Garmin 62s - Possible Software Bug With Profiles?

janandsteve

Possible software bug with using Profiles?

Here we have the situation. 2 Profiles – Geocaching and Car.

The idea is not to use ( and therefore not have to program ) the in-car sat nav to navigate between cache sites. Hence I have used the 62s with a Car profile, set to ‘recalculate on road’.

In the Car profile, all I want the map screen to show is the ‘3D’ map – without any data fields showing. I have gone into map setup and made sure that ‘data fields’ is set to ‘0’.

Now I change profile to Geocaching.

On the Geocaching profile, I want the map screen to show the Geocaching Dashboard as the ‘data field’ at the top, but when I start to navigate ( ie move ) the Geocaching Dashboard disappears. I have gone into map setup, down to ‘data fields’ and notice that this has changed to ‘custom’. I investigate further and note that ‘when navigating’ the datafield is set to ‘0’ and the ‘when not navigating’ is set to ‘Geocaching’ – which would explain the behaviour of the missing dashboard when moving. I then go back to ‘data fields’ and set this to ‘Geocaching’ – the dashboard now remains at the top of the map page while moving and standing still.

Now back into the Car profile….onto the map page. Into map setup, and notice that the ‘data fields’ has now changed to ‘custom’. I go into this and now note that the datafields have changed …. ‘when navigating’ is now set to ‘automotive’ and ‘when not navigating’ is now set to ‘0’ – but I want the max size screen when driving to the next cache site without any data fields showing – but the automotive dashboard comes up when I start moving. I reset it back to ‘0’, and then go and investigate the Geocaching profile once again…… and find that this has now changed….. data fields have gone back to ‘custom’ and ‘when navigating’ the datafield is set to ‘0’ and the ‘when not navigating’ is set to ‘Geocaching’……

I have deleted all profiles and started afresh, but the problem still exists. I am currently running the latest 2.80 software. ( It was also present on 2.70 ). I also have a ‘Boat’ profile which uses Bluechart marine maps and changing the ‘data fields’ ‘custom’ ‘when navigating’ seems to change across all profiles, when the idea of profiles is that it should remember the setting relevant to the profile in use. The interesting thing is that the ‘when not navigating’ data field is remembered to the specific profile.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue, and if it is a possible software bug that needs fixing? If so, how do we tell Garmin of the issue? The Garmin Forum site doesn’t seem to have a category to ask this question.

Thank you in advance.

The idea is not to use ( and therefore not have to program ) the in-car sat nav to navigate between cache sites.

Am not familiar with the specific problem you presented, but am curious to know why you avoid the vehicle unit -- unless it's a "built-in", in which case I can fully understand, and the rest of this can be ignored. Besides the price, the inability to load my own custom POIs is one of the many reasons I still won't buy an in-dash system (yet).

Many of the stand-alone units designed for vehicle use can easily have the same cache waypoints loaded that you use on your 62. Rather than programming individually, you can usually load them in "bulk" just like you would your 62.

The idea is not to use ( and therefore not have to program ) the in-car sat nav to navigate between cache sites.

Am not familiar with the specific problem you presented, but am curious to know why you avoid the vehicle unit -- unless it's a "built-in", in which case I can fully understand, and the rest of this can be ignored. Besides the price, the inability to load my own custom POIs is one of the many reasons I still won't buy an in-dash system (yet).

Many of the stand-alone units designed for vehicle use can easily have the same cache waypoints loaded that you use on your 62. Rather than programming individually, you can usually load them in "bulk" just like you would your 62.

Thanks for the feedback.

My car sat nav is the detachable type and I have programmed it up before with the caches, but since moving to the Garmin 62s, I find that its easier to just dump 1000 caches into it and go, as opposed to bringing in the satnav and having to program 2 units - its just easier for me to hit 'navigate on roads' if the need arises to get me to a new location wihich has a few caches. Everytime I load a PQ, I would have to load a fresh set into the car one, just in case of new caches in the area. I would then have to search the car system for the cache in question..... easier to just hit 'navigate on raods' on the 62s. I have the Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K maps loaded for the UK.... to quote Garmin.... 'The premium NAVTEQ road data is the same detailed data included in our leading automotive products - with thousands of addresses and points of interest, including lodging, food and drink, car parks, banks, petrol stations, attractions, campsites, and more. Search for an address or point of interest, and your Garmin device displays turn-by-turn directions to your destination'

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards

Steve

I confirmed this problem on my 62, it seems like the 62 is treating the Data Field "Custom" setting as global. Its been sent off to Garmin...

Thanks for the feedback.

I contacted Garmin UK earlier today by phone, and they told me that they were unaware of the issue. They asked me to send an email detailing the problem, which I did..... The email was addressed to the individual I spoke to. I await their response and look forward to this issue been resolved in a later version of the software. They also confirmed that there is no forum topic available to post this into on the garmin forum site - another issue he told me he would investigate. I'll post back any response I get from them, and will chase in a week or so, if they do not get back to me. I have an individual's name as single point of contact.

Regards

Steve

I confirmed this problem on my 62, it seems like the 62 is treating the Data Field "Custom" setting as global. Its been sent off to Garmin...

Thanks for the feedback.

I contacted Garmin UK earlier today by phone, and they told me that they were unaware of the issue. They asked me to send an email detailing the problem, which I did..... The email was addressed to the individual I spoke to. I await their response and look forward to this issue been resolved in a later version of the software. They also confirmed that there is no forum topic available to post this into on the garmin forum site - another issue he told me he would investigate. I'll post back any response I get from them, and will chase in a week or so, if they do not get back to me. I have an individual's name as single point of contact.

Regards

Steve

Not forgotten about this. Despite several chases to Garmin, I still await their reply. Lets hope someone has already actioned and we see the error corrected in a future ( hopefully next ) release of software.

I have been waiting for this bug to be fixed since I bought my 78s last July. It would seem that data fields are remembered through profile changes but the guidance text and dashboard settings are lost. After seven firmware releases (since July) and this bug existing in every version it would seem Garmin has other priorities.

Nice to see that the beta team have fixed this in the new 2.93 beta.... however another prob now arises.....

The profile issue I mentioned at the beginning of this thread is now fixed, but when I select Automotive mode from setup map > orientation, no roads show on Discoverer maps...... an email is on its way to the beta team.