Big Complaint About Garmin and/or Amazon

Doubledareya

If this is not the right place (forum) for my complaint, I am sorry. But I have a problem about ordering a DC power adapter for my GPSr.

I have a Garmin eTrex vista cx and have found it impossible to order a simple DC adapter for it. Last week I went to www.amazon.com and did a search for a power adapter for that unit. No problem. The page popped right up. It gave all the information I was looking for and said that the adapter "fits all" Garmin eTrex units. I know that I am NTB (not terribly bright) and gullible, but I naturally assumed that the adapter would fit my unit.

I ordered two of those rather expensive ($22 each) adapters and when they arrived yesterday they did not fit my GPSr. I didn't even have to take them out of their plastic bubble package to tell they wouldn't fit my unit. Anybody could tell that. So I went to the time and trouble to return them yesterday. Not only that, but I have spent the past 30 minutes (unsuccessfully) trying to find a simple DC adapter to what I believe is a fairly common unit. I have keyed in all the "correct" search words and I still cannot find anyone who wants to sell me the adapters (one for each vehicle) that I want. I wish there is someone out there out there who would like to sell me them as much as I would like to buy them. Can anyone please tell me how to order that adapter? My first choice would be Amazon, despite the fact that they lied (by saying the adapter they advertised fits "all" Vistas). I am willing to give Amazon a second chance to do the right thing here, but I am not married to them. All I want is to order--and receive--what I have just described above. I am not asking for the moon. Can anyone please help? TIA.

the problem probably comes from the fact that etrex isn't etrex and the different models have different connectors. i believe the higher-end models (including the vista cx) have a regular mini-usb-B connector, while the lower end models have a different (proprietary?) connector.

so basically you're looking for any car power adapter that provides a mini-usb-B plug. this is quite a common setup and you should be able to find a multitude of cheap, generic ones like that.

i'm sure somebody will correct me if anything of the above is incorrect. :blink:

the problem probably comes from the fact that etrex isn't etrex and the different models have different connectors. i believe the higher-end models (including the vista cx) have a regular mini-usb-B connector, while the lower end models have a different (proprietary?) connector.

so basically you're looking for any car power adapter that provides a mini-usb-B plug. this is quite a common setup and you should be able to find a multitude of cheap, generic ones like that.

i'm sure somebody will correct me if anything of the above is incorrect. :blink:

Make sure the cable you get is for charging devices, specifically. Some of the cheap cables will appear as a sync cable sometimes and then your typical Garmin device shows the "connected to computer" type message instead of the map/navigation.

I've found the Nuvi car chargers work with most Garmin USB type GPS units, and have that handy 90 degree connector in case your windshield mount is a little too close to the windshield or dashboard.

You are right on.

Go look for an adapter near the cell phone accessories. They are generally found for about $10 or less at many bigbox stores.

^^^ Thanks to the replies. Actually, I didn't mean to order two of the adapters; I accidentally entered the "Quantity" box on Amazon twice. But since I found that out too late, I thought I could justify my mistake by having one for each vehicle. As was asked (above), I really don't even "need" one. But I thought it would be kind of convenient to have one and that in the long run I could justify the cost by saving batteries. My GPSr must be a mini connection; it measures only 1/4 inch across at the widest point. Thank you, one and all, or the response. Please keep 'em coming. I am tempted to just contact Garmin and let them know what I would like and see if I can purchase it from them. Good idea?

Sometimes when you click on the Garmin page to buy stuff, they send you to amazon.com. Since it's a direct link, you should be ok. I haven't tried your specific item yet, but they sent me there.

And....you can get the part number and search amazon by that number.

I'm like you.... I get lots of stuff that doesn't work quite right. Then I drive down to Bestbuy and purchase it.

^^^ Thanks to the replies. Actually, I didn't mean to order two of the adapters; I accidentally entered the "Quantity" box on Amazon twice. But since I found that out too late, I thought I could justify my mistake by having one for each vehicle. As was asked (above), I really don't even "need" one. But I thought it would be kind of convenient to have one and that in the long run I could justify the cost by saving batteries. My GPSr must be a mini connection; it measures only 1/4 inch across at the widest point. Thank you, one and all, or the response. Please keep 'em coming. I am tempted to just contact Garmin and let them know what I would like and see if I can purchase it from them. Good idea?

No - it will cost a lot more than just a generic miniusb adapter from the phone department at wally world.

i had the venture hc and my generic car adapter (originally for my old blackberry) worked fine. I'm not sure if the vista is the same or not but if you know someone with a phone that uses a usb charger you can probably find out if it wil work without spending any $$$. I just got the garmin adapter for my dakota 20 because the blackberry adapter wasn't working great.

^^^ Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to respond to my question(s). I just came back from Radio Shack where I got just what I needed for only a fraction of what I paid for something that didn't work. On the plus side of the ledger, Amazon does make it pretty easy to return things and they are good about credit/refunds. However, I was--and am--just a little torqued that they would say an accessory works for "all vistas" and not add something like, "except on the eTrex Vista xc." That would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.

i had the venture hc and my generic car adapter (originally for my old blackberry) worked fine. I'm not sure if the vista is the same or not but if you know someone with a phone that uses a usb charger you can probably find out if it wil work without spending any $$$. I just got the garmin adapter for my dakota 20 because the blackberry adapter wasn't working great.

You can charge a Venture HC?

Mine uses AA batteries. Are you saying that if you connect to the unit's USB port it will charge the batteries? What happens if they are non-rechargeable?

You can charge a Venture HC?

Mine uses AA batteries. Are you saying that if you connect to the unit's USB port it will charge the batteries? What happens if they are non-rechargeable?

no not charge...most GPSrs cant be charged with a car adapter...it is just a power adapter to conserve battery power and allow the back light to stay on while in a vehicle. What I meant was that a car charger for a phone "MAY" work as a power adapter for the GPS not as a charger.