Nickel-Zinc Cells and 60Csx

jimlarkey

For you "mother of all GPSr's" users who are concerned about whether the NiZn's will fry your 60Csr, I can report success with my test. The chart below was developed by measuring the voltage across the cells, in the 60Csx while in operation. After 21 hrs of continuous, the cells were exhausted and the 60Csx shut down. This compares to 22 hrs for my Sanyo eneloops, tested similarly.

Yesterday I field tested my 60Csx with the NiZn's, hiking at 12,000' for 6 hours at temps of 15°F on the Continental Divide, with the GPSr fully exposed to the wind on my shoulder strap...no problems.

This is just one data point, and it would be interesting to hear from others who have tested the NiZn's in their GPSr's. Anybody else have data to share?

Cheers,

Jim

130740529.jpg

Yesterday I field tested my 60Csx with the NiZn's, hiking at 12,000' for 6 hours at temps of 15°F on the Continental Divide, with the GPSr fully exposed to the wind on my shoulder strap...no problems.

That's one of the things that really intrigued me about NiZn - the potential for a lot longer operation at cold temperatures. I know that in situations similar to yours, I've had my NiMH cells poop out prematurely due to the voltage drop induced by the combination of use (shortened) and temperature (bloody cold). My Garmin just gave up, as would be expected, when the voltage got low enough, but that didn't take very long with the exposure the unit got. The NiZn should hold a voltage acceptable to the Garmin until they are exhausted, giving them a decided advantage over NiMH in cold weather operation.

Bet you're not up on the Divide today if the wind down here in the Front Range is any indication of what's happening up there :) . Gusts must be close to 40~50mph.

We still haven't had much in the way of "seasonal" weather down here, but I fully expect that when I get back from vacation, my NiZn cells will be getting a cold weather workout around the Christmas holidays.

Wow so the eneloops actually outperformed the Ni-zinc's, in "warmer weather"? Interesting

No reason that NiMH and NiZn shouldn't be fairly close, slight edge to high capacity NiMH, in "warmer" weather. Total energy capacity of the NiMH can be higher, and if in an environment where it is able to actually deliver it, can beat NiZn. However, start to cool things down, and NiZn should have a decided advantage in run time, not to mention avoiding the compass calibration issue due to flatter discharge curve.

Just a final post....I've been using the NiZn's in my 60Csx for the past month or so, and I'm convinced that the higher voltage has improved the compass/bearing issue that I've experienced. I've done several off-trail hikes with route finding, and the bearing function works great.

Cheers,

jim

My NiZn cells are going back when I can find a receipt. They're done. They worked very well for the first few months, then started to run very short shifts. Now they're only good for a few minutes. Meanwhile, 2 year old NiMH cells are still chugging along.

Out of curiosity, do you have 1 bad cell per pair? Might be worthwhile trying to contact their support / warranty dept.

....."This is just one data point, and it would be interesting to hear from others who have tested the NiZn's in their GPSr's. Anybody else have data to share?"

Anybody?

There was a substantial thread on the topic here where some of us have already posted our experiences with these cells. Mine has been consistently good apart from the need to replace 1 cell (they sent me 4!). Find here -> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238898

My NiZn cells are going back when I can find a receipt. They're done. They worked very well for the first few months, then started to run very short shifts. Now they're only good for a few minutes. Meanwhile, 2 year old NiMH cells are still chugging along.

I've been using NiZn for about six months now and have recharged them many times. Then I started having the problem you described. One cell from each pair would not recharge. I've been using the 5 hour charger, which requires two cells at a time. I suspect they recharge them in series, which means the weaker cell always gets shortchanged. I recently got the 1 hour charger, which will charge one cell at a time. I recharged the weak cells, and they're doing much better.

I've just experienced my first bad cell of the 8 PowerGenix Ni-Zn's I bought on Nov 19, 2010. Only will discharge for 4 hrs compared to 22 hrs of other 7 AA PowerGenix cells. I'm using the white charger (single cell charger, but charging in pairs). Thank heavens for the old reliable eneloops.

Cheers,

jim

Edited by jimlarkey

I've just experienced my first bad cell of the 8 PowerGenix Ni-Zn's I bought on Nov 19, 2010. Only will discharge for 4 hrs compared to 22 hrs of other 7 AA PowerGenix cells. I'm using the white charger (single cell charger, but charging in pairs). Thank heavens for the old reliable eneloops.

Cheers,

jim

Give them a call at 858-652-3228 and tell them what you've got. I had one cell that finally refused to charge at all (not even recognized by charger). They asked me to return it to them for analysis, so I did - along with a note describing the length of time I'd had them and what kind of use they'd had - and they surprised me by sending a full set of 4 in return.

Interesting article...I suspect that PowerGenix's QC problems caught up with them.

Could be. Or perhaps they just weren't making any inroads with the product. Even though I usually follow this stuff, it seems that I didn't see near the marketing effort one would need to bring a new battery technology to market. I'm sure the marketing wonks at Powergenix would argue to the contrary, and it may have been a matter of budget vs. needs, but seemed too low profile to me.

On the strength of what these little buggers have done for me so far, I ordered up some additional 8-packs through Amazon while they're still available. It may be an orphaned technology, but I'm liking how they're working apart from the one cell that went belly up (out of 8). A 12.5% failure rate I can live with at this price.