Magellan eXplorist GC - electronic compass?

Does the Magellan eXplorist GC have an electronic compass?

No it doesn't. The only new series eXplorist units that have an electronic 3 axis compass are the 610 and 710. I find it an invaluable tool and "can't" cache without it!

Would you happen to recommend what 'entry level paper-less' GPS does have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

For the price, you can't beat an eXploristGC in my opinion.

While it may not have an electronic compass, it does have the sun and moon icons on the compass ring which allow you to align the compass quickly.

Honestly, I think this feature is over-rated (electronic compass). Once you're that close to a cache you should be using your eyes on not relying on the compass for those last few feet.

Check out the eXplorist - it's a good unit.

While it may not have an electronic compass, it does have the sun and moon icons on the compass ring which allow you to align the compass quickly.

Honestly, I think this feature is over-rated (electronic compass). Once you're that close to a cache you should be using your eyes on not relying on the compass for those last few feet.

Ok, so I am a complete newb. When you say 'it does have the sun and moon icons on the compass ring' does this mean:

- I can stand and turn around on the spot and the compass/arrow will turn to point to the cache?

Thanks!

Ok, so I am a complete newb. When you say 'it does have the sun and moon icons on the compass ring' does this mean:

- I can stand and turn around on the spot and the compass/arrow will turn to point to the cache?

Thanks!

Basically yes. Around the perimeter of the compass dial you will see a sun and a moon icon. Just spin the GPS around in your hand until the sun (or moon) icon is towards the actual sun. After you've done that, the pointer will be pointing towards your destination. On a cloudy day however, you're stuck :mad:

It's good practice to carry a good old fashioned mechanical compass with you on your outings. Use it along with your GPSr :angry:

Thanks!

Basically yes. Around the perimeter of the compass dial you will see a sun and a moon icon. Just spin the GPS around in your hand until the sun (or moon) icon is towards the actual sun. After you've done that, the pointer will be pointing towards your destination. On a cloudy day however, you're stuck :mad:

It's good practice to carry a good old fashioned mechanical compass with you on your outings. Use it along with your GPSr :angry:

Hi, I am still very new and I am thinking of buying the eXplorer-GC , So out of what i have read, it is not a bad thing if it does not have an electronic compass? And please , could you explain more in detail this Sun/Moon icon thing, because I couldn't understand a thing :P

Thanks!

I absolutely LOVE my Magellan eXplorist GC, but north bounces around the ring when I am standing still. But once you're with in 6-3 feet you should be able to find a cache compass or not. Plus I like to dance like a bumble bee every now and then.

I've used a garmin car gps to cache and also a fancy pantsy touch screen gps my Dad bought for his caching experiences. The magellan GC is my favorite and the easiest of all to cache with that I have used.

An electronic compass is a nice feature but not needed. If you get the eXplorist GC it will still give you an arrow pointing in the direction of the cache and distance to the cache. The difference is you have to start walking in a direction so the unit can calculate what direction your heading. The same goes for most hand helds that don't have an electronic compass.

I've considered getting the GC so i can go paperless and have full color screen. The only thing stopping me is the inability to upgrade to a better map. I find bodies of water to be a big hurdle while i'm caching. So i need a unit that has a good enough map to show all the lakes and streams. Most base maps don't cover that. So i'll just have to save up for a comparable Garmin since free maps are readily available for them.

Here you can see the icons of the Sun and the Moon on the compass face. These icons move depending on where the sun and moon are in the sky. While you are walking or driving the compass points in the right direction. This is why most people try to walk at an even pace in a straight line until the GPS says 0 - 9 feet from geocache, then start looking all over with their eyes instead.

capture_1.png

Hope the image helps!

from the perspective of someone that started caching in 2002 with an early etrex, the GC is a most excellent GPSr, especially for the price. (I paid under 70 bucks out the door for mine, new in sealed box, on clearance at Target.)

No, it doesn't have a digital compass, but the early GPSr's didn't either and we all found caches just fine. My last etrex (I went through a few over the years) DID have the e compass, and while it IS handy, but I think the better GPS receiver in the GC is a better feature than the digital compass in the etrex.

Another knock against the digital compass feature on the etrex was it decreased battery life.

Anyway, my 2c, the electronic compass feature is nice, but not worth the money necessary to get it. If you like the other features the more expensive GPSr's have, and dont mind the price then my all means get and use the electronic compass, just know that it isn't a necessary feature.

An electronic compass is a nice feature but not needed. If you get the eXplorist GC it will still give you an arrow pointing in the direction of the cache and distance to the cache. The difference is you have to start walking in a direction so the unit can calculate what direction your heading. The same goes for most hand helds that don't have an electronic compass.

I haven't missed it much, I just have to remember to keep moving, but yes, that's the key. As you move, it calculates direction and for the most part, that's good enough. You should be able to get within the margin of error either way (about 3 meters) and once you're there, even a really good GPSr will probably not help you much with or without compass.

For the money, the Explorist GC is a good deal.

I WOULD NOT buy a GPS without a three-axis electronic compass....I have about 10 GPS's without one and about 10 with one ( Garmins and Magellans ). As you say , its nice standing still and having your unit point righ at the cache......when you're in the thick stuff its not always easy to walk 3 miles/hr while expanding the search.If I could only have one feature on my unit it would be the compass.

Does the Magellan eXplorist GC have an electronic compass?

No it doesn't. The only new series eXplorist units that have an electronic 3 axis compass are the 610 and 710. I find it an invaluable tool and "can't" cache without it!

Well, you can cache without the super features. I am finding the eXplorist 610 a fantastic GPS. I've been carrying an original Etrex Legend for 10 years as I hated the Magellan equipment back then. It was so hard to set up then. I've only had the E610 for 2 days but, Magellan has come a long way! Best change is that the receiver works in many conditions where the old Etrex would never have worked. The other wonderful thing is that you do not have to find north by walking - and looking like an idiot ;) to some. I will still keep the old Etrex Legend as a backup because it is still a good navigation aid - there are several horizontal lines missing - although the display mostly works... the e610 rocks!!! Lets see if it holds up to 10 years of Weasel abuse, LOL