When you find a cache that needs a new log?

FloridaFour

Seems like my question that I wrote didn't go through, although the post title did...

Anyway, I was wondering:

If I find a cache that needs a new log, and I have one with me, can I put that in there and just leave a note in my online log about it? (leaving the old log in place if there is room)

If I find a nano cache that needs a new log, and I have one, can I replace that? What to do with the old log, since there is no room to keep an old and new one in a nano cache? Just mention that I swapped it out? Or would the CO be upset if I replaced it?

I see from some of the logs, some CO's get very upset if anyone does anything to their cache, like replace a plastic bag, or put the log in a plastic bag, even cleaning out items that they thought were junk, trash, etc. Other's are happy that someone helped them out. I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, but I do see some caches out there with disintegrated, ratty old logs that I could easily replace for about 50 cents or free if it's a printed paper scroll, and I don't mind doing it at all.

I have replaced logs before that were full, wet or otherwise in need of maintenance, if I have the supplies with me. I then send the CO a note, tell them what I did and ask if they want the old log. I have never gotten anything but thanks from the CO for doing the maintenance. Not one of them has asked for the old log.

Seems like my question that I wrote didn't go through, although the post title did...

Anyway, I was wondering:

If I find a cache that needs a new log, and I have one with me, can I put that in there and just leave a note in my online log about it? (leaving the old log in place if there is room)

If I find a nano cache that needs a new log, and I have one, can I replace that? What to do with the old log, since there is no room to keep an old and new one in a nano cache? Just mention that I swapped it out? Or would the CO be upset if I replaced it?

I see from some of the logs, some CO's get very upset if anyone does anything to their cache, like replace a plastic bag, or put the log in a plastic bag, even cleaning out items that they thought were junk, trash, etc. Other's are happy that someone helped them out. I'd rather not step on anyone's toes, but I do see some caches out there with disintegrated, ratty old logs that I could easily replace for about 50 cents or free if it's a printed paper scroll, and I don't mind doing it at all.

If I have the log or baggie handy (I ran out on a cache run last weekend) I'll swap it out if it's a macro. If the container can handle another log then I just add it. I've gotten a lot of nice comments from CO's for doing that as it saves them time & gas. I log it in the online log and I keep the old log around for a little bit. No complaints yet.

What I would suggest NOT doing is changing the environment. If a baggie is missing, don't add one (unless there is some unusual circumstance). If you replace a log, try to replace with a similar log. Don't replace a baggie with a bigger one. We've run into caches where replacement baggies, replacement logs, etc. have made the container hard to close and have actually let more moisture in as a result.

Also, some owners choose not to use baggies as they believe they have less issues without them. So you might not be doing them a favor by adding a baggie where one didn't exist.

In general, yes, it is perfectly fine to add a new log and then mention it in your online log. Replacing a nano log does get a bit trickier, as you say, 'cause you will have to take the old one with you. I have on occasion done that, and offered to get the old log to the cache owner. Not one has ever taken me up on that offer.

Some cache owners will get funny about that, but you can't please everyone. By adding at least a temp log, you are not only helping out the cache owner, but those cachers that might find the cache before the owner can get to it.

Thank you all for replying, I think I have a better handle on what to do now. It will also help me out when I go to place my first cache! Nano logs are easily mailed to the CO, so that would be an easy thing to do if I decide one needed to be changed right away. I think for now I will just email the CO if there is still some room for a few days of signatures and see how that goes. Maybe once I get to a Event this December and meet some local geocachers I will feel more comfortable.

I always carry a couple of logbooks and a supply of ziplocks (in 3 sizes) with me. Being a very wet climate around here, I find that I often replace damaged ziplocks or soaked logbooks. I've never yet had a CO complain. If they did, I would just ignore them. Complaining about someone replacing a ziplock or a soggy logbook is pretty petty. I'm thrilled when someone fixes one of my caches for me - it saves me a trip.

Nano and micros are a different matter. Although I often carry a nano or micro cache in my caching bag, I don't bother to replace full or soggy logs in them because I honestly don't know what to do with the old logbook. In those cases, I leave a note for the CO and/or a Maintenance Required log.

I have replaced a log in a nano that the co had ignored mantiance logs

I did take a photo of the old log and post it as a photo on the cache site.

If the CO is ignoring "needs maintenance" logs, a "needs archived" log might get his attention. If not, at least it will open the surrounding .1 mile radius to a more responsible cache owner.