy the file to your Nuvi. Much nicer for updating maps.
Not true, at least on my Nuvi 205W, I tried. Perhaps this is a firmware issue, I'm at ver 6.40.

Edit:

Just did a series of tests. I upgraded to v7.10 then tried various .img file names. Unequivocally, the Nuvi 205W will ONLY read maps using the file name gmapsupp.img. Of course CN has its own file name. Bummer. :D

OK, noted, I'll amend my statement, the Nuvi 550 has this nice feature and pretty sure the 500 will as well.