Got Skull?

Triplezed

OK, I've just stashed my first cache this weekend, GC2HK1M, and it's official...I'M A GEEK!! :santa:

Now that I have been bitten by the GC bug, I am planning my next cache. I have a large ammo box and I want to place an animal skull in it. The skull is very old, well weathered, dry, and clean of any debris or odor. I've even taken additional steps in washing it in warm water and scrubbing it with a toothbrush. I want to paint it to reduce the creepy appearance of the skull and give it a more "pleasing" look. This will be the namesake of the cache and labeled as such with...DO NOT REMOVE FROM THE CACHE...on it somewhere and hopefully it will remain with the cache.

But a friend brought up a question of ethics when I mentioned the skull placement. She asked me if it was OK to place a skull inside of a cache. And I didn't have an answer for her.

So here I am...asking for opinions.

Thanks!

ZZZ

Here's the link to what Groundspeak have to say about it: Cache Contents

I'm not sure whether a very well cleaned animal skull would come under the heading of "questionable items" or not. :santa:

My personal opinion? We'd be happy to find such an item in a cache. MrB in particular is interested in all aspects of natural history and we have a couple of complete skulls from smaller animals in our house.

MrsB

Here's the link to what Groundspeak have to say about it: Cache Contents

I'm not sure whether a very well cleaned animal skull would come under the heading of "questionable items" or not. :santa:

My personal opinion? We'd be happy to find such an item in a cache. MrB in particular is interested in all aspects of natural history and we have a couple of complete skulls from smaller animals in our house.

MrsB

I read that, but it's kinda vague...like I said, I'm gonna paint it to give it a more "pleasing" or "happier" appearance...lots of bright colors! I guess the worse thing that can happen is the someone asks me to remove it from the cache.

ZZZ

She asked me if it was OK to place a skull inside of a cache.
The stuff in the containers tends to get severely man-handled (dumped onto the sidewalk, dropped back in), or packed tight and crushed. Then there's the issue of moisture. You could coat the skull in a thick waterproof coating, something that will help hold it all together and prevent mold.

I think it's OK to place it in the container, although if it's not secured to the container, your skull will likely walk away (people don't always read labels).

Edited by kunarion

Like kunarion, I'd be most concerned with its durability and portable-ness. Life in a cache can be kind of rough sometimes and if it looks too happy, someone might decide it's great swag. Still, it sounds pretty cool. What animal did it come from?

Not positive...but most likely it's a deer skull, judging from the teeth.

I had a cache called "Alas poor Yorik" which was a micro embedded in a reproduction human skull. The only problem with this type of cache is that they get stolen :huh:

I did include however include this warning

"Alas, poor Yorik! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy". Hamlet - line 177

Originally placed as a Haloween cache, there is however nothing stopping you from looking up this old friend at any other time of year, so what are you waiting for.

The nature of this one should be obvious from the title, but just in case, dont let young children or those of a nervous disposition seek Yorik alone, he won't mind, but they might. Once you've met him I think you'll agree that anyone who could fancy him in his present state needs their head examined too.

Edited by Kryten

It has begun...LOL!!

I've got a few Sharpie pens that I used to start coloring the skull...now it almost looks voodoo-ish! :huh:

But I don't care...I'm having fun with this. I sure hope no one buries it because they don't know how to deal with their feelings...I'm putting a lot of work into this project.

Thanks for all the comments, I'm new to this hobby and I really like it.

ZZZ

"so here I am...asking for opinions"

Wow, harsh. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. It's not a matter of "dealing with my feelings." It appears you're the one that cannot "deal with your feelings" when someone disagrees with you. Noted.

You should have worded your OP to say that only those that support your idea should bother posting.

I think I will ignore your caches and posts now anyway. Happy caching.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

"so here I am...asking for opinions"

Wow, harsh. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. It's not a matter of "dealing with my feelings." It appears you're the one that cannot "deal with your feelings" when someone disagrees with you. Noted.

You should have worded your OP to say that only those that support your idea should bother posting.

I think I will ignore your caches and posts now anyway. Happy caching.

Thanks!! ;)

And happy caching to you too! I checked out your profile, it looks like you've had pretty good success. The ammo box that I will be using is about the same size as the one your holding on http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=3359621 your profile pic.

But since you're ignoring my posts, I guess you won't read this...right? :rolleyes:

ZZZ

OK...I have destroyed :unsure: the deer skull with 6 different colors of Sharpie pens, yep it pretty much looks like a colored content map from school of Africa or some creepy voo-doo movie thing. I admit that I am NOT an artist and it shows! Sometimes I wonder if I should have left it in its natural state. It is (now) what it is!!

But it's too late now....Cache ON!, Trash Out!! ;)

Watch for the plantation of this cache...it's gonna be a larger REGULAR sized cache...but it is yet a work in progress!!

Thanks to everyONE here for their opinions...yes, you too young lady! I wasn't harsh just honest...keep smiling, you look soooo much sweeter!

Look me up on GeoCaching.com,

ZZZ - Triplezed

OK, I've spent several days coloring the deer skull and applying ump-teen layers of clear coat on it. Today I created a unique camo patter to the cache box that it will go in, using natural stencils from around the yard. And I have to admit that the skull leaves plenty of room for "artistic" improvement...but the cache box is very impressive for my first attempt at camo-ing.

Now, I'm just waiting on the Geo-Label and RITR Logbook to arrive...and it'll be good to go! Thanks to all who offered up their opinions...both positive and negative...everyone of them helped with this project! :)

CITO,

ZZZ