Placing Cache - But Hidden Multi Stages

Kannafoot

I tried placing my first cache today and made sure I was over 0.2 miles from all published caches. It turns out, however, that there is the final stage of a multi hidden fairly close (about 350 feet) from where I placed my cache, so obviously it cannot be posted. Short of trial and error - which can quickly become an exercise in frustration - is there any way to place a cache and be certain that you're not within range of a multi? I'd really like to avoid having to constantly retrieve and relocate the cache just to find out if there's a multi-stage nearby.

That, btw, sounds like a great feature for the I-phone Geospeak App. When placing a cache, have it issue a proximity warning if there's a cache nearby that is not visible in an online search.

In any case, I'm open to any and all suggestions. There has to be a better way than trial-and-error to finding a cache placement location free of multi-stages.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer.

There has to be a better way than trial-and-error to finding a cache placement location free of multi-stages.
One thing I did was find them all first. Friends would hint "have you tried [particular cache] yet?" when I mentioned a certain local area. Once I figured I got them all, I went to the spot and checked distances. Then I filled out my new cache form and asked the reviewer about it. He checked and cleared it, before I even submitted it. Be real nice about asking -- it's like twice as much work for them for one cache. Edited by kunarion

Personally I don't see any problem with having the final caches close anyway. The only way anyone would know would be to work both caches. I think as long as the listed coordinates for the first redirect indicate they follow the rules of proximity it should be okay.

However, it just doesn't work that way. The guidelines do not allow caches near any physical stage of a multi.

Markwell's link is the correct answer.

That, btw, sounds like a great feature for the I-phone Geospeak App. When placing a cache, have it issue a proximity warning if there's a cache nearby that is not visible in an online search.

That would be a handy feature, but there is a problem with it. If you have a way to ask the system if you are close to a secret cache, then you could deduce its location by trying several points and asking if each one is too close or not. It would be like playing the game Battleship. If you tried enough points, eventually you would see a circle forming around one point, and that shows you the way to the hidden cache. And if the system told you "no, this spot is 300 feet north of a secret cache" then you would only need three other points to triangulate the location of the secret spot.

This is why the reviewers have to get involved. If someone is playing this game, a reviewer will notice "hey, this guy is guessing spots all around the location of a puzzle cache! Make them stop that!"

Personally I don't see any problem with having the final caches close anyway. The only way anyone would know would be to work both caches. I think as long as the listed coordinates for the first redirect indicate they follow the rules of proximity it should be okay.
Sure, until someone plops a traditional cache 5 feet away from the final for your multi-day adventure puzzle multi-cache...