What to Buy

dambuster

Im considering buying a new GPs cant decide between the GPSMAP 62s or the Dakota 20 so all you techies out there whats the best one. :anitongue:

What feature is more important to you?

A touchscreen is easier to use. But a touchscreen means the screen is not as bright. Other than that, the GPSMAP 62s is superior to the Dakota in everything except price.

If you're comparing the Oregon 450 to the GPSMAP 62s, it will be a more even comparison. The Oregon will have more details on a larger screen (twice the # of pixels) but not as bright. They both can hold the same # of geocaches / waypoints. Most believe the antenna design of the 62s is superior to the Oregon / Dakota. The 62s is more expensive than the Oregon.

After comparing the features, go into a store and hold them in your hand to see how it feels.

Edited by Chrysalides

If I move off my 60 I think I'll go to the 62. I like the buttons so I can use hem without having to watch the screen. Also, they don't take up any real estate from the screen as 'buttons' on a touchscreen would do. I'd like the convenience of the field note entry on the OR, but that is less important to me than the general usability of the core GPS functions.

You just gotta think of what is important to YOU and how each device's features fit your priorities.

If I move off my 60 I think I'll go to the 62. I like the buttons so I can use hem without having to watch the screen. Also, they don't take up any real estate from the screen as 'buttons' on a touchscreen would do. I'd like the convenience of the field note entry on the OR, but that is less important to me than the general usability of the core GPS functions.

You just gotta think of what is important to YOU and how each device's features fit your priorities.

I just upgraded to a 62s. For me the buttons are most important in the winter when it's 20F outside and I am wearing gloves... Touchscreen is kind of hard to use then (tried it)....

I would go with the 62s or the oregon 450 if you prefer touch screen. Both are an excellent choice and perfect for paperless...

Edited by geobernd