Which "in-car" gps can I use for caching

voogoofish

Hello,

I'm trying to find an in car gps that I can grab and go get a cache with... I'm thinking more along the lines of the closer caches to the road (prob within a km) so I'm not hiking or anything...

I was looking at these below but really have no idea if loading up caches will work... some shops said yes and other no... no one as yet has actually given me a straight answer, but none knew or understood caching.

tomtom XL340

navman my60T

Garmin nuvi 1350

ANY HELP AT ALL IS APPRECIATED...

I use the NUVI 550 -- a garmin product that is specifically made for driving and caching. And it is pretty idiot-proof, too (as proven by the simple fact that I can use it). When you run a PQ, you can send it straight to the 550, and all the geocaching info will be there for you to peruse.

However, my buddy has figured out how to run macros, create his own macros, integrate other macros through GSAK and can now do about the same thing I can with my 550. When he talks to me about the newest things he's done, all I hear is "Wah, wah, wah, wah."

I just bought a 5-inch TomTom 540M (lifetime maps) for $90 on Amazon when it was on sale. I'm sure it will go on sale again soon so keep an eye open if you plan on looking. If you're set on the TomTom XL340 I figure you'd likely still have a similar experience as I did.

I just started geocaching and I've already found several. There are some 3rd party plugins (Offroad Navigator 3.0 for instance) that I downloaded (found by way of the TomTom forums) that make it easier. I've been saving my caches as itinerary files (.itn) which Offroad Navigator can pull up and pinpoint. I can get within 1-3 meters of a location fairly reliably.

I like this GPSr because it has a huge screen and a fairly easy interface. Battery life isn't the best, but I'm not out where I can't have it plugged into either the wall, computer, or car.

I've heard that the tomtom xl 340 can be used as a caching unit too with a bit of tweaking... is that true???

All automotive units can be used for geocaching, but are generally not good choices for it for a variety of reasons. Only the Nuvi 500 line is designed with geocaching and outdoor use in mind and addresses most of the weaknesses of the automotive units.

Edited by briansnat

I just had a discussion with Garmin about this. The Nuvi 500 and 550 are the only Garmin auto devices with geocaching features built in. You can use any of them using the POI Loader utility.

I was looking for a Garmin car GPS which I could use with a 62s so I could pull up a cache on my 62 and wirelessly transmit it to the car GPS to use it for turn-by-turn directions so I would not have to preload the car GPS and only use it as needed. Sadly, they say they don't support that.

I use the Garmin Nuvi 1300. This and other auto units like it are workable caching GPSs but are lacking as mentioned above.

The unit not being water resistant is probably the biggest problem. I also find the lack of a compass and distance to GZ to be a problem as well. So i keep a nice compass on me when i'm out caching. I find in car mode the map doesn't update you heading very well and in pedestrian mode the map stay still with up being North. So the compass is handy to figure out which direction you need to be heading.